PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Kurt Warner be a Hall of Famer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kurt Warner stopped whining and blaming the Patriots as cheaters for the reason he lost his second Superbowl, it would be a lot easier to root for him today and for the HOF.

No. But if he wins today, he'll get in. Ugh. Good thing I dont think they will win.

I'm not sure he was in before this year but I think he's in now. He's definately in if they win today.

Absolutely not. He's the epitome of a system quarterback; any decent QB would look a million times better when playing with the best runningback in the game, the best receiving corps in the game and arguably the best offensive line in the game (or at least the best pass blocking o-line). He had 3 good years playing with the most stacked of stacked teams, contributing far less than Faulk, Pace, Bruce and Holt. If he gets in, Rich Gannon should get a wing dedicated to him, and I wouldn't allow Rich Gannon into the Hall of Fame if he gave me his career earnings.
Kurt Warner is not, in my opinion, a HOF QB. Tell me, exactly what in the hell is a "system quarterback?" I have heard Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and countless others referred to as "system quarterbacks." What I have never heard is one genuine, bonafide, real football person ever once use this term. Please tell me WTF it means, other than that it is a thinly-veiled way of explaining how someone who has been very successful at the postion attained that success without being very talented. What a load of BS...

Most of you Probably don't agree.

But here's why I think he Should be in.

41 td's in 1999

Highest Completions percent for a career 65.6%

2nd Highest passer rating for a career 94.1%

2nd Most passing yards in a season 4830 Yards

The Most consecutive 300 yard games - 6 games

The only player to ever throw for 300 yards 8 times or more in 3 seasons

3rd Highest avg. gain for a career - 8.21 yard

Superbowl winner and mvp

Two Time NFL MVP

Warner's Career numbers-
att comp pct yds ypa lg td int rating
2508 1645 65.6 20591 8.21 85 125 83 94.1

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

IF he and the Cards WIN today.......He will get in............If not, questionable.....very important game for him.......

We can't knock Warner for playing on talented offenses. The man's numbers are phenomenal.

Do we discredit Phil Jackson for coaching elite talent?
Do we discredit Emmit Smith for running behind one of the best O-lines ever?
Do we discredit McDaniels for coaching HOF talent that would turn any turd play into gold?

Last edited:
Try this:

48-37 career record as starting QB.
28,591 yards in the modern QB era (ranked 38th)
3 Pro Bowls.
91 career fumbles (ranked 19th with substantially fewer games than other career QBs).
93.9 career rating (4th all time - but 110 games over 11 seasons and heavily weighted to 3 great years - only 5 times in 11 seasons he threw for over 3000 yards).

While you cannot fault him for playing with supernatural receivers, nor can you credit him with their success (check Boldin/Fitzgerald stats before and after Warner and Bruce/Holt before and after - major changes?).

Warner is not Namath, playing on restructured knees. Nor is he Terrell Davis, who was literally unstoppable in those Super Bowl years (and no guarantees he gets in - same number of Pro Bowls and history status of numbers in his 8 year career with debilitating injuries, not outperformed-itis sending him to the bench).

The question is how does one go from a good QB to a Hall of Fame QB after one year? This season has been phenomenal, but Warner will have to sell the Hall on his career work, not this one season. There are plenty of years in 11 career years that the general population wouldn't even know he was still in the NFL. And for those singing his praises with the franchise as starting QB, the Cards were 2-8 his first year, 1-4 his second year, 5-6 with him as QB last year, and 9-7 this year. That series of records does not cause me to chant Hercules or savior. Impact player worthy of the Hall? If he wins this game for the Cards I think you can argue the point, and his playoff stats would support that argument. Otherwise, I don't even think there's much of an argument.

Warner is not Namath, playing on restructured knees. Nor is he Terrell Davis, who was literally unstoppable in those Super Bowl years (and no guarantees he gets in - same number of Pro Bowls and history status of numbers in his 8 year career with debilitating injuries, not outperformed-itis sending him to the bench).

Warner is Warner, playing with a thumb that's never been 100% post-injury. People forget about that injury.

Warner is Warner, playing with a thumb that's never been 100% post-injury. People forget about that injury.

The thumb injury was 2001. How long did that injury take to heal? Here's a list of his career injuries for purposes of the discussion. Here's a pretty good argument for the case in favor of his candidacy.

Again, I don't dislike Warner (although his references to the Pats have become increasingly annoying) and he is a great story. My issue would be his career accomplishments over an 11 year career. Much like baseball hall of famers, do inconsistent/sporadic flashes of greatness get you through the door? Bledsoe put up some equally silly season numbers with less to throw to, and I wouldn't be nominating him for the Hall. I would add if Warner gets in Terrell Davis better be there with him. I would take Davis's impact over his three great seasons over Warner's impact any day of the week. Without Davis, the Broncos don't win. Without Warner (meaning Trent Green plays), I am not so sure.

Last edited:
Since nobody discredits Peyton for playing with all star talent to put up his stats, why knock Warner?

Even before the Super Bowl, Kurt Warner is a hall of famer.

Still on the fence about this one, but I think that his performance tonight could certainly be a dealbreaker toward his induction. He played great football against the clear number 1 defense in the NFL tonight. He only really made one mistake (and granted, it was a huge one), but being baited by a defense this good isn't a horrible crime. If one of 11 guys could have tackled a 275+ pound man before he rumbled 100 yards, the Cards may well have won that game.

I really don't like the man. He's a sanctimonious preacher who can't get over perceived, (i.e. fictional) wrongdoings that he feels were committed before SB 36, despite overwhelming proof of no foul play. But if he were a HOFer, I can't say it would bother me all that much.

I think so. The only argument I would see against him is that he did not put up any great numbers without a great supprting group. i still say he is one

No. He wasn't good for nearly long enough. And while he was good he had an outstanding offense around him; not that the second point disqualifies him but it's a factor. Regardless, he only had 3 excellent seasons and he's been in the league 8 years.

Definite no.

Pretty much. When you think of the great QBs in Canton, there's Marino, Elway, Kelly, Montana, even Warren Moon. In other words, guys who were great year after year with only occasional bad days.

Warner is just the opposite; mediocre-to-bad most years, with two great years and one really good year. I mean seriously, this guy dropped off the map after SB 36 until now. Plenty of guys have great games in the Super Bowl or other playoff games but don't get into the HOF.

I don't know, it may come down to who he is up against when it comes time for his vote. He had a few incredible years but he didn't stay at a high level for a long time. If he gets in it would bother me only if there are other more obvious choices left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes