PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should Kurt Warner be a Hall of Famer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about gale sayers or terell davis?
How about them? Gale Sayers was like Sandy Koufax in the other sport...so phenomenal of a runner, like Koufax was a pitcher, that you'd break rules for them WRT hall of fame eligibility. Terrell Davis is not in the HOF. I think the shortness of his career, and his not being in the most elite class for ability (Jim Brown, Sayers, O.J., Barry Sanders), keeps him out, at least so far. Kurt, like others have said, doesn't have the overall body of work.

Hall of Fame not Hall of Good.

You put Warner in, then atleast call it the Hall of Good.

Kurt Waner in the Hall of Fame: Definitely NOT!

I would Kurt Warner out of the HOF for the same reason that Terrell Davis would be left out: lack of longevity.

Nope No Way

I really think that your peeing into the wind here. Kurt Warner is not a Hall of Famer. And the last peple that you could convince is NE Pats fans, after Belicheck exposed him in the Super Bowl.

yes

kurt warner should be in the QFC hall of fame

get a grip--warner was a flash in the pan--NO HOF

yeah he should be in the hall of fame...

The "I don't know how to shave" and "my wife has shorter hair than me" hall of fames. haha ok not funny

sorry but this site is frickin' boring tonight

sticking just to Warner, the stats say no. he's only played 80 games, well below any SB era HOF. his completion percentage is high, but he's only attempted 2,508 passes, well below any SB ERA HOF QB and way below the average or median of SB ERA HOF QB's . he "coulda" been a HOF QB, but he's a great QB who didnt' make it happen beyond one season. there are several others you'd have to consider before you got to him. not even a serious discussion.

I say no. Only way he gets in is if he goes to a team, starts, and his team wins the Super Bowl.

I know he has one ring, but I feel he needs a second. I do agree he has only had a short time, but multiple rings as a QB that played well in a short time, helps him.

I say no. Only way he gets in is if he goes to a team, starts, and his team wins the Super Bowl.

I know he has one ring, but I feel he needs a second. I do agree he has only had a short time, but multiple rings as a QB that played well in a short time, helps him.
Not gonna happen. Warner is over the hill. Way over. Even if he did somehow reverse that and lead a team to another SB win, Jim Plunkett has two rings and he's not in. Stop the madness!

Absolutely not. He's the epitome of a system quarterback; any decent QB would look a million times better when playing with the best runningback in the game, the best receiving corps in the game and arguably the best offensive line in the game (or at least the best pass blocking o-line). He had 3 good years playing with the most stacked of stacked teams, contributing far less than Faulk, Pace, Bruce and Holt. If he gets in, Rich Gannon should get a wing dedicated to him, and I wouldn't allow Rich Gannon into the Hall of Fame if he gave me his career earnings.

Not gonna happen. Warner is over the hill. Way over. Even if he did somehow reverse that and lead a team to another SB win, Jim Plunkett has two rings and he's not in. Stop the madness!

I said it would help him, meaning alot more votes, not sure how many, but his chance of getting in goes up if he can win another Super Bowl, but still, it would be no guarentee that he gets in the HoF.

Last edited:
Maybe the Arena League HOF - not for his NFL career.

But not in New York or Arizona, where he was exposed as a fraud. Sayers and Davis's injuries were far more serious and ultimately led to the end of their careers.

Trent Green would have done just as well with the Rams that year if our friend Rodney had not knocked him out. Warner was the ultimate system QB. He did not do anything like Montana, who went to the Chiefs his last year and nearly brought them to the Super Bowl, to prove that he was not a system QB.
Wow how things have changed since I first posted this, which was one of my first post, and I got beat up bad for it. I also got beat up for suggesting the Pats should give up a #1 pick for Randy Moss.

Concensus is not a fact based exercise.

That's the problem with numbers. Did you watch Namath and Warner?

That's why Don Sutton is in the Hall Of Fame and Tiant and other more dominant pitchers aren't.

I think Bledsoe is close, but not in. A couple years in a pass happy offense doesn't make you a hall of Famer, which is why....................

Warner is not close to being close to HOF.

It's silly to suggest that a two-time league MVP that holds several all-time NFL marks, that also has a Super Bowl MVP "is not close to being close to HOF". You may not think he deserves to be in, but to suggest that he's not close is pretty ridiculous. He may very well get in on the first ballot. Not saying he definitely will, or even should, but he might.

I really think that your peeing into the wind here. Kurt Warner is not a Hall of Famer. And the last peple that you could convince is NE Pats fans, after Belicheck exposed him in the Super Bowl.

Exposed him? Granted, he didn't have his best game, but he threw for 365 yards and a TD, and also ran for a TD. 365 yards and two scores accounted for.....that's not bad. One of his INT's, lest we forget as Patriots fans, came when Vrabel whacked him in the helmet. When we complain that Charles Woodson hit Brady in the head on the famous tuck rule, so the Pats should have gotten 15 yards anyway, we conveniently forget that Vrabel most assuredly hit Warner in the helmet. So not only should that not have been a pick, it wouldn't have been 7 points for New England, and it would have set up the Rams somewhere in Patriots territory, looking to build on a 3-0 lead already. If they call that penalty on Vrabel as they should have, the Rams probably get at least 3, so instead of a 7-3 Pats lead, it could have been 6-0 Rams. That's a 10-point swing.

Bottom line: in no way did Belichick "expose" Warner in that game. Warner was pretty solid. The only real problem was that their doofus head coach decided that Marshall Faulk wasn't a good player to be used that day.

While Kurt Warner was at the top of his game for three years, he does not have the body of work over time to qualify for the HOF. A shooting star, he was fun to watch when he had those incredible receivers with the Rams. Unfortunately, it all came to a crashing end when his team encountered a defense that knocked them silly in Superbowl XXXVI.

For some reason, he was never the same after that game.

I wouldn't say he was never the same. He has dealt with a lot of injuries, playing only 36 games from 2002-2006. Then he put up the following seasons in 2007-2008:

2007: 62.3%, 3417 yds, 27 td, 17 int, 93.8 rating
2008: 67.1%, 4583 yds, 30 td, 14 int, 96.9 rating

Those are outstanding numbers. He's "back" to being what he was from 1999-2001.

If the Cards win today and Warner is the MVP of the game, he will deserve and receive serious consideration. The only retired, modern era QB with two or more SB wins who is not in Canton is Joe Theismann, probably because a lot of people don't like him and one of his rings came in a strike season.

Just to add a few facts to the discussion, here is how Warner's career stats stand up against the average stats of the 17 SB era QB's who are in the HOF today (anticipating the comment, I know that Averages that cross multiple eras of officiating and on-field rules changes are flawed, but they are at least a starting point):

Games: Warner 110 ; Average of 17 HOF era QB's 192.
Attempts: Warner 3,557; Average 4,936.7
Completions: Warner 2,327; Average 2,861.6
Passing Yards: Warner 28,591; Average 36,683.8
Yards per Attempt: Warner 8.04; Average 7.46
Completion Pctg: Warner: 65.4%; Average 57.7%
TD's: Warner 182; Average 245.9
INT's: Warner 114; Average 191.5
TD/INT Ratio: Warner 1.60; Average 1.32
Pass Rating: Warner 93.8; Average 81.8
Fumbles: Warner 91; Average 79.9
Fumbles/Game: Warner 0.83; Average 0.42
Rings: Warner 1.0; Average 1.4

Bottom line for me: without a second ring, he won't get in. With a second ring, there will be a lot of noise to let him in.

I would agree that should Warner put this team on his back, handle a great defense and win game MVP and the Super Bowl, he has added some force to the argument.

Otherwise, consider the fact that Hall of Fame players do not ride the pine when healthy, unless in the twilight of their careers. Bulger, Manning, and Leinart - all QBs starting over him when he was physically able to play and not retirement age (and I would not call any of them Hall of Fame QBs). Find another Hall of Fame QB that has that on his resume.

In the end, great numbers when throwing to outstanding receiving corps (Rams and Cards). How many of Marino's, Namath's or Elway's receivers are in the Hall of Fame? How many of Warner's receivers during his career years will make it there?

Last edited:
1999-2001, 2008

1 Super Bowl Championship *Pending*
1 Super Bowl MVP *Pending*
2 NFL League MVPs
3 NFC Championships
4 Pro-Bowl Selections

He's completely revived two franchises

1999: Ends nine year playoff drought for Rams, leads to first Super Bowl
2008: Ends nine year playoff drought for Cardinals, leads to first...

Multiple win playoff run
Conference Championship game
Super Bowl

....in Cardinals Super-Bowl era franchise history.

Also the hall-of-fame isn't always about stats, but also stories and his is undeniable. Just by making the Super Bowl this year, he's put himself into serious consideration, win and he's a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News