PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shea McClellin signs with Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that the Seahawks were interested in McClellin. Via Mike Reiss:

The Seahawks’ interest in Shea McClellin, who signed a three-year, $8.95 million contract with the Patriots that has a maximum value of $12 million if he reaches all incentives, was as a strongside linebacker in their 4-3 scheme alongside K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner. That’s the spot where 2012 first-round pick Bruce Irvin (now with Oakland) played, and to give Patriots followers a feel for how McClellin’s skill set is viewed by another team, the Seahawks often have their strongside linebacker aligning near the line of scrimmage (almost like a fifth defensive lineman). That position is called upon to set the edge in the running game, drop into coverage at times, and then potentially serve as a pass-rushing defensive end in nickel situations. The Patriots run more of a multiple scheme than the Seahawks, but look for the versatile McClellin to be utilized somewhat similarly in New England, with the 2014 version of Akeem Ayers a good comparison.

Ex-Patriots assistant Brad Seely: New touchback rule could increase returns

Laurinatis got a 3 year/ 8.5 Million contract.

Laurinatis' skill were degrading, but he is better than McClellin now.

Yeah, Shea has "upside", however it was very possible to get a cheaper contract. Shea McClellin should have never received this contract offer this year.

You were in on the negotiations?

I wanted to DRAFT Laurinatis. However, McClellan was a better choice now. Think Ayers.

I really see McClellan as a limited ilb with the pats. I am not sure he is big enough to stay healthy for 16 games.

I wanted to DRAFT Laurinatis. However, McClellan was a better choice now. Think Ayers.
I also wanted to draft Laurinaitis...but at the money he will receive, McClellin was not the better choice.
He's a vet-minimum JAG at this stage of his career, and the money that Bill wasted on him would've been better-spent on Nick Fairley or a very much desperately-needed OLman.

I also wanted to draft Laurinaitis...but at the money he will receive, McClellin was not the better choice.
He's a vet-minimum JAG at this stage of his career, and the money that Bill wasted on him would've been better-spent on Nick Fairley or a very much desperately-needed OLman.
And since you were privy to the negotiations, how much was Fairly willing to charge the patriots for his services?

Was he really willing to sign for a guarantee of $3.5M?

Troll

Belichick gets the most out of the retreads by narrowing their roles to their strengths and then giving them more as they show they can handle it. I'm sure they did their homework on McClellin and have a good idea of how he will fit in their defense, but how well he plays in it and how much of a role he carves out for himself remains to be seen.

And since you were privy to the negotiations, how much was Fairly willing to charge the patriots for his services?

Was he really willing to sign for a guarantee of $3.5M?

If he were i think he would be here, and like Hicks I think he wants a starting role and not to be a rotational piece.

Based on what?

Based on Laurinaitis' complete lack of versatility. He's an inside backer who makes no plays behind the line of scrimmage or as a pass rusher. He's a good tackler who is solid in coverage. He'd get very few snaps here. McClellin at least offers the ability to move around a little bit, and he may have more value on special teams.

I think your estimate of the O-line is wrong.

It played without its starting OLT, and played three rookie interior linemen and a first time playing UDFA. Its starting C missed a good portion of the season too. Getting Solder back and acquiring Cooper is a tremendous upgrade over the tail end of 2015,as ids the return to health. Just as is the second year for the interior linemen.

We haven't even mentioned the return of Scar.

Just saw The Lion King on Broadway over the weekend. Nice show, as far as musicals go I suppose,
but I'm more of a Rock Opera guy.

Laurinatis got a 3 year/ 8.5 Million contract.

Laurinatis' skill were degrading, but he is better than McClellin now.

Yeah, Shea has "upside", however it was very possible to get a cheaper contract. Shea McClellin should have never received this contract offer this year.

It's not always about the cheaper contract, particularly the cheaper contract in year one of a multi-year deal. If McClellin can be coached to fit the system, do you think he or Laurinatis is likely to be the better player in years 2 and 3 of the deals?

i have high hopes for mcllellin with the right coaching. he was just a bad fit in chicago.

I think the contract reflects the Patriots' agreement with your position.

McClellin is a 3-4 OLB, and is not a fit for any defense that generally employs a 4-3 look…
...such as, uh, ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back