PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Last night, was Jamie Collins even on the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The injuries in 2015 made me crazy, closest shot at an undefeated season since 2007, once Edelman and Lewis went down I know it was over.
Injuries are the only reason this team has not won 4 Super Bowls this decade.

2011- Gronk
2012- Talib, Gronk
2013- Gronk, VW
2015- DLew, O-line, etc
2017- Malcolm

If by some chance he gets cut this year or next would you guys want a 2nd shot on em on a one year?

Kyle Van Noy is our cover LB. At the very least Collins is a huge upgrade in that role.

And certain poster’s shrieked, cried, and beat their little fisties and feeties against the floors of their mommies basement, screaming that Traitor Bill had cost them any chance at the Super Bowl*

* which they went on to win, went to 3-4, and won two. Goddamn you Bill, how come you won’t listen to the chicken little’s?

BB threw the superbowl. I guess he was testing fan loyalty. But thanks for spread the butler conversation to multiple threads

Injuries are the only reason this team has not won 4 Super Bowls this decade.

2011- Gronk
2012- Talib, Gronk
2013- Gronk, VW
2015- DLew, O-line, etc
2017- Malcolm

No comment on Butler/'17....but at the same the margin of victory in all 8 Superbowls: 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 6, & 8....so it has been close whether we won or lost..we could have had 1 superbowl win between 2001-2011 and 4 in the last 4 years just as easily...

Collins' statistical performance drop off also coincided with Gregg Williams switching the Browns' defense last year from a 3-4 to his "attacking" version of a 4-3.
Yeah I've always considered Collins more of an Early Dynasty-type 3-4 OLB (Willie Mac, Vrabel, Colvin et al) who is more comfortable rushing upfield from the edge than a Later (Should've-Been) Dynasty OLB who is proficient covering RBs & TEs across the middle. I don't think that he's a very instinctual player, especially in coverage, despite his experience at Safety early in his college career.

I think we're good to go this year, seems like every other year we're good in the health department as of late

2014 Healthy
2015 Injury bug
2016 Healthy (Minus Gronk)
2017 Injury Bug
2018 TBA
The 2013 season was one of the more brutal I remember for injuries as well.
- Wilfork on IR
- Tommy Kelly on IR (so both starting DTs gone)
- Mayo on IR
- Gronk being healthy for only about 4 games all year
- of course Hernandez murdering someone right before training camp
- Vollmer on IR
- Shane Vereen going on short term IR missing half the year
- Amendola never going on IR but fighting through injury from week one
- Dobson going on IR right after his first big game
- Talib getting knocked out of AFCCG again

About the only guy who didn’t get hurt was Edelman. And Brady.

Kyle Van Noy is our cover LB. At the very least Collins is a huge upgrade in that role.
According to Howe’s stats, Van Noy allowed an average of 1.2 catches for 12.3 yards in coverage per game last season, with zero touchdowns allowed.

No comment on Butler/'17....but at the same the margin of victory in all 8 Superbowls: 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 6, & 8....so it has been close whether we won or lost..we could have had 1 superbowl win between 2001-2011 and 4 in the last 4 years just as easily...
I'm one of those that believes Malcolm was bogged down by the flu and was just too far behind in his conditioning and preparation enough to be ready to play. BB knew that and sat him.

No booze. No women. No gambling. No fights with coaches. Just too far behind....

According to Howe’s stats, Van Noy allowed an average of 1.2 catches for 12.3 yards in coverage per game last season, with zero touchdowns allowed.
That sounds reasonable to me.

I'm one of those that believes Malcolm was bogged down by the flu and was just too far behind in his conditioning and preparation enough to be ready to play. BB knew that and sat him.

No booze. No women. No gambling. No fights with coaches. Just too far behind....

Put me down for, "I don't care, we're onto week 3" :).

Not the same reason. Chung always worked hard when healthy.
For Round 1: I recall Chung used to take poor angles and, as a result, miss tackles. He was always decent in coverage.

For Round 2: Chung was always consistent and reliable.

Collins wanted to "rush the passer" and felt his stats would be better elsewhere (he was ultimately wrong, though the browns wouldn't have been the ideal place to grow).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes