PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Cassel throws for 469 yards, 4 TDs in loss to Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the game was garbage time. He didn't have any TDs before 35-0.

I told everyone how ridiculous was to be calling the Chiefs the "new 2001 Patriots". They're not even the 2002 Patriots.

Last edited:
KC is done, they were winning early in the year but now that we are getting into the heart of the season they will not go far.

I told everyone how ridiculous was to be calling the Chiefs the "new 2001 Patriots". They're not even the 2002 Patriots.

Although it wasn´t really his fault being 28-0 down with the 2nd quarter just starting. The KC offense never got going at the start and I can´t figure out what their gameplan was and what they were trying to establish. However, their D gave up a TD on every drive up until that point and we all saw in that playoff loss against the Ravens how difficult it is even for a top offense to get going under these circumstances.

So I give Cassel credit for not going down without a fight and not turning the ball over despite going pretty much for broke the remainder of the game.

That being said, he looked shaky at the start and that fumble to make it 35-0 was coming. I have not been watching all their games this season, but his tendency to take sacks seems to be high, still. I´m all for taking the sack instead of gunslinging your way to another pick-6, but he even hesitated throwing the ball away when he could yesterday.

Last edited:
Bowe got me 30 fantasy points :) He has been a beast these last few weeks :)

One of the best garbage time fantasy football performances of the season.

Cassel played well but the sacks absolutely killed the team. While falling behind 35-0, here's his line:

7/11, 106 yards, 0 TDs, 4 sacks, 1 fumble.

On one sack, he lost 7 yards on 3rd down, turning a 45-yard field goal attempt into a 52-yard attempt, which missed. On another he lost the ball which led to a TD to pretty much clinch things.

I'm sure the fantasy kids are stoked, but I can't imagine the Chiefs fans are.

...Or the 2008 Pats.

Cassel is having a top 10 year though.

He's at 16 TD's and 2 int's, a QB rating of 95, and through 9 games he's only been sacked 15 times.

Bowe got me 30 fantasy points :) He has been a beast these last few weeks :)

But he absolutely killed them early on in the season with some drops at crucial times...

KC is done, they were winning early in the year but now that we are getting into the heart of the season they will not go far.

Check their schedule out before you right them off. Oakland has already played the entire NFC West. KC still has games with Arizona, Seattle and St.Louis. Home games against Denver and Oakland. Not so fast my friend.

Another example why stats are misleading in the NFL. If you look at Roethlisberger's stat line today from last night, you would think he picked apart the Patriots. Roethlisberger threw for 387 yards and 3 TDs vs, the Pats. Do anyone think he had a good game last night?

One of the best garbage time fantasy football performances of the season.

Cassel played well but the sacks absolutely killed the team. While falling behind 35-0, here's his line:

7/11, 106 yards, 0 TDs, 4 sacks, 1 fumble.

On one sack, he lost 7 yards on 3rd down, turning a 45-yard field goal attempt into a 52-yard attempt, which missed. On another he lost the ball which led to a TD to pretty much clinch things.

I'm sure the fantasy kids are stoked, but I can't imagine the Chiefs fans are.

Len Dawson is one of the radio guys for Chiefs games. He kept saying that none of the receivers were getting open. The sack you're talking about was one of those times he pointed it out.

Len Dawson is one of the radio guys for Chiefs games. He kept saying that none of the receivers were getting open. The sack you're talking about was one of those times he pointed it out.

And I don´t think anybody doubts that Cassel has to deal with his receivers not getting open as much as he would like to. However, if I recall correctly that sack play was stupid.

He was scrambling to his right and certainly realized there was no one open but he refused to throw it away. I expect a smart QB to throw the ball away at that point, especially considering they were not in any position to lose yardage for the field goal attempt.

The whole KC team looked like deers caught in the headlight, and IMO you have to give Cassel and the Offense credit for getting out of that state, their D didn´t manage that at all.

At the very most you could say Cassel didn´t do what you´d expect an elite QB to do in the 1st and 2nd quarter. He let the poor play of his team affect himself instead of calming everything down. But Brady couldn´t do much against the Ravens earlier in the season either, so it´s difficult to really blame Cassel too much there.

Cassel, Bowe put up big numbers in blowout - KansasCity.com

Yeah, it was an ugly loss (the Chiefs were down 35-0 in the first half), but one thing you have to give Matt Cassel credit for: the man just will not give up without a fight.

Cassel is really putting up great #s out there right now. I wish the Chiefs had held onto a couple of those games, but you have to be happy for the guy. Last season was a little tough, but he's really proving he's a legit QB this year. Yesterday might've been in garbage time, but he's been playing well consistently for weeks now.

Last edited:
Cassel is having a top 10 year though.

He's at 16 TD's and 2 int's, a QB rating of 95, and through 9 games he's only been sacked 15 times.

That IS very impressive. I'll always root for Cassel except when he plays the Pats.

That IS very impressive. I'll always root for Cassel except when he plays the Pats.

The fun part is everytime when I look at the KC messageboards they seem to be fairly split about Cassel. Some think that he is good enough "to do a job", others basically think he is what stands between KC and a potential deep, deep playoff run. All however, wouldn´t mind him being replaced is my impression.

What I can see though, is that he earns a lot of money (well, mostly last season I think), and they want him to play up to that. But he doesn´t turn the ball over, so he certainly doesn´t lose games for them.

The fun part is everytime when I look at the KC messageboards they seem to be fairly split about Cassel. Some think that he is good enough "to do a job", others basically think he is what stands between KC and a potential deep, deep playoff run. All however, wouldn´t mind him being replaced is my impression.

What I can see though, is that he earns a lot of money (well, mostly last season I think), and they want him to play up to that. But he doesn´t turn the ball over, so he certainly doesn´t lose games for them.

That's what makes their griping seem so stupid. The Chiefs have problems, like every other team, but none of them can be solved by ditching Cassel.

Last edited:
Another example why stats are misleading in the NFL. If you look at Roethlisberger's stat line today from last night, you would think he picked apart the Patriots. Roethlisberger threw for 387 yards and 3 TDs vs, the Pats. Do anyone think he had a good game last night?

What, interceptions don't count in a QBs stat line? :bricks:

That's what makes their griping seem so stupid. The Chiefs have problems, like every other team, but none of them can be solved by ditching Cassel.

Cassel could have a season where he never threw an interception, threw for 5,000 yards, led his team to a 16-0 record and a Super Bowl victory, and figured out a cure for cancer while in the middle of a game, and there would still be a group of Chiefs fans that complained about him.

It's a hatred that's not reasonable or rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes