PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SECOND FA WAVE POSSIBILITIES: 10 WHO MIGHT WORK WITHIN OUR $

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several choices in addition to acting on Thuney before July. And yes, we can gnash our teeth when the league takes away a pick after we franchise and trade within a couple of weeks. IMO, Thuney could be extended at any point, but trading him wouldn't happen until at least June. There are lots of other options between now and then.
YES....EXTENDING THUNEY WOULD GO A LONG WAY TO SOLIDIFYING OUR LINE FOR SOME TIME. THE WEAK LING IS CANNON.

Now in the second tier of FA. It seems like the best left is Jordan Reed.
My understanding is that the Rams are looking at him to make Everett available. Thoughts on him? He is a FA in 2021.
DW Toys

Another season with mediocre run defense and underwhelming pass rush.

Oh well.

YES....EXTENDING THUNEY WOULD GO A LONG WAY TO SOLIDIFYING OUR LINE FOR SOME TIME. THE WEAK LING IS CANNON.

My understanding is that the Rams are looking at him to make Everett available. Thoughts on him? He is a FA in 2021.
DW Toys
sorry to disappoint, but I don't follow potential trade possibilities

Oh well.

Yup, oh well

Most of us would settle for the defense that carried the 2019 team to a 12-4 record.

how do you know what he can or can't do? he hasn't started a regular season game yet. it's his second year. let the kid play a couple of games at least before you pass judgment.:rolleyes:
So, your idea is to start Studham and see where he is in a couple of games. And if he isn't up to the task, "tank for trevor"?

I get it, but Belichick will have a Plan B. Hoyer is Plan C, a valuable backup, and perhaps even a valuable scout team QB.

Yup, oh well

Most of us would settle for the defense that carried the 2019 team to a 12-4 record.
KVN and Collins are gone I’m afraid.

And yeah, the back seven carried that defense to its success. The front was always soft as butter the moment they faced a decent rushing attack.

So, your idea is to start Studham and see where he is in a couple of games. And if he isn't up to the task, "tank for trevor"?

I get it, but Belichick will have a Plan B. Hoyer is Plan C, a valuable backup, and perhaps even a valuable scout team QB.
how do you know what he can or can't do? he hasn't started a regular season game yet. it's his second year. let the kid play a couple of games at least before you pass judgment.

Yup, oh well

We had the weakest schedule in the NFL. The defense beat all the bad teams sure, but they sure didn't deliver in the last part of the schedule or against any of the AFC division leaders. You can blame the offense for that, but the defense were blown up (bal, kc, hou), and others they couldn't stop teams on the last defining drives (miami, ten).

I'll expand to make a point since the above isn't really that. The same defense this year minus Brady is going to be a gong show against this schedule. I guess that's my point. Gilmore can be DPOY again, whatever you want. It won't matter you aren't winning with defense. Sorry, not trying to **** on you. Last year was very strange in the sense on that on paper the defense was good, but they had no timely plays. Some years the D hasn't been great but they would make some plays when it mattered. It was the whole team though.

Last edited:
Come on something has got to give we've been quiet to long.

Samuel is out there.
Or can we please trade for at least a number 2.

KVN and Collins are gone I’m afraid.

And yeah, the back seven carried that defense to its success. The front was always soft as butter the moment they faced a decent rushing attack.

fair enough

some comments

1) Collins was not very good at all. We wouldn't have re-signed him for $5M. As far as reps, I would expect Winovich to take lots of them. I'm all for securing an additional EDGE player, but I don't think that we need any additions to make up for Collins.

2) I agree that we needed another biggie in the middle last year. I wanted to keep Pennell in addition to who we kept. Apparently, Belichick expected SOME help from Cowart. In any case, I would add a midlevel player at DT, perhaps by a trade after the draft. Perhaps, we will get a good draftee at DT. I would note that this would be needed to improve last year's performance, not in order to match it.

3) The secondary is fine. We added some backups. Additional reps from Williams will likely make up for Harmon.

NOW THE REAL PROBLEM ON DEFENSE
We chose not to overpay KVN. We need a LB or 2. I am fine with using a top 1-3 round pick to draft a LB or two, or use such a pick in 2020 or 2021 to trade for a pick.

BOTTOM LINE
As of March 28th, we need help at LB. Is this really a reason to believe that our 2020 defense won't be up to the task? We have plenty of free agency left; we have the draft; and we have the ability to trade for a LB. I would think that, IF ALL ELSE FAILS, we will trade a top 2021 pick sometime in August for a LB, a LB with one or two years left on his contract.

Last edited:
sorry to disappoint, but I don't follow potential trade possibilities
If the Rams sign Jordan Reed they will make Gerald Everett available. That appears to be the plan. He was actually the Rams starter.
DW Toys

Oh well.

Our special teams unit is elite though! Wolfe wouldn't fit on the ST unit. Good move passing on him for sure.

Yup, oh well

Worst 12-4 record in the Entire History of the NFL.

p.s.: Bummer that Wolfe signed with the Murderer-Worshippers, but he wouldn't have been a great fit here anyway: dude's been a 5-tech, 3-4 DE his whole career, and that's the style of defense his new team plays...

Last edited:
fair enough

some comments

1) Collins was not very good at all. We wouldn't have re-signed him for $5M. As far as reps, I would expect Winovich to take lots of them. I'm all for securing an additional EDGE player, but I don't think that we need any additions to make up for Collins.

2) I agree that we needed another biggie in the middle last year. I wanted to keep Pennell in addition to who we kept. Apparently, Belichick expected SOME help from Cowart. In any case, I would add a midlevel player at DT, perhaps by a trade after the draft. Perhaps, we will get a good draftee at DT. I would note that this would be needed to improve last year's performance, not in order to match it.

3) The secondary is fine. We added some backups. Additional reps from Williams will likely make up for Harmon.

NOW THE REAL PROBLEM ON DEFENSE
We chose not to overpay KVN. We need a LB or 2. I am fine with using a top 1-3 round pick to draft a LB or two, or use such a pick in 2020 or 2021 to trade for a pick.

BOTTOM LINE
As of March 28th, we need help at LB. Is this really a reason to believe that our 2020 defense won't be up to the task? We have plenty of free agency left; we have the draft; and we have the ability to trade for a LB. I would think that, IF ALL ELSE FAILS, we will trade a top 2021 pick sometime in August for a LB, a LB with one or two years left on his contract.

It all comes down to what front we play next season.

our personnel on the defensive line is more 3-4 than 4-3. Yet we do not have enough linebackers to play 3-4,

davis from Alabama is a perfect 3-4 defensive end and is an excellent run stopper.

fotu from Utah needs a red shirt year, but could be a perfect 3-4 nose tackle,

as for 3-4 linebackers, there are at least a half dozen guys in this draft that can work, but only a couple that can also be 4-3 defensive ends,

not sure how bb plays this, but this draft has options for us.

DW Toys
Reed is a walking concussion, waste of resources. Everett, isn't he just another big receiver. We already have one. I want a blocker.

Would have loved it if the Pats had made this move.

Let’s just accept BB will build this team with draft picks and UDFAs this season.
Time to brush up on my division 3 ball.

Oh well.

Aw, man. You're acting like we didn't even sign Beau Allen.

bungie.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing