PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SECOND FA WAVE POSSIBILITIES: 10 WHO MIGHT WORK WITHIN OUR $

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cousins, We are all at our keyboards or on your devices so I guess I will stir up some content. I think there are at least 10 FAs out there that could work under our CAP, fill some holes and make us a Fans hopeful this isn't a full blown rebuild. This can include trades. Please join in for ads, changes, thoughts or threats:

#10>Nick Folk K. Saves CAP over Gostkowski. How many of you cringe when Gostkoski lines up for just an extra point these days. His issues in the Eagles SB game hurt us.
#9>Kamalei Correra OLB. We need more than one LB. He is still young, Can get to the passer and can cover. PD=2, SACKS=5, QB HITS=5, TFL=6 and he only started 5 games. Was very solid for the Titans down the stretch. He could be KVN II.
#8>Rishard Higgins WR. This kid is still young. Before OBJ he was a stout contributor on the Browns. Now he is stuck behind Landry and OBJ. Goor in the Red Zone. I would say he would be our best outside WR now if signed.
#7>Ndamukong Suh DE. He might have a few years left at 33 but his price tags for say a 3 year deal whereas he has bounced around a couple of one year deals, might appeal to him and be reasonable. 14 QB hits 2.5 sacks. He could thrive here on our D. Roast me if you want but he still is a great run stuffer and can collapse a pocket. He is very durable.
#6>Tyler Eifert TE. Played for peanuts last season.43 Catches and 3 TD's with a less than stellar QB room. The key was he played all 16 games. He can block. Why hasn't BB got him already. We need at least two TEs. Experience and a rookie?
5>David Njoku TE. Trade, please! This kid is still young Went from 56 receptions to 5 last year Was injured some but spent time in Kitchens dog house. Might be better than any TE in this Draft class. Maybe a 4th does the deal? Still cheap.
4>Nick Vigil OLB. 111 tackles last year on a crap Team. 5 PD and an INT, He can cover. Said he missed some tackles. The Team missed some tackles. Might be a little pricey but only 26
3> Derek Wolfe DE. Can play DE or DT. A rising sack number. Only 30. Bill....sign this guy already! Could be a big star in this D.
2>Everson Griffen DE. 32 but 24 QB hits and 8 sacks. Would be a difference maker and Team leader.
1>Jameis Winston QB. Blasphemy you say!!!!! Isn't this the science project BB and Josh would love to do....then stick it to the Bucs? The kid is still young and had 33 TDs with over 5,000 yards. Stop the bone head plays and the Bucs were in the playoffs. He had over 319 Yards per game (NFL tops) despite his mental lases. Could Josh and BB stop that? Should be cheap to re-establish himself. Worse case Stidham back up.

Bonus round? Derek Carr QB. Trade.... This kid played at a top-level last year but was not Gruden's "guy". He's only 28. He's NFL ready now. Over 4,000 yards last year. Many 4th quarter wins in his career.
Thoughts? Ideas?

DW Toys

Suh and Winston: no thanks. Both are anathema to BB style. Penalty and turnover machines.

Like your thoughts about TEs & Wolfe Griffin.

Folk is ok alternative if ghost not healthy. If he recovered, I prefer ghost

Our own:
Shilique Calhoun
James Ferentz
Marshall Newhouse

Other team's:
Nigel Bradham (LB)
Daryl Williams (OT)
Derek Wolfe (DE)

From your list, I like Derek Wolfe, think he would be a good fit.

I wonder if we're looking at BB building a 2001 type team. Lot's of role players with experience and discipline, a few established vets for leadership. No flash, just a strong application of the fundamentals.

I wonder if we're looking at BB building a 2001 type team. Lot's of role players with experience and discipline, a few established vets for leadership. No flash, just a strong application of the fundamentals.

With what QB? Stidham can’t carry the jock strap of 01 versions of brady or Bledsoe

Our own:
Shilique Calhoun
James Ferentz
Marshall Newhouse

Other team's:
Nigel Bradham (LB)
Daryl Williams (OT)
Derek Wolfe (DE)
It's only a matter of time before Ferentz re-signs.

Cousins, We are all at our keyboards or on your devices so I guess I will stir up some content. I think there are at least 10 FAs out there that could work under our CAP, fill some holes and make us a Fans hopeful this isn't a full blown rebuild. This can include trades. Please join in for ads, changes, thoughts or threats:

#10>Nick Folk K. Saves CAP over Gostkowski. How many of you cringe when Gostkoski lines up for just an extra point these days. His issues in the Eagles SB game hurt us.
#9>Kamalei Correra OLB. We need more than one LB. He is still young, Can get to the passer and can cover. PD=2, SACKS=5, QB HITS=5, TFL=6 and he only started 5 games. Was very solid for the Titans down the stretch. He could be KVN II.
#8>Rishard Higgins WR. This kid is still young. Before OBJ he was a stout contributor on the Browns. Now he is stuck behind Landry and OBJ. Goor in the Red Zone. I would say he would be our best outside WR now if signed.
#7>Ndamukong Suh DE. He might have a few years left at 33 but his price tags for say a 3 year deal whereas he has bounced around a couple of one year deals, might appeal to him and be reasonable. 14 QB hits 2.5 sacks. He could thrive here on our D. Roast me if you want but he still is a great run stuffer and can collapse a pocket. He is very durable.
#6>Tyler Eifert TE. Played for peanuts last season.43 Catches and 3 TD's with a less than stellar QB room. The key was he played all 16 games. He can block. Why hasn't BB got him already. We need at least two TEs. Experience and a rookie?
5>David Njoku TE. Trade, please! This kid is still young Went from 56 receptions to 5 last year Was injured some but spent time in Kitchens dog house. Might be better than any TE in this Draft class. Maybe a 4th does the deal? Still cheap.
4>Nick Vigil OLB. 111 tackles last year on a crap Team. 5 PD and an INT, He can cover. Said he missed some tackles. The Team missed some tackles. Might be a little pricey but only 26
3> Derek Wolfe DE. Can play DE or DT. A rising sack number. Only 30. Bill....sign this guy already! Could be a big star in this D.
2>Everson Griffen DE. 32 but 24 QB hits and 8 sacks. Would be a difference maker and Team leader.
1>Jameis Winston QB. Blasphemy you say!!!!! Isn't this the science project BB and Josh would love to do....then stick it to the Bucs? The kid is still young and had 33 TDs with over 5,000 yards. Stop the bone head plays and the Bucs were in the playoffs. He had over 319 Yards per game (NFL tops) despite his mental lases. Could Josh and BB stop that? Should be cheap to re-establish himself. Worse case Stidham back up.

Bonus round? Derek Carr QB. Trade.... This kid played at a top-level last year but was not Gruden's "guy". He's only 28. He's NFL ready now. Over 4,000 yards last year. Many 4th quarter wins in his career.
Thoughts? Ideas?

DW Toys
I'd like to see them sign some of the players on this list but fear they only have enough cash
to sign second and third stringers.

Last edited:
Jameson Winston threw INTs in spades playing in NFCS domes and sunny Tampa weather. So, now he comes North to play outdoors in the cold snowy climate of New Jersey, Buffalo and Foxboro? This move has fumbling, bumbling, stumbling and more INTs written all over it. Furthermore, Jameson down grades at the WR position bigly.

Njoku would be a good one to kick the tires on. He was vastly under utilized in Cleveland.

Higgins is your typical low budget role player NE WR who chip in for 400 yards and 3 TDs.

I'd like to see them sign some of the players on this list but fear they only have enough cash
to sign second and third stringers.
Ok

We have lots of openings for 2nd and 3rd stringers. They need to be acquired.

Lots of folks are looking for Belichick to spend big money on starters in the first two weeks of free agency. These fans are usually disappointed.

Still don’t have a QB, TE, WRs, or a capable RB

Not sure it would help tbh but A22 is available to the public. I say this bc of the amount of Winston comments. Have people actually watched him play (of course not lol) or do they just want to do something for the sake of it (yes)?
Winston is pretty bad in the short/intermediate parts of the field. Anything shallow/underneath and Lbs and S are all over him. Dude just doesn't have the eyes and no it has nothing to do with getting eye surgery lol.

He threw 30! INTS and fumbled like 15 times. Does that sound like a guy Bill wants?

He was in a system that played to his strengths. He had tons of weapons and a staff that believed in him. If you can't get it done under those conditions I hardly think he's capable of leading a rebuild.

Thoughts? Ideas?

DW Toys

Excellent analysis. I don't agree on Winston but agree Derek Carr would be an awesome add. I like all your other names. Nice work.

I know the answer most will give is to point to salary demands, but Clowney in the Willie role would be a lot of fun.

Apparently he isn’t getting many offers outside of a one year deal with Seattle, and we could absolutely fit the salary in if need be.

might be more frugal ways to spend the dollars, but he would definitely be a difference maker who does the things well BB loves.

We’d have to cut Thuney or Gilmore to fit Clowney in. It’s not gonna happen. We have slightly more than 2 mill in cap space now. FA is over for us, now must depend on the draft. The players are going to be available for Belichick to improve the offense. Now it’s just up to him to actually pick those players. Team needs explosiveness in the WR & TE positions. Need a speed receiver who is also a return man. And a TE that can open up the middle. Preferably a double dip at both positions. Unfortunately, that opportunity has been available to Belichick for 2 years, and outside of Harry, he really hasn’t taken advantage. I have zero faith he will take the right TE or WR. He’s been horrible at drafting the last few years.

He really needs the offensive version of the 2012 draft. We needed defensive playmakers and he took Jones & Hightower. Two years lasted, they won the Super Bowl. Need the offensive version of that draft. A good pass catching TE and a vertical WR.

A bunch of these seem to be medical related. Teams can’t bring guys in to have their doctors do their own physicals right now, and they’re not really the quality of players that get the big contract offer first and the minor details later.

Higgins missed 5 games with a knee injury and had a whopping 9 yards the rest of the season after he returned. Eifert actually played in 16 games, but it was in a very reduced role after his injury issues the previous 3 seasons. Njoku broke his wrist and only had 4 yards after returning. Vigil missed time with back, ankle, and knee injuries in 2017-2018. Wolfe ended the past two seasons on injured reserve with neck and elbow injuries. Griffen has a scary mental health history that they’d probably want a medical professional to evaluate. That’s more than half the list right there.

Our own:
Shilique Calhoun
James Ferentz
Marshall Newhouse

Other team's:
Nigel Bradham (LB)
Daryl Williams (OT)
Derek Wolfe (DE)

Why would we re-sign Ferentz, who is both the worst OL I've watched since Jordan Devey and over 30 years old?

I'm sure we will re-sign him for the same reason he's been on the team this whole time so far...the ol' boys club/nepotism.

Why would we re-sign Ferentz, who is both the worst OL I've watched since Jordan Devey and over 30 years old?

I'm sure we will re-sign him for the same reason he's been on the team this whole time so far...the ol' boys club/nepotism.
It’s a 90 man roster. There are going to be hundreds of worse players under contract around the NFL in a couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes