PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau Expected to Re-Sign With Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Develop into what??? Scrubs like Alexander who got torched in the Championship game?
Every player is different. Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Thomas, none of them were high draft picks. Just because a few cheapies Belichick has drafted here haven't developed doesn't mean no future ones will.

Last edited:
Yes, until he gets on the field and gets hurt again(as he has done for the last 3 years)....Then what does it do?

You really should learn this phrase. Past performance doesn't not guarantee future performance. And it applies to Seau. Maybe you should go and review the OTHER injuries Seau had previously. They were all muscular. Groin and Hamstring injuries. What did he do last year? A freak injury that broke his arm. Heck, that is a 6-8 week injury, usually and the Pats may have over-reacted by putting him on the IR.

Develop into what??? Scrubs like Alexander who got torched in the Championship game?

No, develop into potential starters or even Pro-Bowlers, like Thomas. Its amazing how you turn a blind eye to all the success the Pats have had under Belichick with UDFA and late round picks.

No I didnt.:rolleyes:

I didnt see the defense getting torched by Indy's offense because noone could cover a TE to save their lives.

And why didn't they have anyone to cover the TE? Where was Chad Scott? He should have been able to. OH WAIT, he couldn't because he was sick with the flu. And they were without Wilson who was out injured. Oh, and lets just forget it was Dallas Clark, one of the best receiving TEs in the league.

BTW, who did they add as a coverage LB? Adalius Thomas. Imagine that.

I think I got that when I was playing midget ball and continued it all the way through High School. I think I understand the aspect of how a running game can certainly have an effect on the defense but you know what

WE ADDRESSED THE OFFENSE WITH & WR'S AND SOME RB"s

Yes, I know we addressed the offense. I'm not some Johnny Come Lately who decided to whine and cry about things and throw a temper tantrum when I am shown to be wrong. What you haven't shown is that you understand how the runnin game can affect the defense. Otherwise, you'd have acknowledged that having run an additional 1:30 off the clock on the possession I mentioned would have changed the entire game and probably given the Pats the win.

We did nothing for the biggest hole on the team except sign a 37 year old and draft some projects.:rolleyes:

You're right. We didn't sign Adalius Thomas who ALSO PLAYS ILB as well as OLB.

Yes because you know it all...:rolleyes: What team do you work for. Arrogance on this board is amazing.

I don't know it all. And its not arrogance to point out the flaws in someone else's argument. Just because you refuse to acknowledge the flaws in your argument doesn't make me arrogant. It makes you arrogant.

Every player is different. Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Thomas, none of them were high draft picks. Just because a few cheapies Belichick has drafted here haven't developed doesn't mean no future ones will.

I agree but it wouldnt hurt to draft a LB with some talent.:rolleyes:

According to TheSeymonsta it does. I mean, we should all be dazzled by his brilliance in player evaluation and because he supposedly understands how the an effective running game affects the teams defense from when he played midget ball. :bricks:

And how do you know that Pierre Woods doesn't have talent? How do you know that Oscar Lua and Justin Rogers don't have talent?

Because Mel Kiper said so? He's a guy who, while he gets about 78% of the players drafted in the 1st round, is wrong on how 90% of them develop.

Sorry, but I will take BB's track record as a coach and developing players over you or Mel Kiper or any other draftnik out there.

You're right. We didn't sign Adalius Thomas who ALSO PLAYS ILB as well as OLB.

Adalius Thomas was signed to be an OLB. He may play some ILB but he was signed as an OLB.

Think what you want you are probably the typical Madden fan who wants a pass happy offense and could care less about the defense.

Lack of depth at the ILB spot hurt them last year and they have done basicaly nothing to address the problem this year.

Failure to draft replacements for Bruschi and Vrabel will definately hurt them in the future.

I hate to play the "go find another team" card but . . . it's clear that the drafting of LB here will be few and far between and if that bothers you, you should find a team like Baltimore or Cleveland that likes to draft LB high. I'm not going to say it'll never happen but it's absolutely clear at this point that Belichick would prefer to sign veteran LB than draft young ones high. I'm not saying he'll NEVER draft one, it sounds like we almost got Stuart Bradley. But there's no point in rolling your eyes or getting upset about it; it is what it is and we are only rarely going to draft LB high.

Regarding the talent comment, Woods definitely has the talent, we'll have to see if it plays out on the field. But based on when they were drafted, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin and Thomas also have no talent.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I will take BB's track record as a coach and developing players over you or Mel Kiper or any other draftnik out there.

Please list for me all these talented LB's he has developed......Last and only great LB developed by BB he didnt draft. His name was LT.

Oh thats right he just goes out and signs FA's because he refuses to actually draft a LB with talent.

I hate to play the "go find another team" card but . . .

You can play that stupid ***** if you like But unlike others I have been a Pats fan since 1976 and I am not changing anytime soon.

Regarding the talent comment, Woods definitely has the talent, we'll have to see if it plays out on the field. But based on when they were drafted, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin and Thomas also have no talent.

Bruschi was drafted in the 3rd round and led the nation in sacks. He had talent coming out.

If you see the talent in Pierre Woods why wasnt he on the field last year when TBC was getting destoyed and Alexander was getting torched?

Oh its the in BB we trust because we are not allowed to question anything he does right....He has never made a mistake???

Last edited:
Please list for me all these talented LB's he has developed......Last and only great LB developed by BB he didnt draft. His name was LT.
Vrabel would qualify, he's a damn good LB who was nothing when we signed him.

Oh thats right he just goes out and signs FA's because he refuses to actually draft a LB with talent.
That's irrelevant. There are several ways to acquire players - however Belichick chooses to do it, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas, Seau is a top group and only one (Bruschi) was here before Belichick.

I hate to play the "go find another team" card but . . . it's clear that the drafting of LB here will be few and far between and if that bothers you, you should find a team like Baltimore or Cleveland that likes to draft LB high. I'm not going to say it'll never happen but it's absolutely clear at this point that Belichick would prefer to sign veteran LB than draft young ones high. I'm not saying he'll NEVER draft one, it sounds like we almost got Stuart Bradley. But there's no point in rolling your eyes or getting upset about it; it is what it is and we are only rarely going to draft LB high.

I agree the Patriots don't draft LBs (current FO). Next year they will draft 3 day 1 LBs along with 3 TEs...

Colvin - 4th round
Vrabel - 3rd round
Bruschi - 3rd round
Woods - UDFA

Woods is over hyped because he is our UDFA, if he played for any other team we would say who? oh that JAG...

As long as he continues to perform on special teams he will be on the roster and is an ok 4th or 5th option at OLB.

You can play that stupid ***** if you like But unlike others I have been a Pats fan since 1976 and I am not changing anytime soon.
I don't care how long you've been a Patriots' fan, if having one of the most talented LB corps in the NFL causes you this much angst, you need to find a team you'll be happier rooting for. The Browns would be a great choice, they drafted 3 first day LB in 2006.

Oh its the in BB we trust because we are not allowed to question anything he does right....He has never made a mistake???
There's nothing to question. He has assembled one of the best LB crews in the league.

I agree the Patriots don't draft LBs (current FO). Next year they will draft 3 day 1 LBs along with 3 TEs...

Colvin - 4th round
Vrabel - 3rd round
Bruschi - 3rd round
Woods - UDFA
Don't forget about Thomas in the 6th round.

Not sure Woods is overhyped, Belichick cut Mincey and he'd cut Woods if he didn't think he had talent.

Don't forget about Thomas in the 6th round.

That didn't work for my arguement so I left it out... my point was that outside of Thomas the other LBs were fairly high picks...

With Seau on board the LBs are going to very good and deep. Although I would still like to have seen a steady supply of 3rd and 4th rounders added into the pipeline over the past 2-3 years.

That didn't work for my arguement so I left it out... my point was that outside of Thomas the other LBs were fairly high picks...
:)

Well the other thing they all have in common (except Woods who's nothing for now) is they were veterans when they made an impact for the Patriots and all except Bruschi came from another team.

If people want to vent their frustrations that's great I guess but it's pointless. It's as clear as the grass is green that Belichick values experience and NFL developed instincts over "talent" (as some call it) in his LB.

Again, all that matters is whether he's put the talent out on the field and no-one wants to dispute that Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin, Thomas, Seau is a top group.

Adalius Thomas was signed to be an OLB. He may play some ILB but he was signed as an OLB.

Think what you want you are probably the typical Madden fan who wants a pass happy offense and could care less about the defense.

Lack of depth at the ILB spot hurt them last year and they have done basicaly nothing to address the problem this year.

Failure to draft replacements for Bruschi and Vrabel will definately hurt them in the future.

Really? Thomas was signed to be an OLB? Bill Belichick tell you that himself in confidence? Because what I saw Bill say was that Thomas would be used at both positions.

Actually, I don't play Madden and I think the current guy is senile.

The Pats HAVE done things to address the problem at ILB. Just because they aren't what YOU want doesn't mean they haven't taken place.

As others have pointed out to me, the Patriots, under Belichick, have relied on signing veterans who the Pats believe can fit into their defense to fill the slots. And, except for 2 cases, its worked.

That being said, I have also wanted the Pats to draft a DAY 1 LB. They were going to this year if Stewart Bradley had fallen to them. Unfortunately, the Eagles took him. However, just because they haven't drafted a day 1 LB doesn't mean they won't nor does it mean that the players they have drafted won't pan out. And it doesn't mean that they haven't done anything to shore up the position.

BTW, just to show the difference between last year and this year. At this time last year, the Pats only had 3 legit starters (Colvin, Vrabel, and Bruschi), 1 guy (TBC) who they didn't know if he could step up and 1 guy who'd primarly been a special teamer (Alexander), Izzo, Davis and Beisel. The Pats signed Seau, Barry Gardner, Pierre Woods and Corey Mays. And the Pats drafted Jeremy Mincey. Gardner was playing very well and probably would have been the coverage LB, but he went down in pre-season with what has turned into a career ending injury. Woods made the team out of training camp as a special teamer and Woods was kept on the practice squad and eventually moved up when Don Davis went down. Mincey was cut because he decided that he didn't need to focus on learning the playbook because he'd have all year to learn the defense and he was cut because of it.

This year, The Pats have 5 legit players (Colvin, Thomas, Bruschi, Seau, Vrabel). They also have Woods, Alexander, Izzo, and Mays. They've drafted Lua and Rogers. They also went out and signed Justin Warren and Bissinger. Woods and Mays have a full year under their belt, though I believe that Mays isn't long for the team. Woods, though, has a lot more potential than TBC did and I believe that he's got a legit shot at being a solid all-around starter much the way Bobby Hamilton was on the D-line. Lua, Rogers, Warren and Bissinger are young players who the Pats obviously believe have a chance to help this team as they are still around.

From where I stand, the Pats have done MORE this year in terms of making sure the ILB position is more solid than they did last year.

What your BIGGEST complaint seems to be is that the Pats didn't draft someone with a flashy name or should I say that the draftniks claimed were a great pick in the early rounds. What you need to understand is that the Patriots do their own scouting and don't rely on the draft services at all. And, because of that, they don't rate the players similarly. And that leads to people making claims like the Patriots aren't adding talent. Sorry, but they are. They are adding what they feel is the best talent available to them. And, as I pointed out, they were planning on taking Stewart Bradley and I am of the belief that they tried to trade up and were rebuffed or couldn't work out a deal. Either way, Bradley was on their radar for the 3rd round.

Again, all that matters is whether he's put the talent out on the field and no-one wants to dispute that Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin, Thomas, Seau is a top group.

I am not disputing that.

I am disputing the fact that 3 of them are old and injury prone. And since Seau and Bruschi did not make it through the year last year and Vrabel had back problems because of playing inside having some young talent on the bench would have been a good idea instead of giving picks away and grabbing UDFA's.

Again the starters are not a question as far as talent but longevity is a major concern.

Maybe you should actually work on your reading comprehension because I said that he has developed football players.. And I have listed the numerous players that this team has developed since 2000.

OH, and how about Mike Vrabel? Before he joined the Pats, Vrabel was a seldom used DE for the Steelers. What happened? He became an amazing 3-4 OLB for the Pats.

Ohh boy as good as Larry Izzo.:rolleyes: Great have you seen Izzo play ILB???? Its not a pretty site.

Please name me one late round LB not named TBC that the Pats have drafted that has made an impact on this team.....

I will answer that for you.......None.

Yes teams get lucky once in a while and get a Tom Brady or a Adalius Thomas but they dont come around too often and counting on an undrafted FA or a 7th round scrub as a legitimate back up is not only dangerous its foolish. Especially considering our lack of decent depth at LB cost us a Superbowl last year.

I can only name three. Marty Moore, Mr Irrelevant, Matt Chatham and TBC and unsung UDFA cut by Miami, Larry Iizzo makes four... Not a bad haul from the depths. There is one more that I suspect has a chance and will eventually produce, although there is no firm proof as yet, and that is Pierre Woods, who beat out jeremy Mincey for a job and was very highly rated before sliding after joining Lloyd Carr's doghouse. The same one that Tom Brady was in and out of periodically...

:rolleyes:
He became an amazing 3-4 OLB for the Pats.

Amazing.....Someones needs to drink something other than the kool-aid. You are over rating Patriot players.

Mike Vrabel is an above average LB but he is certainly not amazing.

Amazing is Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher....Those are amazing LB's and Vrabel is not close to them.

BTW I am a huge Vrabel fan but amazing he is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes