PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seau Expected to Re-Sign With Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can play that stupid ***** if you like But unlike others I have been a Pats fan since 1976 and I am not changing anytime soon.

Bruschi was drafted in the 3rd round and led the nation in sacks. He had talent coming out.

If you see the talent in Pierre Woods why wasnt he on the field last year when TBC was getting destoyed and Alexander was getting torched?

Oh its the in BB we trust because we are not allowed to question anything he does right....He has never made a mistake???

No one said you couldn't question what he does. But don't continue to sit there and act like you have your eyes covered and aren't reading what is being told to you.

Belichick HAS addressed the immediate future as he best sees fit regarding the ILB position. The LB position is 5 deep with legit players, 2 of which can play either ILB or OLB.

Woods was a friggin rookie last year. Its ignorant to think that because a player doesn't step up immediately that he doesn't have talent. Tedy Bruschi wasn't a starter immediately. Neither was Vrabel. Nor Tom Brady. Nor Matt Light. Nor Dan Koppen. Nor Stephen Neal. Nor Troy Brown.

Oh, btw, though Alexander was getting beat early in the game, it wasn't until the 2nd half that things really started to fall apart and that is when we starting having to sub in for Seymour and Warren and Hawkins because of injuries and dehydration.

I am disputing the fact that 3 of them are old and injury prone. And since Seau and Bruschi did not make it through the year last year and Vrabel had back problems because of playing inside having some young talent on the bench would have been a good idea instead of giving picks away and grabbing UDFA's.
I don't think Vrabel, Colvin or Thomas are significant injury or decline risks this year, or for a few years thereafter.

The formula is quote simple as I see it. Draft low round LB, or sign UDFA, and hope they develop - while drafting one higher in the rare instance that value meets fit meets availability. Entering the offseason, sign veterans as is necessary to fill whatever gaps result.

If you see the talent in Pierre Woods why wasnt he on the field last year when TBC was getting destoyed and Alexander was getting torched?

Hey Sey, it may be that you are getting a little heated here, but I think you are going a little overboard in this statement.

TBC was not great against the rush in his first season as a starter, but he didnt suck. The overall success of the defense would belie that. Perhaps he will improve on that as he career goes on. But that is just a matter of opinion. What really caused me to post this was your comment on Alexander.

It seems to me you put the entire blame for the 2nd half collapse on him. Did he suck in the first half, when they held the COlts to 6 points? IIRC he only got badly beat on one particular play. What about all the rest of passes Manning completed that day. Weren't Samuel, Hobbs, etc torched as well?.

No legitimate DC puts an ILB on a slot receiver or TE expecting him to win the battle one on one. EVERYTIME there is a match up of an ILB on a receiver, there is EXPECTED to be help from a safety at some point in the route. To cast blame soley on Alexander is disengenuous, especially since this was his first start under the pressure of an AFC Championship game.

What a lot of people fail to remember is that the Pats played the 2nd half with Sanders and some guy named Rasheed Baker as their 2 safeties in that second half. A defense that depends upon tight coordination and communication, didn't have any. A defense that depends a lot of safety help to enable them to disguise their defense effective, had to be virtually vanilla in the secondary because of injuries.

You MIGHT be able to blame Alexander for a particular play or two, but you are throwing him under the bus. Its not fair. It could be that this might be ALexander's time. BB might feel that his transition from DL to LB is at hand and he will be very comfortable having him in the ILB rotation. Maybe after they couldn't get Bradley in the 3rd, they didn't feel that there was anyone better than Alexander and Woods. THOSE are the future of ILB for the Pats

Last edited:
Hey Sey, it may be that you are getting a little heated here, but I think you are going a little overboard in this statement.

Not getting heated at all I think its ridiculous that people cant recognize that the LBing core is old and needs some talented youth on the bench so we do not have a repeat of what happened last year.

People seem to have the opinion that Bruschi and Vrabel can play forever. Well Bruschi proved he couldnt last year and fell apart in the championship game.

You MIGHT be able to blame Alexander for a particular play or two, but you are throwing him under the bus. Its not fair.

I have watched that game 4 times now and besides Seymour going to the sidelines too much Alexander was the worst player on that defense in the second half.

THOSE are the future of ILB for the Pats

If thats true its going to be a long few years.:(

Not getting heated at all I think its ridiculous that people cant recognize that the LBing core is old and needs some talented youth on the bench so we do not have a repeat of what happened last year.

The problem here is YOU. Not everyone else. We all have recognized the age of the LB corps. Unlike you, we recognize that there may be some talent on the bench. And Unlike you, we recognize that it would take 2 catastrophic injuries to put the Pats into the same position they were in last year.

People seem to have the opinion that Bruschi and Vrabel can play forever. Well Bruschi proved he couldnt last year and fell apart in the championship game.

This is just absurdity. Bruschi was playing out of position at the SILB position. That is NOT his normal position. Bruschi was also still playing with a cast on his hand and a 1st time starter next to him. And maybe, instead of making ridiculous, unsupported comments, you should show up for the talks of the draft and see where just about EVERYONE acknowledged that they wanted the Pats to draft some linebackers. And maybe you'd also have a clue that the Pats intended to draft Stewart Bradley, but either felt he would drop or couldn't swing a deal to move up for him. In either case, they were planning on adding 1st day talent to the LB corps.

I have watched that game 4 times now and besides Seymour going to the sidelines too much Alexander was the worst player on that defense in the second half.

If thats true its going to be a long few years.:(

I don't care how many times you've claimed to watch the game, it doesn't change the fact that you are taking a myopic view of the situation. PFK, PATS1 and BOR are much better at talent evaluation and game breakdown than anything you've shown. And while I believe that Alexander won't amount to much as a coverage LB, I also believe that I was too harsh on him after the game. Particularly when taking into consideration that the Pats had Seymour, Warren and Hawkins out at different points of the 2nd half. Also, when I take into consideration the guy who should of been covering the TE, Chad Scott, was no where to be seen.

Unlike you, the rest of us realize the situation and realize that the Pats have added talent. Talent that they believe is more likely to help them.

I place myself in the same camp as Seymonster.

Replacing Ted Johnson and Roman Phifer with a string of Chad Brown, Monty Beisel, Eric Alexander, and Corey Mays is a huge downgrade.

Ken's point - that if Eric Alexander was getting torched, well then so was Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs - that's not the way I recall the Colts' game. Manning wasn't throwing to the edges, but to the middle.

Ken's point - that rookie ILB's can't be expected to contribute immediately - simply reinforces the need to address this position NOW, not next year, or the following year. We want top athletes learning the position now.

However, Ken's other point - blame the safeties, not just the ILB's - seems to be the way Bill Belichick read the game. For every time we've watched the network coverage, Belichick and the coaching staff have watched the coaches' Zagruder film ten times, in dark rooms, watching the assassination of their playoff hopes in slow motion. Back, and to the left.

I see the first day of the draft as a pretty clear day in Dallas. The Patriots are sitting on two first round picks, and can address both safety and ILB - with a guy most of us and most draft analysts (and Eric Mangini) felt was perfect for the Patriots defense in David Harris. Instead, they took a coverage safety and traded the other first for a below-market deal.

The Patriots held private workouts with ILB David Harris, ILB Jon Beason, ILB Brandon Siler, OLB LaMarr Woodley, OLB Earl Everett, OLB Lawrence Timmons, OLB Jay Moore, and OLB Stewart Bradley, and invited ILB Patrick Willis, ILB David Harris, ILB Jon Beason, OLB Anthony Spencer, and OLB Stewart Bradley to Foxboro.

In addition, the Patriots sniffed at Hartwell and several others.

They passed.

They had the salary cap space. They had the draft picks. They passed.

While I believe that the Patriots ILB corps is aging, thin, and unathletic, Belichick seems to believe otherwise.

I find it very interesting that the Patriots drafted a guard in the first round, following their success with Koppen, Andruzzi, Neal, Hochstein, and to some extent Mruczkowski and Yates -- and yet have never drafted a first day linebacker.

If Seau joins the team, I'm cool with it.

I guess your not the same Belichick fan that was on KFFL because he was actually a respectful poster.:rolleyes:
Yep, same one before they booted me for calling out one of the people who runs the place for calling all Patriots' fans their "immature" and "children".

I place myself in the same camp as Seymonster . . . While I believe that the Patriots ILB corps is aging, thin, and unathletic, Belichick seems to believe otherwise.
I think Belichick probably agrees with you and Sey. But he's not going to force it. Maybe they would have taken Beason had Meriweather been gone. Maybe they would have taken Beason had he been available at #28. Maybe they would have taken Timmons or Willis had they been available.

It's a matter of fit and value and need. Some around here seem to want us to take LB high solely for need.

Well I guess thats two of us that dont know anything....

No questioning the Patriots allowed on this site.

Damn, you love playing the victim. No one said you couldn't question the Patriots, but don't be friggin ignorant about what they have and haven't done.

:rolleyes:

Yes, its all me.

Yes, it is you.

I spent my time on a good board, unlike this one. I only became a member here when my regular board was down and now I see why.

This is one of the best boards around. Just because your ability to debate and actually recognize salient facts is what is limited doesn't mean that it is the fault of the posters on this board. You are the person making the claim that the Pats LB corps hasn't had any "TALENT" added to it. Yet, when people show you the TRUE comparisons, you act like a jerk and ignore it because it doesn't suit you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News