PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sean Payton will be a FA after this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Sean Payton deal with New Orleans Saints voided by NFL, sources say - ESPN

"Within the past year, the multiyear contract extension the Saints announced for Sean Payton in September 2011 was voided by the NFL, making the suspended head coach a free agent after this season and casting questions on how long he will remain in New Orleans, according to league sources."

OK, this is huge news. The Omissioner REALLY stuck it to the Saints. Per Adam Shefter he voided Sean Payton's contract extension as part of the "Bountygate" punishment, so now Payton will be a highly sought after FA coach after this season.

Imagine how we would all feel if Badell had voided BB's contract as part of Spygate.

Just in time to get rid of this washed up bum Belichick who has lost his mind and get a REAL HC like Payton who knows how to win.

Sean Payton would be a perfect assistant coach to Bill Belichick

Cowboys and Saints boards are probably on the "must read" level right now.

If he leaves NO he's going to Dallas. His kids are there,he has history there, and Jerrah will give him what ever he wants. It's going to be awful if that's happens for Saints fans, they have a real inferiority complex/hatred of Dallas like no non division rival I've ever seen.

The Cowboys are loaded with talent, the only thing they lack is discipline. If Payton is their Head Coach next season, they'll be a force to be reckoned with in the NFC.

Last edited:
The Omissioner REALLY stuck it to the Saints. Per Adam Shefter he voided Sean Payton's contract extension as part of the "Bountygate" punishment

Not true, the contract was voided before the punishment was handed down:

At issue in the contract was one specific clause that would have enabled Payton to walk away from the deal if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended, fired or left the New Orleans organization, sources said.

The league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts and rejected the deal well before Loomis was suspended for the first eight games this season for his part in the bounty scandal.

Regardless this does still suck for the Saints.

Imagine how we would all feel if Badell had voided BB's contract as part of Spygate.

It's a good thing that Kraft waited until immediately after punishments were handed down to sign Belichick to his contract extension.

As for the Saints if they were looking to get rid of Payton anyway to start a clean slate then this is actually good news for them. This way they wouldn't have to pay him to leave while he's under contract (I think that's how it works).

This is fascinating given the HCs on the hot seat in San Diego, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Jets, KC, etc. If it were possible to get Sean Payton, firing the HC would not be as big a deal. If the Jets fired both Tannenbaum and Ryan, Payton would make an interesting HC/GM.

Last edited:
What's the O/U on Jerry's contract offer? 5/40?

The contact wasn't voided because of Bountygate. It was voided because a clause in it was found unacceptable.
I don't see the issue here, they can just resign the deal without the clause in it.
Payton isn't leaving NO.

This is fascinating given the HCs on the hot seat in San Diego, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Jets, KC, etc. If it were possible to get Sean Payton, firing the HC would not be as big a deal. If the Jets fired both Tannenbaum and Ryan, Payton would make an interesting HC/GM.

Jets Insider.com Forums - View Single Post - Shefter: Sources: Sean Payton contract voided

You knew the Rats fans would be all over this, but to their credit it didn't take them long to realize that they suck, and it ain't happening.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think the real problem here is that everyone knows that Sean Payton is a top tier coach, and brilliant OC. Guaranteeing a winning season or shot at the playoffs for any team that makes him the highest payed HC in the NFL.
Wouldn't surprise me if SP brought the Browns to the playoffs,LOL.I think we all see the impact of him not coaching a highly talented offense like the Saints, and what he's been able to do with years of bad defensive play.

I think we find out soon how devoted he is to NO, because their is no way we can out bid some of these big market teams, and many have better defenses.
But SP will never go to a team with a questionable owner or that does not have a decent, but intelligent QB. Him being a QB once. His offensive plays and strategies are to complicated for someone like Vick, Rivers, Sanchez, Kolb to comprehend and execute effectively, with consistency.
Brees isn't the most talented, but he is very intelligent, devoted,and has excellent football knowledge, and thats why it works.

Last edited:
He's not going anywhere. Contract was voided due to language the NFL was afraid would set a bad precedent.

The Cowboys are loaded with talent, the only thing they lack is discipline. If Payton is their Head Coach next season, they'll be a force to be reckoned with in the NFC.
It doesn't how much talent they have when Tony Romo is their QB.

Well if the Saints want to keep Payton, all they have to do is pay him more money. I'm sure he'd like to go back to his players and his team if he can. And no, unless he's willing to coach defensive backs and is GOOD at it, I don't see Payton coming over to the Pats!

Sean Payton and BB are good friends. Maybe Payton can float the idea that he is interested in joining the Rats, and then once they have thrown Rex, Tannenbaum, and anyone else necessary under the bus, Payton can tell them that he has reconsidered.

The circus would go into overdrive.

Cowboys and Saints boards are probably on the "must read" level right now.

I am guessing that there are similar threads on fan forums for at least a dozen other NFL teams as well, though without a doubt those two surely top the list.

Saints
Cowboys
Chiefs
Redskins
Chargers
Browns
Jets
Eagles
Bengals
Panthers
Bills
Jaguars