PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: T.J. Watt

Considerable upside. I fear he's slightly overrated due to his name, but he's gotten better every year, his test numbers were excellent, and he seems to be an ascending talent. I'm definitely intrigued.

His lean lower half gives me a bit of concern. It speaks to your comment about translating spend to power. If you can't anchor when you are engaged, it's hard to control with your hands. At the same time, he is quite a smart football player, and his processing speed is quite strong, allowing him to close on the ball quickly.

I don't care much for family names unless you are looking for a tiebreaker. Otherwise, you are chasing shadows.

He would be a very movable part on our defense, with some Vrabel type potential.

Once Sheard leaves (and he will), we have a Grand Canyon-sized hole at DE.

We need Multiple starter-capable additions to the position, and we need to begin the rebuild at 32.

I would be OK with any of Watt, Taco Charlton, Charlie Harris, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson or Tarell Basham at that spot.
I expect all of Myles Garrett, Soloman Thomas & Derek Barnett (and probably Charlton anyway) to be gone by 32.
Ryan Anderson, Tyus Bowser, Demarcus Walker & Daeshon Hall are 2nd-rounders for me.

And I want nothing whatsoever to do with Jonathan Allen, Malik McDowell, Tak McKinley & Tim Williams as our first pick in the 1st round either.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back