PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schiano to interview for D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all those rooting for Flores.... being a good LB coach doesn't mean he's ready for, or will be a good DC. Just like McDaniels being a great OC, hasn't (so far) translated to being a good HC.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone seasoned and experienced as Schiano...
I'm rooting for Flores (especially after reading that article) but I want the best person for the job.

If BB thinks it's Schiano ....so be it

Didn't they bring in Floyd Reese to help Caserio transition??

Might be the same sitz here... while we all believe that Flores is competent, BB might want to make sure that all of his ducks are in a row rather than take a chance.. particularly as there will be a new OC as well..

Last edited:
For all those rooting for Flores.... being a good LB coach doesn't mean he's ready for, or will be a good DC. Just like McDaniels being a great OC, hasn't (so far) translated to being a good HC.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone seasoned and experienced as Schiano...

IIRC, for the final pre-season game last August, BB had O'Shea and Flores calling all the plays for the offense and defense, respectively. In hindsight, that may have been BB prepping for McD and MP getting HC gigs elsewhere and something of a "job interview" for the two assistants.

For the record, the Pats scrubs lost to the Gints scrubs 40-38. The Gints outscored the Pats 34-14 in the first half, but the Pats went on a 24-6 run in the second half and got beat by a 48-yd FG with 0:00 on the clock.

Brissett QB'd the whole game, going 28/39 for 341 yds, 4 TDs and a pick. LeShun Daniels was the leading rusher for the Pats (15/46) in a 25/86yd effort (including 29 from Brissett). Devin Lucien was the leading receiver (5/7 for 96 yds and a TD). Travis and Freeny were the leading tacklers (10 each), and Kilgo and Grissom got sacks.

The defense allowed a combo of Josh Johnson, Geno Smith and Davis Webb to complete 29 of 38 for 342 yds an 2 TDs. Matt LaCosse was the Gints leading receiver (5/5, 60 yds, 2 TDs). The Gints gained 141 yds on the ground, led by Shaun Draughn with 14/54 and a TD.

I wonder if he'll go without a true Defensive coordinator this year and have Flores as the DC in waiting and Schiano as a "special advisor" for a year.

Flores is ready. Some say he's even ready to take over BB's HC.

Not that I put too much in this “source“ or that it actually means for DC . but Id hardly be shocked if Flores takes OC.

Next hot NFL coach from Belichick tree: Brian Flores

quotes:

“Get to know Brian Flores,” NFC executive said. “He might actually be the Patriots’ best assistant coach, including both of the coordinators.”

“He’s a connector, he connects and motivates players at a really high level. He’s really sharp when you talk to him. Disciplined. He’s going to be a head coach someday. I don’t even think it’s out of the realm of possibility that he could succeed Bill Belichick in New England in a few years. He could be the guy.”

Part of the attraction to Flores comes from him having served on both sides of the fence for the Patriots, including as a personnel evaluator under Pioli for four years before eventually moving over to the coaching staff. He knows all facets of the Patriot Way intimately, from the draft to the field and all the organizational details in between.

Didn't they bring in Floyd Reese to help Caserio transition??

Might be the same sitz here... while we all believe that Flores is competent, BB might want to make sure that all of his ducks are in a row rather than take a chance.. particularly as there will be a new OC as well..
If that's the thinking I'd rather have RAC

IIRC, for the final pre-season game last August, BB had O'Shea and Flores calling all the plays for the offense and defense, respectively. In hindsight, that may have been BB prepping for McD and MP getting HC gigs elsewhere and something of a "job interview" for the two assistants.

For the record, the Pats scrubs lost to the Gints scrubs 40-38. The Gints outscored the Pats 34-14 in the first half, but the Pats went on a 24-6 run in the second half and got beat by a 48-yd FG with 0:00 on the clock.

Brissett QB'd the whole game, going 28/39 for 341 yds, 4 TDs and a pick. LeShun Daniels was the leading rusher for the Pats (15/46) in a 25/86yd effort (including 29 from Brissett). Devin Lucien was the leading receiver (5/7 for 96 yds and a TD). Travis and Freeny were the leading tacklers (10 each), and Kilgo and Grissom got sacks.

The defense allowed a combo of Josh Johnson, Geno Smith and Davis Webb to complete 29 of 38 for 342 yds an 2 TDs. Matt LaCosse was the Gints leading receiver (5/5, 60 yds, 2 TDs). The Gints gained 141 yds on the ground, led by Shaun Draughn with 14/54 and a TD.

I think we all can agree that the results of preseason games are totally irrelevant and that game was most certainly not some kind of test to see how Flores/O`Shea can handle the duty. BB wont need any preseason games called by those two to know how ready they are to step up for coordinator positions because he has been working with them for years.

The main reason they got to call those games were actual classic situational football thoughts. What if your coordinator has some kind of health emergency shortly before/during a game ? The same way that sometimes BB send the backup QB in to simulate emergency situations.

For Schiano's rep to be damaged is such crap. Totally unfair and wrong. The whole TN booster and alums org should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree. But still, BB interviewing Schiano would serve to remove any trace of doubt that anyone might have.

I'm not saying that this would be the reason for an interview, just that it would also serve that purpose.

I agree. But still, BB interviewing Schiano would serve to remove any trace of doubt that anyone might have.

I'm not saying that this would be the reason for an interview, just that it would also serve that purpose.
I suspect that is whats going on.

Flores is ready. Some say he's even ready to take over BB's HC.

Not that I put too much in this “source“ or that it actually means for DC . but Id hardly be shocked if Flores takes OC.

Next hot NFL coach from Belichick tree: Brian Flores

quotes:

“Get to know Brian Flores,” NFC executive said. “He might actually be the Patriots’ best assistant coach, including both of the coordinators.”

“He’s a connector, he connects and motivates players at a really high level. He’s really sharp when you talk to him. Disciplined. He’s going to be a head coach someday. I don’t even think it’s out of the realm of possibility that he could succeed Bill Belichick in New England in a few years. He could be the guy.”

Part of the attraction to Flores comes from him having served on both sides of the fence for the Patriots, including as a personnel evaluator under Pioli for four years before eventually moving over to the coaching staff. He knows all facets of the Patriot Way intimately, from the draft to the field and all the organizational details in between.

Flores will be running the defense no matter what happens with that Schiano interview. Like others have said the most likely scenario is that this is just to help him raise his profile. Whether this is just an interview for PR reasons or some kind of special assistant position to help Flores in his transition a bit makes no real difference.

I think everyone that keeps themselves informed in coaching saw the Schiano - Pats connection coming for a while now. So no surprise there.

I think we all can agree that the results of preseason games are totally irrelevant and that game was most certainly not some kind of test to see how Flores/O`Shea can handle the duty. BB wont need any preseason games called by those two to know how ready they are to step up for coordinator positions because he has been working with them for years.

The main reason they got to call those games were actual classic situational football thoughts. What if your coordinator has some kind of health emergency shortly before/during a game ? The same way that sometimes BB send the backup QB in to simulate emergency situations.

I agree that was likely the major part of it, but not everything that's done necessarily happens for one reason and one reason only.

BTW - I only included the "results" because I guessed that some folks would wonder how it went, relevant or not.

Maybe he wants to bring him on as a assistant or special Teams Coach?

We dont need a ST coach. If Joe Judge leaves Ventrone will take over.

He has a steady job and not the time to go off on a one-year special assistant sabbatical watching over Flores.
He could want to win.

Nope. He is the DC.

They made him an assistant HC not to lose Vrabel last year to another team but now that he has left RAC is back at it.
Yeah I just checked out their website

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand