PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter Rumor: QB Josh Rosen “could be” traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also the 2021 or 2022 draft.

Many take the approach that when Belichick needs to, he'll look at the then current draft, and make whoever is there a star. There will always be such a player available in the 30's of the draft, a player who is an immediate starter and does not need a year of preparation.

Others think that having a young backup is a good idea, even if Brady plays another 4 years.

If we are outbid for Rosen (for me that wd be anything more than a 2nd rounder), there is always next year's draft. .

Im a little late to the party, why are the cardinals trading him 1 year after taking him 10th overall??
Because the Cardinals organization is a s*** show. If they do take Kyler Murray, it will make or break Kingsberry and Steve Keim (NFL’s most overrated GM). However, if Keim survives another debacle like this, I don’t know what gets him fired.

Taking a QB within the top 10 of the draft two years in a row would be hilarious and unprecedented.

Last edited:
Let’s get this trade done before the cell phone breaks start. This years 2nd 64th and next years 4th. Plus we get Arizona’s 7th.

Again...no thanks. I want that 2nd spent on a play maker on offense.....or the defensive line.

Rosen has 3 years left on his deal....even if he were to sit behind Brady for two of those years....we would have to pay him BIG money based on his performance in his 4th year...that's a tough evaluation to make, IMO....moreso if Brady is serious about playing to 45...the man is not even 42 yet....that is 3 more years by my math.

Brady started 12 games in 2001 and Rosen 15

Brady threw for 2,643 and Rosen 2,278

Brady average per catch was 6.9 yards and Rosen 5.8 yards

Brady had 18 TD's to 12 ints. Rosen was 11TD's and 14 ints.

Brady was sacked 41 times with a good OL. and 3 fewer starts. Rosen was sacked 45 times with a paper mache OL.

Brady's QBR this year was 68.8 and Rosen was 66.7

Brady rushed for 43 Yards in 2001 and Rosen 138 first year.

I am not against a trade for Rosen but all of this above is absolutely meaningless.

If you want to make an argument for why trading for Rosen is a great opportunity then talk about some of his traits that would fit well in NE. What are his strengths ? His weaknesses ? How do those translate into an Erhardt-Perkins offense ? And so on..

I don't have that insight so I am trying to stay out of the entire conversation but can't help but chuckle at posts that try to make a case for a player based on stats and not traits.

Here is why Rosen is certainly worth a 2nd round pick

great pocket presence, hangs in under pressure, smart

Again...no thanks. I want that 2nd spent on a play maker on offense.....or the defensive line.

Rosen has 3 years left on his deal....even if he were to sit behind Brady for two of those years....we would have to pay him BIG money based on his performance in his 4th year...that's a tough evaluation to make, IMO....moreso if Brady is serious about playing to 45...the man is not even 42 yet....that is 3 more years by my math.
You are talking about the best case scenario.

"We would need to pay Rosen because he kicked ass".

That means BB found the next QB to replace Tom...again.

Why is that a problem?

You are talking about the best case scenario.

"We would need to pay Rosen because he kicked ass".

That means BB found the next QB to replace Tom...again.

Why is that a problem?

Not a problem per se...but overall I see it as sacrificing a 2nd rounder that could help Brady in the next 2-3 seasons.

I'd rather let someone else groom our QB or just spend a fortune in 2-3 seasons to grab one.

I am 99% sure the Brady era will end ugly.....and we would highly likely be in position to draft a QB early if it ends ugly...and drafting a QB early gives us a 5 year window to develop under a rookie contract.

Then again, if the Cardinals are willing to do Rosen for a 3...I might be interested...only because Rosen's salary is so low the next 3 seasons. A 2? When we need pass catchers BADLY.....I'd rather flip that 2 for A.J. Green. Rosen is just gonna look pretty on the bench until Brady sucks....I could root for A.J. Green catching bombs on Sundays.

Not a problem per se...but overall I see it as sacrificing a 2nd rounder that could help Brady in the next 2-3 seasons.

I'd rather let someone else groom our QB or just spend a fortune in 2-3 seasons to grab one.

I am 99% sure the Brady era will end ugly.....and we would highly likely be in position to draft a QB early if it ends ugly...and drafting a QB early gives us a 5 year window to develop under a rookie contract.

Then again, if the Cardinals are willing to do Rosen for a 3...I might be interested...only because Rosen's salary is so low the next 3 seasons. A 2? When we need pass catchers BADLY.....I'd rather flip that 2 for A.J. Green. Rosen is just gonna look pretty on the bench until Brady sucks....I could root for A.J. Green catching bombs on Sundays.

If Brady intends to play until 45 that would be 4 more seasons. I think it's completely impossible that he will be even an average QB if he plays at 45. So I agree with your point. I think we have a 2 year title window left and if Brady plays at 44 and 45 it won't look pretty. But we would be in a position to draft the successor because our roster doesn't look like it will have 5-6 All-Pros in 3-4 years either. I doubt BB look at it that way but I could live with that scenario. Compete for another SB or 2 in the next 2 years and then suck with TB for 2 years to give us a high draft pick or 2. BB is probably gone the moment he realizes that's the way it will go but so be it. I rather win another championship or 2 now than have Josh Rosen on the bench.

I hadn't been thinking about the impact on Brady's tenure. If Rosen is good, and Brady starts to feel it after next year, it could be helpful in terms of the transition.

Interesting read. I'll quote a couple paragraphs that stood out to me. You might protest that Brady doesn't spend off seasons at the facilities, either, but he's put in his time and has a family now. Rosen is coming off an underwhelming rookie year. Not a great look.

Rosen To Murray: How Cardinals Got Here Amidst Crazy Offseason | The Draft Network

Still, when Kingsbury affirmed their belief in Rosen on February 12th, he wasn’t lying. The Cardinals were all in on Rosen at that time, per multiple league sources. Over time however, a few things changed. Rosen is of course not required to be at the facility this offseason, but Carson Palmer basically lived there, and Rosen hasn’t been there at all. He has yet to meet Kingsbury in person, although the two have spoken on the phone a few times.

Rosen’s interests outside of football are no secret (that has included finishing his degree this winter), and from everything we can glean he hasn’t shirked any of his responsibilities as a quarterback in pursuit of those. Still, the Cardinals were spoiled by Palmer’s dedication to basically live at the facility in the offseason, and Rosen is unlikely to ever operate that way.

Behind all of this is the worst-kept secret in media: Rosen was never fired up about moving to and living in Arizona, from the moment he was drafted until now. From what we’ve heard, we don’t believe those feelings have manifested themselves in his attitude or work ethic in season - Kingsbury praised his toughness and resiliency in the face of adversity on the field many times in his Combine presser - but now that the season is over, Rosen’s attention has turned to a bevy of offseason activities that don’t necessarily incorporate copious amounts of football into his routine.

I hadn't been thinking about the impact on Brady's tenure. If Rosen is good, and Brady starts to feel it after next year, it could be helpful in terms of the transition.
That's a big if though. Kyler Murray doesn't look like a generational talent to me so why get rid of your 1st round QB from a year ago?

That's a big if though. Kyler Murray doesn't look like a generational talent to me so why get rid of your 1st round QB from a year ago?
Kingsbury looks at Murray as a generational talent for his offense.
Cardinals looking to inject excitement.

Kingsbury looks at Murray as a generational talent for his offense.
Cardinals looking to inject excitement.
We will take the Rosen one at 10 cents on the dollar I think LA will be our biggest comp.
NY Giants are going Haskins or Lock.
Surprised the Broncos aren't creeping around either

If Brady intends to play until 45 that would be 4 more seasons. I think it's completely impossible that he will be even an average QB if he plays at 45. So I agree with your point. I think we have a 2 year title window left and if Brady plays at 44 and 45 it won't look pretty. But we would be in a position to draft the successor because our roster doesn't look like it will have 5-6 All-Pros in 3-4 years either. I doubt BB look at it that way but I could live with that scenario. Compete for another SB or 2 in the next 2 years and then suck with TB for 2 years to give us a high draft pick or 2. BB is probably gone the moment he realizes that's the way it will go but so be it. I rather win another championship or 2 now than have Josh Rosen on the bench.

Brady's playing until 45 UNLESS Garropolo flames out in SF in 21 or 22, when they save $20m+ if they cut him.

JAG wsa just a rental...mwahahaha. Shipped him to the farm team to let him develop while Brady finishes out his magnificent career...

I hear you but I don't think having another team groom the future QB of the NEP is optimal. I think having a promising young Qb sit, watch Tom for 6 months and have Josh and BB grill the kid on a daily basis is a better plan.

Bombs? That is not, and never was Tom's game. Short/intermediate passing game.

5 years ago, there was a LOT of unhappiness here that we "wasted" pick #62 on Jimmy Garoppolo, who would do nothing but hold a clipboard. I argued at that time that a good backup QB can mean the difference between a wasted season and a playoff run if, say, Brady should miss a handful of games.

At this stage, that argument still holds along with a couple of others:

- Brady's retirement may or may not be nigh, but I think we can all agree that it's 5 years closer than in 2014. ;) In the fortunate situation that a rookie (or last year's 1st rounder with a 5th-year option) is actually starter-worthy, the chances that he'll be called on are much greater this time around.

- That wasted pick #62 not only gave us a quality backup, but turned into last year's #42. IOW if he's too good to re-sign, he's a tradeable commodity.

(In case you're curious what became of the Jimmy pick, it was traded and retraded and eventually became this year's #56 & #73, plus Christian Sam and part of Duke Dawson. So if the Patriots were to trade pick #56 for Rosen, it would mean that they got four years of Rosen for half of the return from trading away one year of Garoppolo.)

Only because of lack of personnel, IMO...see Moss...
I disagree. Tom has never been great at the deep ball. Hes been passable and Moss took him to the next level.

Interesting read. I'll quote a couple paragraphs that stood out to me. You might protest that Brady doesn't spend off seasons at the facilities, either, but he's put in his time and has a family now. Rosen is coming off an underwhelming rookie year. Not a great look.

Rosen To Murray: How Cardinals Got Here Amidst Crazy Offseason | The Draft Network

There is no sourcing in that article. “From everything we’ve gleaned”, “from what we’ve heard”. That’s internet speak for ‘this is entirely speculation and we have no sources. Sorry Reamer, don’t want to be a pill, but that article doesn’t really help (a dig at TDN, not you).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back