PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter Report: Falcons Plan to Hire Raheem Morris as Head Coach for 2024 season

When you read this thread, you realize they were blown away by several of the candidates, none of them were Bill. Without getting into details, it makes it clear why Bill wasn't selected even though he's never mentioned.

There's a lot more that goes into these selections than historical football knowledge and Xs/Os. These franchises are looking for young energetic leaders that can motivate, develop and inspire this younger generation of players.

Why Bill thinking he could re-structure their entire operation was a deal killer. Too complex.

Great young talent out there!

I disagree. It'll make even less sense next year. Bill will now be 73 and a year removed from daily football interactions. Then there's his whole aura being squashed by nobody hiring him this season.

A new hot shot young coordinator will emerge (or several). Guys that weren't picked this cycle are in the queue. The younger HCs are getting 6/7 year contracts so there will be less opportunities. Doubtful any of these teams will be looking, either because they have newer coaches or are being successful:
ARZ
ATL
BAL
CAR
CIN
CLE
DEN
DET
GB
HOU
IND
JAC
KC
LAC
LAR
LV
MIA
MIN
NE
PIT
SEA
SF
TB
TEN
WAS

Possible teams looking based on results:
BUF - strong GM
CHI
DAL - Jerruh
NO - strong GM
NYG
NYJ
PHI - strong GM

I suppose the NYG is a possibility but after Judge and Daboll, their fan base would prob. lose it w/ another ex- Pat. Maybe not. CHI is an interesting choice given they have a very young GM. Then there's the Rats. Don't see it.

I honestly think his window closed.
He was forced to put in Brady after his original choice, Drew, got injured.

OIG4.8KpoMr_OHkB17ebw27YX.jpeg

I cannot celebrate Belichick not getting a job and ultimately facing embarrassment. This guy brought us six Super Bowl wins, three other appearances, and almost a yearly guarantee that the Pats were playing in the AFCCG. No, he didn't do it alone. We can argue forever how much he had to do with it and how much Brady did, but it is hard to deny he had a huge role.

Yes, his final years here were marred with bad decisions and controversy, but that doesn't change the dynasty run. I would love to see him end his career on a high point and not embarrassment and ridicule.
I was honestly hoping the Eagles or Cowboys jobs would open up so Bill can go do what he does best. Coach up a team and game plan. He can still do that better than anyone but it has became very evident he can no longer evaluate talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The Cowboys and Eagles are too ready made teams he could have jumped right into and potentially gotten them over the hump. If this truly is the end of the line for Bill it really will be pretty embarrassing for him.

I disagree. It'll make even less sense next year. Bill will now be 73 and a year removed from daily football interactions. Then there's his whole aura being squashed by nobody hiring him this season.

A new hot shot young coordinator will emerge (or several). Guys that weren't picked this cycle are in the queue. The younger HCs are getting 6/7 year contracts so there will be less opportunities. Doubtful any of these teams will be looking, either because they have newer coaches or are being successful:
ARZ
ATL
BAL
CAR
CIN
CLE
DEN
DET
GB
HOU
IND
JAC
KC
LAC
LAR
LV
MIA
MIN
NE
PIT
SEA
SF
TB
TEN
WAS

Possible teams looking based on results:
BUF - strong GM
CHI
DAL - Jerruh
NO - strong GM
NYG
NYJ
PHI - strong GM

I suppose the NYG is a possibility but after Judge and Daboll, their fan base would prob. lose it w/ another ex- Pat. Maybe not. CHI is an interesting choice given they have a very young GM. Then there's the Rats. Don't see it.

I honestly think his window closed.
Really is looking like the window is closed. I am sure if he makes some concessions next year he will be considered for some jobs but honestly the league has moved past Bill. This isn't the 90's or early 2000's anymore where the same 10-15 50 to 60 year old head coaches got recycled throughout the league. The average age of NFL head coaches right now is 47 and will skew even lower when Ben Johnson takes the Washington job and if Reid does in fact retire that will likely pushed the average close to 40 years old.

No one has lived by the "What have you done for me lately?" motto more than Bill and his age and track record without Brady are impossible to ignore. He shot himself in the foot with the bad drafting (that myself and some other posters were calling out years ago only to be hit with the "6 rings") and then really put the nail in his own coffin by running Brady out of town. In the end Bill was brought down by his own ego.

Really is looking like the window is closed. I am sure if he makes some concessions next year he will be considered for some jobs but honestly the league has moved past Bill. This isn't the 90's or early 2000's anymore where the same 10-15 50 to 60 year old head coaches got recycled throughout the league. The average age of NFL head coaches right now is 47 and will skew even lower when Ben Johnson takes the Washington job and if Reid does in fact retire that will likely pushed the average close to 40 years old.

No one has lived by the "What have you done for me lately?" motto more than Bill and his age and track record without Brady are impossible to ignore. He shot himself in the foot with the bad drafting (that myself and some other posters were calling out years ago only to be hit with the "6 rings") and then really put the nail in his own coffin by running Brady out of town. In the end Bill was brought down by his own ego.
bill-belichick-rings.webp

8 rings

Doesn't change the fact he's the greatest head coach of all time and the greatest GM of all time.
Also doesn't change the fact the game has moved on without him. I appreciate what it is did here but it is clear that his time is up and the league seems to agree.

Also doesn't change the fact the game has moved on without him. I appreciate what it is did here but it is clear that his time is up and the league seems to agree.
So long as you kiss the rings

So long as you kiss the rings
That picture Bill took with you and your family really had an impact on you. You're one of his staunchest defenders. Good for you. I like a man with conviction.

My prediction, we look back on this and say that this was the best thing that could have happened to Bill. A lot of these teams will flop with their new HC, the media pendulum will swing to "how were these teams so dumb to not hire Bill", he'll get a better opportunity next cycle.
why will Bill be more likely to be given full control by someone next year, after a year away and being a year older.

The ATL owner wanted to hire COACH but not if he needed to make personnel decisions. I suspect that the same was true at DAL.

yup

The league has NOT moved beyond Bill. He could have been one of the best HC's in the league in 2024. Bill CHOSE not to be only a HC, not enough for Bill. In truth, HC would be a demotion for Bill.

why will Bill be more likely to be given full control by someone next year, after a year away and being a year older.

The ATL owner wanted to hire COACH but not if he needed to make personnel decisions. I suspect that the same was true at DAL.
It would be because they are so desperate that they would make a deal with the devil... I mean Bill. If BUF, DAL, PHI, CIN flame out with these expensive rosters then I can see those owners being willing to make a call to the GOAT HC and see how much magic is left.

Pretty good list.

That picture Bill took with you and your family really had an impact on you. You're one of his staunchest defenders. Good for you. I like a man with conviction.
He's easy to defend. He and Brady have given us some great memories. More than any other fan base got from one coach and QB.

It was through a credit card promotion we got to attend an annual dinner with the coach several times. Small group of people, photo op, and he'd spend 30 minutes or so talking about the previous season, the upcoming season, and then he'd do a question and answer where he pretty much took a question from everyone in the room who wanted to ask one.

True story I once asked him why he benched Butler. His response was that he'd already said all he was going to about that.

Don't get Commanders since they're hiring a new HC.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back