PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Pats made offer to Zach Thomas on Monday [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Pats made offer to Zach Thomas on Monday [merged]

He is thinking I have a role for Zach that will help this team.

Apparently, the same can be said of Jonathan Vilma, since Belichick apparently was also willing to draft him if he was still available. . . .

But, seriously, isn't this just further proof that the 'lphins are the gift that keeps on giving? :D

Last edited:
Re: Patriots make offer to Thomas

lets hope we made him an offer he can't refuse MUHAHAHAHAHcough

isn't this yesterday's news?

did you know Willie McGinest signed with the Browns?

wow

(sarcasm..old news lol)

I think Rosenhaus is full of crap.

Great. an old timer linebacking group.

per rotoworld.com

Zach Thomas - LB Feb. 19 - 11:03 am et

Free agent Zach Thomas is reportedly in search of a multi-year deal that includes guaranteed money.
The Providence Journal speculates the Patriots' offer may have only been for the minimum plus incentives. Thomas will meet with the Saints Tuesday and the Cowboys on Wednesday. The Jets and Bills also want to interview him.
Source: Providence Journal

Great. an old timer linebacking group.

It was sufficient to get the Patriots to the Super Bowl. And they really weren't the reason the Pats didn't win the SB...until the game-winning drive by the Giants, the Pats' D had given up the following:

- 10 points
- 84 yards rushing on 24 carries, for a 3.5 average
- 178 yards passing on 14-25 completions (56.0%)

That last drive, as someone pointed out in another thread, could have ended on like 8 different occasions, but the Pats' defense just couldn't make the big play. But really, none of those possible stops that didn't happen were the fault of the LB. Samuel's missed pick...same for Rodney and Meriweather. The 4th and 1 where Jacobs got through...the D-line could/should have stuffed him for a loss. Etc.

So the old, slow, Pats' LB corps did a great job overall.

And hey, if they replace Seau with Thomas, they're getting a player 5 years *younger*. :singing:

That ProJo article was as fact based as tomASSe's pre SB article about you know what.

"It is unclear what type of deal the Patriots offered but obviously it was not one either Thomas or Rosenhaus were immediately eager to sign. It is possible the Patriots offered a deal that pays the veteran minimum of $830,000 for 2008 with bonuses tied to play-time and other incentive categories."

The italicized piece is the only fact. The first bold part says "we know nothing" and the second bold part speculates despite the fact that "we know nothing".

That ProJo article was as fact based as tomASSe's pre SB article about you know what.

"It is unclear what type of deal the Patriots offered but obviously it was not one either Thomas or Rosenhaus were immediately eager to sign. It is possible the Patriots offered a deal that pays the veteran minimum of $830,000 for 2008 with bonuses tied to play-time and other incentive categories."

The italicized piece is the only fact. The first bold part says "we know nothing" and the second bold part speculates despite the fact that "we know nothing".

exactly, the rest is just speculation. as you have alluded to a couple of times, rosenhaus left NE with stallworth last year before signing. i dont think thomas going to new orleans means a lot to the patriots offer, one way or another.

Last edited:

I wish I could figure out what Belichick is thinking when it comes to moves like this. This guy obliviously doesn't fit the normal measureables for his system. Is he a big nickel guy? Are we looking to add a 4-3 mike? Are we pinching in the ends / 1 gapping the front, and we want a ballhawk at ILB, not a guard-basher? A damn-the-scheme-this-guy-is-a-player guy?

If I had to guess, I'd say we're looking to change up the normal scheme to create more pressure up the middle. Either 1-gapping with Seau, Zach, and Adalius, or going to a 4-3 more often.

If the fact that zach Thomas kills us didn't persuade him, perhaps his good years in Saban's own 3-4 scheme did. thomas proved he could play at a pro bowl level in the 3-4.

did you know Willie McGinest signed with the Browns?

wow

(sarcasm..old news lol)

:)

My bad, I knew they had him in for an interview, just didn't know they made an offer.

My off-season timing is just that...off....:D

LOL I posted on this last night... but with the proliferation of new threads every time any given individual talks about whether he believes Belichick tips well or some such s h i *, they're gone pretty quick ;)

PFnV

If the fact that zach Thomas kills us didn't persuade him, perhaps his good years in Saban's own 3-4 scheme did. thomas proved he could play at a pro bowl level in the 3-4.
I'm not an expert on the Miami Dolphins defenses of the recent (or any) past, but I don't remember often seeing Zach Thomas in situations where he had to plug playside gaps. If the Pats put him in this 3-4 as the Will they'd have to shift under him on the defensive line to let him read and react to plays. That's what I recall Saban's scheme doing, in addition to 1-gapping a lot, which gauranteed it was the Mike linebacker that most often had to plug the guard.

I think Thomas is going to play for either NE or Dallas. His quotes and preferences pretty much tell you as much...

"The 3-4 is a great defense and everybody thinks you're not as protected. That is not true," Thomas told WQAM this past week. "I've studied this game for a long time. You only have to worry about one guy cracking me in a 3-4. In a 4-3 you have to worry about numerous guys. ... I played with it for nine years and I love a 4-3. But a 3-4 I pick over any defense. But I still could possibly end up with a 4-3."

There's also speculation at least four other teams (Houston, Denver, Buffalo and the Jets) have expressed interest in talking to Thomas, but he's stressed a preference to play for a contender with an established quarterback.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins19sbfeb19,0,10724.story

Also, Zach suffered the concussion earlier in the year. From what I've been reading his other problem (migraines) later in the year was associated with the whiplash he suffered during a car accident, not the concussion.

Question, I've noticed Zach's injury problems described as "Concussions", didn't he just have one concussion, and then whiplash? I'm interested to know, as a singular concussion isn't as worrisome as multiple concussions.

Has he had concussions during past seasons?

Last edited:

I think Thomas is going to play for either NE or Dallas. His quotes and preferences pretty much tell you as much...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins19sbfeb19,0,10724.story

Also, Zach suffered the concussion earlier in the year. From what I've been reading his other problem (migraines) later in the year was associated with the whiplash he suffered during a car accident, not the concussion.

Question, I've noticed Zach's injury problems described as "Concussions", didn't he just have one concussion, and then whiplash? I'm interested to know, as a singular concussion isn't as worrisome as multiple concussions.

Has he had concussions during past seasons?

None that I recall. People have a short term reaction problem.

Free agent Zach Thomas is reportedly in search of a multi-year deal that includes guaranteed money.

The Providence Journal speculates the Patriots' offer may have only been for the minimum plus incentives. Thomas will meet with the Saints Tuesday and the Cowboys on Wednesday. The Jets and Bills also want to talk to him. If money is the primary factor, he probably won't sign with the Patriots.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=NE

Is anybody a little concerned were not closing in on the free agents were bringing in.

Is anybody a little concerned were not closing in on the free agents were bringing in.
Not me. It's really, really early in FA right now; there will be a huge number of options including re-signing players of our own. I would expect them to only sign someone now if he comes REALLY at the team's price. If not, I assume they'll fish around what should be a fairly wide open market.

Dallas is the real competition here. Wade Phillips has apparently always liked the guy. These quotes came from Phillips before the Cowboys-Dolphins game this year (in which he suffered the concussion):

"Oh yeah, he's one of my favorites," Phillips said. "He's a guy I try to say hello to or talk to after we play them. A lot of players, that's part of being the fan in you. To be able to talk to or see, the other guys on other teams. I enjoy that, playing against great players or seeing him play. I like to watch him when we see him on tape, in other games we watch Miami's defense a lot because they play 3-4 and other teams we play. I like to watch him. He plays the way it ought to be played... He gets to the football. He's got a real knack. He's a great player, and fun to watch on tape. He goes 100 miles per hour."

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2008/02/wade-phillips-on-zach-thomas.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back