PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Expect Pats to Keep Garoppolo Beyond 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he's lying' out his ass about REPEATED statements of playing several more seasons, playing until he's 45. These statements are recent, not seasons ago.
So let's completely disregard EVERY statement Brady has consistently made on the matter and instead come to the opposite conclusion based on mysterious "tea leaves".

I mean seriously. WTF???

No one is accusing brady of lying, but circumstances change. Giselle could get a hold of him OR the pats could decide to move on regardless of what brady wants to do. I think schefter's opinion has more to do with the pats' thinking than brady's.

Probably not happening and even then, irrelevant: their skill sets are very, very different.

I made that comment to mimic the "all in" mentality given to JG over Brady. Why can't I be all in on Brissett over JG? It's just as ridiculous imo.

But to address their skill sets. (I do agree that JG is far ahead of Brissett at the moment in terms of development.)

I wouldn't say their skill sets are very different. JG's release is quicker and Brissett may run a bit better but they are both of similar height and weight, both are intelligent, both are tough and competitive, and both have demonstrated poise and composure in the pocket. I won't judge Brissett's accuracy at this point but both were accurate in their games but JG has the clear edge. Brissett missed some deep routes in his game but that could be a timing and continuity issue with his receivers.

The question is how well do they do pre and post snap. JG had the clear advantage last year and played extremely well during his game and a half audition. Jacoby during his one game audition ( actually less than one because he injured his thumb half way through the game) did well for being a rookie. He made two throws which went to his second read although I think one of those plays was a designed second read throw and yes I know the game plan was stripped down for him but nevertheless he did well.

Sidenote: I've rewatched the Texans game a few times and it's become one of my favorites of that season. The whole team rallied behind the rookie QB as they did behind JG. Fun game to watch.

I made that comment to mimic the "all in" mentality given to JG over Brady. Why can't I be all in on Brissett over JG? It's just as ridiculous imo.

But to address their skill sets. (I do agree that JG is far ahead of Brissett at the moment in terms of development.)

I wouldn't say their skill sets are very different. JG's release is quicker and Brissett may run a bit better but they are both of similar height and weight, both are intelligent, both are tough and competitive, and both have demonstrated poise and composure in the pocket. I won't judge Brissett's accuracy at this point but both were accurate in their games but JG has the clear edge. Brissett missed some deep routes in his game but that could be a timing and continuity issue with his receivers.

The question is how well do they do pre and post snap. JG had the clear advantage last year and played extremely well during his game and a half audition. Jacoby during his one game audition ( actually less than one because he injured his thumb half way through the game) did well for being a rookie. He made two throws which went to his second read although I think one of those plays was a designed second read throw and yes I know the game plan was stripped down for him but nevertheless he did well.

Sidenote: I've rewatched the Texans game a few times and it's become one of my favorites of that season. The whole team rallied behind the rookie QB as they did behind JG. Fun game to watch.

Again speculation cause we don't know but if the Pats thought Jacoby was going to be a potential successor I can't see how the Patriots chose to keep JG. The Browns contacted the Pats on Day 1 of the draft so we can assume 1st round picks were involved. And you have to consider Brady has 2 or 3 seasons left of high level play, so that would be perfect timing for Brisset to come in.

Instead we hear the Patriots are going to try and keep JG beyond 2017. Which obviously makes sense.. imo they have to keep JG now or franchise him and trade him.

I don't see the franchise and trade thing happening. But who the hell knows.

In regards to your 2018 scenario - that depends on the circumstances at that time. If Brady is still going strong and BB thinks he's genuinely going to continue his excellent level of play for 3 more years, then perhaps Jimmy goes. If BB is not so confident of that, perhaps not. It's all just hypothetical talk anyway.

In regards to Brissett outplaying Jimmy in preseason, that's a hard thing to evaluate because preseason performance isn't necessarily indicative of true worth. BB commonly puts his QBs in positions or situations they need work in and so you're not necessarily seeing the player being utilized to maximize their strengths. I don't think Jimmy really looked that great last preseason, if memory serves correctly, but then he went on to defeat Arizona and drop 21 in Miami in less than two quarters.

BB would, again, have all of the reps and practice intel that we fans do not, and would make his decisions based on the short- and long-term worth to the team.

Don't mean to be argumentative if my posts come off that way - just enjoying the discussion. I could end up totally wrong (and I wouldn't mind it at all). Just saying how I see it. :)

You're not coming off as argumentative at all and I'm enjoying the discussion as well.

I threw the what if JB would surpass JG scenario to mimic the what ifs regarding JG over TB stuff. Why can't I be all in on Brissett? Don't I have the right to assume as much as those who assume JG will carry this team to a SB? To me both are ridiculous assumptions if they venture into the Trade Brady discussion. I do understand the desire to hold onto JG and admit it isn't an easy decision.

If it was a discussion of which back up would I want to take over after Brady retires the answer would be JG hands down. Even if I had a choice of any back up in the league.

But it's a discussion of trading Brady to keep JG which imo potentially forfeits any SB runs Brady would have given us if he was here.

Jimmy G has top 5 Active QB potential
That's his ceiling
We have the best QB currently til he retires or regresses and is traded or cut out right Tommy is the Goat.

Again speculation cause we don't know but if the Pats thought Jacoby was going to be a potential successor I can't see how the Patriots chose to keep JG. The Browns contacted the Pats on Day 1 of the draft so we can assume 1st round picks were involved. And you have to consider Brady has 2 or 3 seasons left of high level play, so that would be perfect timing for Brisset to come in.

Instead we hear the Patriots are going to try and keep JG beyond 2017. Which obviously makes sense.. imo they have to keep JG now or franchise him and trade him.

I don't see the franchise and trade thing happening. But who the hell knows.

I think they are keeping JG because he is absolutely the best insurance policy to have on the bench. The Patriots and Brady could have already made retirement plans. I don't know. They could keep JG on the roster just to see how it plays out. But if Brady doesn't decline there is no way they trade him away imo.

I have only been arguing against the keep JG and trade Brady stuff. To me it's throwing away SB runs, if Brady is playing like Brady, just to take a shot with a promising backup. It makes no sense to me.

The what if Jacoby comment was to throw my what if wrench into the argument. I don't think it worked. :D

I think they are keeping JG because he is absolutely the best insurance policy to have on the bench. The Patriots and Brady could have already made retirement plans. I don't know. They could keep JG on the roster just to see how it plays out. But if Brady doesn't decline there is no way they trade him away imo.

I have only been arguing against the keep JG and trade Brady stuff. To me it's throwing away SB runs, if Brady is playing like Brady, just to take a shot with a promising backup. It makes no sense to me.

The what if Jacoby comment was to throw my what if wrench into the argument. I don't think it worked. :D

Ya never know Bill seems to like JB. But he is obviously an unknown and might take another season or 2 to figure out what JB is going to be. To me Jacoby has some major work to do if he wants to be a starting QB.

But Regardless of who JG or JB is, Bill is definitely not sold that TB has 3 years left of play. If he was sold I am sure he would have traded JG. Suppose to be a deep QB class in 2018.

Just because Bill is not sold now doesn't mean Brady won't be the starter for the next 3 years. However if he is I don't see any way that JG is on the roster.

JG is a great insurance policy, but we as Pats fans and even Bill himself has never really had a guy backing up TB that could lead the Patriots to the playoffs. So this is a first. Bill himself said there is very little difference between JG and TB play.. however we still don't know if JG has the balls and the toughness that TB has. JG still has to prove he has "It" and we won't know that until he plays a full season and some playoff games.

One thing fans will have to realize is that after TB leaves or retires no one will ever be as good as him. Or there is a very small chance of that happening.

Didn't read the whole thread, but man is this a depressing thread to read

Bill himself said there is very little difference between JG and TB play..

Link? Not doubting you, just would like to read the article so I can get the full context.

[
Ya never know Bill seems to like JB. But he is obviously an unknown and might take another season or 2 to figure out what JB is going to be. To me Jacoby has some major work to do if he wants to be a starting QB.

But Regardless of who JG or JB is, Bill is definitely not sold that TB has 3 years left of play. If he was sold I am sure he would have traded JG. Suppose to be a deep QB class in 2018.

Just because Bill is not sold now doesn't mean Brady won't be the starter for the next 3 years. However if he is I don't see any way that JG is on the roster.

JG is a great insurance policy, but we as Pats fans and even Bill himself has never really had a guy backing up TB that could lead the Patriots to the playoffs. So this is a first. Bill himself said there is very little difference between JG and TB play.. however we still don't know if JG has the balls and the toughness that TB has. JG still has to prove he has "It" and we won't know that until he plays a full season and some playoff games.

One thing fans will have to realize is that after TB leaves or retires no one will ever be as good as him. Or there is a very small chance of that happening.
I also want to see how he does on a team that isn't stacked. I have no doubt he would lead the current (or next years) Patriots into the playoffs. But what if he has a weaker receiving core? A poor OL? How will he deal with that?

I think it is truly beyond amazing what Brady did in 2015. With a decimated o line, no running backs or healthy wide receivers, he took the pats to the afc title game.

Beyond amazing!

[

I also want to see how he does on a team that isn't stacked. I have no doubt he would lead the current (or next years) Patriots into the playoffs. But what if he has a weaker receiving core? A poor OL? How will he deal with that?
Receiver CORPS. Not "core."

The great thing about football is it's the ultimate team game. As long as the Patriots keep winning, making the playoffs and representing a legitimate threat, the inevitable loss of Brady will be surmountable. JG represents hope that the Patriots in the immediate post-Brady era can maintain a standard of excellence offensively.

No one is accusing brady of lying, but circumstances change. Giselle could get a hold of him OR the pats could decide to move on regardless of what brady wants to do. I think schefter's opinion has more to do with the pats' thinking than brady's.

Remember that his 2010 extension was signed the day after his car crash.

2017 will be Brady's last season. Would bet money on it. I'm sure Belichick loves Brady like a son, but he's never let hurt feelings come before his football team

I think the pats will offer to trade brady wherever he wants, but i think he will choose retirement. Why play for a crappy team when you can live in good health with gisele and the kids?
I personally think this is wishful thinking. Short of Gisele forcing him out, Brady would love the challenge of doing it on his own with the right cast (i.e. BoB or McDaniels as HC) if he could.

Didn't read the whole thread, but man is this a depressing thread to read

In the end, we all have an opinion as to how much longer he or Brady will be here, but none of us really know, so I'm expecting a lot of arguments. I fully expect it to hit 50+ pages by training camp.

2017 will be Brady's last season. Would bet money on it. I'm sure Belichick loves Brady like a son, but he's never let hurt feelings come before his football team
While your last sentence certainly has some truth to it, I'm not sure what benefit it would be to Belichick or the team to trade away the greatest QB of all time, especially while he's playing at such a high level.

Now, I can get behind the "he may retire, should they win a 6th Lombardi" theory, especially with another season of wear and tear + some nudging from his family, but that's quite different than what you're suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes