PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scenario: A surprise trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
However after stealing Jimmy G the Niners would try to low-ball like a third.
I forget or I would credit the poster who said if BB trades Gronk to the Niners his plan to make the Niners Dominant again is almost complete.

I’m sure he did that right after calling Belichick “ Hitler,” which everyone obviously agrees with.

If Belichick made this trade it would be to make the most out of a bad situation, not to strengthen the Niners. The Niners would make it because it would radically improve the development of their 130 million dollar QB. And if the Niners didn’t offer their 1st you hang the phone up.

I think a trade involving Cooks would be more of a possibility for a "surprise" trade. From everything I can see it seems that WR is a weaker class for both the Draft and FA. This may be the best time to strike if they feel Cooks is not a long term answer at WR, especially considering his cap hit this year and cost to resign.
Not agreeing to a trade happening, but I do agree that I would be pretty damn surprised.

C’mon Reamer. You’re better than this. You know damn well that wouldn’t be the end of it. B.B. would trade down out of number 4 to some q.b. hungry team and somehow find a way to finish the day with 4 #1 picks, 4 #2 picks, 2 #3’s and and an extra 2019 #1 draft pick. So, don’t you go off and play the trade of a Gronk down like that.
For that coup I would drive Gronks party bus with Hightower and Gronk pick up a bunch of hoes to keep them occupied and Richards in the back knocked out if necessary I'd even throw a extra pick in to make sure they take Richards as well or no deal.

If the Patriots were looking to do this, they should have just traded Brady instead of Garoppolo.

Brady and Gronk are tied at the hip at this point.

You forgot to sign off.

- DW Toys
So let me get this strait. Many here are just laughing this off and are irritated at the suggestion of no Gronk. I am with you......but Here are options for you to ponder:
1-There is another person in the world not DW Toys who thinks that Gronk might not be as enthusiastic as he could be about football. Would he be correct?
2-Perhaps the hit (says the hardest he has ever) is cause for him to "pause" (is that better than scared?) and consider these other shiny objects like Acting and WWE (same thing)?
3-If it is contract like many have suggested, he is trying to shoot his way out of town ala Branch (see #4 and #6).
4-He is at war with the organization behind the scenes which many have suggested (call it Guerro, respect etc.).
5-Gronk is just clowning us
6-Is it a muse by Rosenhause to amp up new contract talks and force the Pats to give him top receiver money, rather than ......oh my gosh ....4th place money?

O.K. for the many very smart people on this forum.....pick one.

Does it not frustrate you that Rosenhause says there is no time table? Is he not lying through his teeth? March 12 is F/A start. The Draft is two months away. Should we keep Bennett who might be the best option over Eifert (who I like) or Jimmy Graham?

If I am BB do I want to know now?

As it is not a mystery, I prefer Trades and FA over unknown Draft picks. In this case, picks might be the best solution if options 1-6 are justified.

The man has a point.
DW Toys

With the possibility that Gronk is only threatening retirement because he wants a change of scenery or pay.
In this hypothetical teams would get in a bidding war over him.
He builds excitement he fills seats and he's the best redzone receiver in the NFL.
Teams would bid.

I think he wants one of those things much more than the other.

If the Patriots were looking to do this, they should have just traded Brady instead of Garoppolo.

Brady and Gronk are tied at the hip at this point.
If this is so true, where was Gronk when Brady was with Dola & The Squirrel in Montana gettin’ some quality bro time? Have those 3 outgrown Gronk? Is this the real reason for Gronk working with AG? Trying to keep tabs on Brady! Is this why Gronk no longer has fun?

I think a trade involving Cooks would be more of a possibility for a "surprise" trade. From everything I can see it seems that WR is a weaker class for both the Draft and FA. This may be the best time to strike if they feel Cooks is not a long term answer at WR, especially considering his cap hit this year and cost to resign.
Especially if they think Dorsett could provide ~80% of Cooks' production, but at 1/4 the cost.

Gronkowski will be dumped by Belichick for a late round draft pick (5th or 6th)
because he has become a pain in the neck.

Gronk isn't the utmost piece of the offense. We can still win without him and our offense wouldn't be significantly worse as long as the scheme gets changed. We won the SB without him. We won the AFC Conf. without him. He's the best TE in the league, but the offense right now is very flexible.

Gronk isn't the utmost piece of the offense. We can still win without him and our offense wouldn't be significantly worse as long as the scheme gets changed. We won the SB without him. We won the AFC Conf. without him. He's the best TE in the league, but the offense right now is very flexible.

This how I see it. I love Gronk, he’s a beast to deal with, but they are able to win in different ways. If he really wants out then trade him where he he won’t hurt you and get a high first, otherwise just wait to t out.

This how I see it. I love Gronk, he’s a beast to deal with, but they are able to win in different ways. If he really wants out then trade him where he he won’t hurt you and get a high first, otherwise just wait to t out.

No matter what it will be easier to win with him than without him. They're not getting a first round pick for him and even if, losing him for one is gambling with whatever SB runs TB has left in him.

No matter what it will be easier to win with him than without him. They're not getting a first round pick for him and even if, losing him for one is gambling with whatever SB runs TB has left in him.

I wouldn’t make a deal unless it was top fifteen to an NFC team. He’s the GOAT and he isn’t 30, if a team won’t give that then keep him and deal with it.

Ian, Woul;d hate to lose Gronk but there are options if he wants out.
He would look great in Orange and Brown (BB's gulag !) He would have fun as he would have Jan and Feb off to act and wrestle.
Just for laughs would you trade Gronk for the Browns #33 and #35 and Joe Thoma (tricep recovery)? You may loose Nate Solder. You can certainly get a couple more years out of Thomas (33) and Solder is no spring chicken at 30. Thomas might be an upgrade and he gets to compete in the play-offs and in Super Bowl contention. Thomas is at $13.5mm, Solder might top that in FA. Thomas' contract expires after this year so they can resign him or not.

Great one year rental that plugs a hole but could extend more.

Now would the Browns want Gronk? They can get more interest in any QB FA or Draft with Gronk in that uniform.

DW Toys

Last edited:

Gronk's worth a first round pick but he ain't going anywhere.

Gronk's worth a first round pick but he ain't going anywhere.

1. I don't see any team offering a first round pick for him. It's possible but I don't see it. First round pick plus an expensive contract to handle?

2. He's worth more than a first round pick to the Pats.

I could be wrong.

1. I don't see any team offering a first round pick for him. It's possible but I don't see it. First round pick plus an expensive contract to handle?

2. He's worth more than a first round pick to the Pats.

I could be wrong.

He's worth every penny. Best tight end in the league. Idk if a team would give up a first rounder for him but he's worth it. This ain't jimmy graham.

This discussion sucks. The longer this goes on, the more it’s starting to look like a pissing match, and that probably isn’t going to bode well for Gronk’s future in NE (if true).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes