PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB LI was the greatest NFL game of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolling the atlanta fans saying..

You didn't think the pats would lose to the team from hooterville didja?

Gotta love bbs two headed coin eh..lol

I always thought that Nicklaus winning the Masters at age 47 was a wonderful exciting spectacle to watch unfold. Realizing that that is an individual accomplishment versus team play, I was majorly depressed as Seattle hunkered down for what surely would be the death of the Pats as they ran the ball in. In a moment when I realized that Butler had the ball and that it was all over. I was so elated. This year the comeback was so amazing but as many of the forum attest, they never felt that it was completely out of our reach. Which shows fanaticism at its finest. I am looking forward to this season. We have made real improvements to a Super Bowl winning team. And I love to crush the opposition. No score over the other is too much. Go Pats. I liked the Macho man Ultimate Warrior saga. Well told and very easy to see in one's minds eye.

The Pats **** the bed for the first 37 minutes in SB 51, but as it has been said the score did not reflect what was happening on the field.

For 23 minutes the Pats played the best game they ever have.. coming back from 25 points down in the Superbowl is larger than life.

SB 36 may be the greatest game as losing was ingrained in my brain and never expected it to happen. Brady driving them down the field in the last series of plays was mesmerizing, all this against the "greatest show on turf"...

SB 49 & 51 were excellent as well.. so difficult to say what is best. I am lucky to be a Pats Fan..

SBLI... I don't know about best ever... but I have watched it more times than any other football game in my 56 years.
Agreed, I keep watching it. The highlights are fun too, hearing Sanu talk smack, and then have it backfire on him. In the end, he blamed Lady Gaga.

Kinda like the Seahawks talking smack in SB 49, "He has no heart, it's almost gone."

SB 51 was in fact the greatest super bowl of all time. It's already been given that title by those that make these decisions

There is no debate

1954 Bears-49ers

Just wondering if your calling it an upset because of the 3-0 lead, because the Red Sox were arguably better than the Yankees in 03 and 04

I am a big football history guy and Its hard for me to say there was a better game than the "The greatest game ever played"

My son recently gave me a book about the 1958 game called The Best Game Ever. I'm looking forward to reading it.

You probably remember the big call that Frnk Gifford complained about until the end. I saw a clip a few years ago where it showed pretty conclusively that he did get the first down. Oh well, tough luck. I was a Unitas fan anyway. :)

One reason I think SB 49 was better was that even though it wasn't an actual sudden death game it was a sudden death situation. With only seconds left either the Seahawks score and win or the Pats stop them and win. Thanks Malcolm.

I also liked SB 49 better because it was the Pats and they were being persecuted by the NYFL and the mediots at the time. I still get hot when I visualize that overpaid midget weatherman Al Roker mocking Bill Belichick during defamegate.

The SB 49 Pats were also the first team in history to come back from a 10 point deficit.

There's just so much more to like about The Real Best Game Ever.

I agree - -though Atlanta fans might have a different opinion on that ...
It's hard to call the first two quarters plus "terrible." They were awful for NE, but ATL had something to do with that.
Agree.

My definition of a terrible game is a game with way too many turnovers and penalties and generally bad play.

But, there were only two turnovers in the first half. Both on the Pats. You can argue that Brady threw a dumb pass, but the Blount fumble was forced.

Too many penalties? Only 13 were accepted in the entire game. I don't know where that stands in terms of SB averages, but in general the refs "let them play" and there were really no disputed calls. One can argue that the Pats got away with one that would have offset the critical Q4 Holding call on ATL, but that's part of the game.

"Generally bad play?" Belichick has said that he didn't think the Pats played poorly in the first half...they just failed to finish. And, sorry, but Atlanta's 28 points didn't just materialize out of thin air on the Score Board. They put them there.

The only things close to genuinely "bad" plays was Gostkowski's running into his own Onside kick and Brady's pick. The Holding Call against Mathews on Long was forced by Long. It wasn't a bad play by the Falcon, but a great rush by Long forcing a desperation penalty, as was one of INT calls on Butler deep in NE territory. He extended the Atlanta drive and gave the Pats a chance to make a play to stop a TD, which they didn't...

So, OK, you can split hairs and say the game was great for the Comeback, but you can't say the game itself was "terrible" until the end.

3-0 comebacks had happened before that, just not in baseball. I also think a series and a game can not be compared.

Very true but that wasn't an ordinary 3-0 comeback. If it was it would be quickly forgotten. The way it was done in THAT series in THAT moment against THAT team will never be forgotten. The 04 Sox and yes, even the 04 Yankees became immortal from that series. I appreciate the Yankees and George for recognizing the moment and letting the Sox celebrate at their stadium.

Nobody - even those who don't watch much baseball - will forget it. It was absolutely epic.

Last edited:
The only thing the BUF/HOU comeback had on the Super Bowl was that it was done by the Bills backup QB Reich. Kelly left the game with a shoulder injury.

Tough to picture JG off the bench cold and engineering a comeback like that although I'm sure it would have been possible.

Other than that... our comeback hands down.

Happy Super Bowl Comeback Day. :D

Beat me , lol

I was filling a form earlier in the morning so I looked at my watch to see the date and it was 3-28 , I immediately related that to the SB, was going to take a picture of the watch and post here but well now it's old news lol

I always thought that Nicklaus winning the Masters at age 47 was a wonderful exciting spectacle to watch unfold.

Yup. And Tom Watson winning the 2009 Open at almost 60 years old with a hip replacement would have been hard to beat as an individual accomplishment in any sport...

While the 04 ALCS was arguably the most epic MLB playoff win I'd say of all time plus what it meant for Boston... the Miracle on Ice transcended hockey, the Olympics and all sports and became something much more than that in our country. It was badly needed at a time of uncertainty and worry in America.

Something like that won't happen again imo.

Yeah, as much as I love Boston sports and even though I wasn't alive at the time of the Miracle on Ice to truly appreciate it, from what I know there is just no comparison.

A true David vs Goliath in which the underdog pulls through, and it's something the whole country can get behind (instead of just a region). Not only, that but the opponent was arguably the biggest rival given the undertone/remnants of the cold war.

Beat me , lol

I was filling a form earlier in the morning so I looked at my watch to see the date and it was 3-28 , I immediately related that to the SB, was going to take a picture of the watch and post here but well now it's old news lol

I didn't think of it. I checked my Twitter account and Pats Pulpit had it up.

No, it's not. The Miracle on Ice crushes the 2004 ALCS easily.

If I had Doc Brown's DeLorean and had the choice to go back in time to any sporting event and be in the stands it would be that one.

There really isn't a debate.

That wasn't a sporting event....that was the start of America making a comeback as the leader of the free world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News