PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saturday NFL Goodell missile

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have to believe that they are just sitting on more BS and will release it sometime Saturday to screw with us a little more.

BB & RK rightfully poked the bear, but that bear has teeth and isn't going to just lie down.

Hopefully BB is way on front of it this time (unlike the Tomase BS from the 18-1 season) and will tell them what's coming and to continue to ignore that noise, no matter what it is.

Goodell is lower than whale poop and has done more to tarnish the shield than any other person in the history of the NFL. Tagliabuenhas already come out and pretty much said so and there is no doubt that Rozelle and Bert Bell are spinning in their graves right now. What a horrible commissioner this piece of cramp turned out to be.

If the ball boy taking a piss is what they came out with, I'm not worried. Even on that one when the first report came out about the ballboy, I called this. If NFL had anything we would have already heard it. They won't even release what the PSI was at half time. They have nothing.

So why does Kraft come out in support of Goodell?

I have to believe that they are just sitting on more BS and will release it sometime Saturday to screw with us a little more.

BB & RK rightfully poked the bear, but that bear has teeth and isn't going to just lie down.

Hopefully BB is way on front of it this time (unlike the Tomase BS from the 18-1 season) and will tell them what's coming and to continue to ignore that noise, no matter what it is.

Goodell is lower than whale poop and has done more to tarnish the shield than any other person in the history of the NFL. Tagliabuenhas already come out and pretty much said so and there is no doubt that Rozelle and Bert Bell are spinning in their graves right now. What a horrible commissioner this piece of cramp turned out to be.
I think it will one of Bob Hohler,CHB,Bob Ryan,Jackie Mac or any of the local writers along with ESPN who are going to throw some timely mud on Satuday/Sunday

I highly doubt it. I said it in another thread and I'll say it here: if Goodell alienates Kraft, he won't be the commissioner for much longer.

If Goodell says a word about deflategate in the upcoming days, and if he were honest and intelligent, it would go something like this:

I am here to share with you our conclusions about the issue of football air pressure as it relates to the AFC championship game. I must tell you that a great many mistakes have been made throughout this process, and we must all learn from those mistakes.

First of all, we realize now that it was a serious oversight on our part to, in our rule book, specify a legal pressure range for an NFL football without also specifying a temperature for the testing to occur. As the rule was written, it was expected that footballs would only be tested at room temperature before a game. That is how the procedure has always been implemented. It is in fact the only sensible way to do such testing.

This is because, and this has been a science lesson for all of us, it is simply true that the air pressure inside a football, like the pressure of any gas in any container, varies with temperature. As temperature goes up the pressure goes up. As temperature goes down, the pressure goes down. A football at a certain pressure at room temperature will drop below that level if it is cooled, without having been tampered with. Its pressure will rise if it is heated, as well, without having been tampered with.

When our game officials decided to test footballs at halftime of the AFC championship game in response to a concern about the pressure of game balls being used, they unfortunately were not aware of this fundamental relationship of temperature and pressure. Applying the rule book’s 12.5-13.5 psi pressure range to a football that is not at room temperature is a test with no validity. In fact, with a very substantial temperature drop, of about 25 degrees or more, it would actually be physically impossible for any football that was in the 12.5-13.5 psi range at room temperature to still be within that range after the temperature drop.

Accordingly, the lower-than-specification readings for Patriots footballs at halftime of the AFC championship game are not indicative of tampering. We have concluded that there is no evidence of tampering with footballs in that game. Let me repeat, there is no evidence that any person connected with the Patriots, or any other person for that matter, ever tampered with the footballs after the pregame inspections.

Our officials have now been briefed about the science that is at the core of this issue. All future pressure testing will be done only at room temperature. All tested footballs will be kept by league officials rather than turned over to team personnel, and the footballs will be brought to the field by the league officials shortly before the start of the game. This change in procedure is not because tampering has occurred here, once again, but it is an added fail-safe measure to limit the potential for wrongdoing. We will also discuss in our competition committee if the current policy of using differing sets of game balls for each team should continue.

It is most unfortunate that our game officials made such serious errors in applying the pressure rules, it is also unfortunate that rule was so inadequately described in our rule book, and it is especially unfortunate that we were not able to realize the existence of these errors in a timely manner. The consequence of these failings on our part caused many people to jump to unsupported conclusions, including pointing fingers at the Patriots organization. This was unwarranted. Many irresponsible persons relied upon invalid or incorrect information to even call certain individuals within the Patriots organization, including Tom Brady and Bill Belichick specifically, liars and cheaters. Such charges were totally unfounded, and to the extent that our mistakes fed this media frenzy and a rush to judgement, we apologize to the entire Patriots organization.

I will be happy to take any questions.

If Goodell says a word about deflategate in the upcoming days, and if he were honest and intelligent, it would go something like this:

I am here to share with you our conclusions about the issue of football air pressure as it relates to the AFC championship game. I must tell you that a great many mistakes have been made throughout this process, and we must all learn from those mistakes.

First of all, we realize now that it was a serious oversight on our part to, in our rule book, specify a legal pressure range for an NFL football without also specifying a temperature for the testing to occur. As the rule was written, it was expected that footballs would only be tested at room temperature before a game. That is how the procedure has always been implemented. It is in fact the only sensible way to do such testing.

This is because, and this has been a science lesson for all of us, it is simply true that the air pressure inside a football, like the pressure of any gas in any container, varies with temperature. As temperature goes up the pressure goes up. As temperature goes down, the pressure goes down. A football at a certain pressure at room temperature will drop below that level if it is cooled, without having been tampered with. Its pressure will rise if it is heated, as well, without having been tampered with.

When our game officials decided to test footballs at halftime of the AFC championship game in response to a concern about the pressure of game balls being used, they unfortunately were not aware of this fundamental relationship of temperature and pressure. Applying the rule book’s 12.5-13.5 psi pressure range to a football that is not at room temperature is a test with no validity. In fact, with a very substantial temperature drop, of about 25 degrees or more, it would actually be physically impossible for any football that was in the 12.5-13.5 psi range at room temperature to still be within that range after the temperature drop.

Accordingly, the lower-than-specification readings for Patriots footballs at halftime of the AFC championship game are not indicative of tampering. We have concluded that there is no evidence of tampering with footballs in that game. Let me repeat, there is no evidence that any person connected with the Patriots, or any other person for that matter, ever tampered with the footballs after the pregame inspections.

Our officials have now been briefed about the science that is at the core of this issue. All future pressure testing will be done only at room temperature. All tested footballs will be kept by league officials rather than turned over to team personnel, and the footballs will be brought to the field by the league officials shortly before the start of the game. This change in procedure is not because tampering has occurred here, once again, but it is an added fail-safe measure to limit the potential for wrongdoing. We will also discuss in our competition committee if the current policy of using differing sets of game balls for each team should continue.

It is most unfortunate that our game officials made such serious errors in applying the pressure rules, it is also unfortunate that rule was so inadequately described in our rule book, and it is especially unfortunate that we were not able to realize the existence of these errors in a timely manner. The consequence of these failings on our part caused many people to jump to unsupported conclusions, including pointing fingers at the Patriots organization. This was unwarranted. Many irresponsible persons relied upon invalid or incorrect information to even call certain individuals within the Patriots organization, including Tom Brady and Bill Belichick specifically, liars and cheaters. Such charges were totally unfounded, and to the extent that our mistakes fed this media frenzy and a rush to judgement, we apologize to the entire Patriots organization.

is this the same rational Roger Goodell we have as commish?

Try to keep up

That is SO last week!
Answer the question. When it was obvious to everybody how bad Goodell was and what a liar and disaster for the NFL, why did Kraft ignore all that and heap praise and support for Goodell? I think since last week Kraft, who was silent too long while the team was flogged by the media, heard the rumblings from the fans about his silence and finally spoke up but only after seeing the way the wind was blowing and still left himself an out by saying apologize IF you don't find any wrongdoing..

I highly doubt it. I said it in another thread and I'll say it here: if Goodell alienates Kraft, he won't be the commissioner for much longer.
Yep - Kraft is amongst the most powerful, if not the most powerful of the ownership group of 32 that employs Goodell. Period. If he had something explicit to show in terms of NE "cheating", it would already be out there, and Kraft never would have buried the league in public on the investigation if there was any doubt. Why RG has allowed the NFL offices to look so indecisive over its "evidence" and powerless over the media in terms of how this story has spiraled for 10 days is another question. Both questions - Patriots investigation and control of the office - are relevant to his standing as commissioner, which doesn't look strong either way. But if he tried to burn the Patriots with any kind of additional announcement over this weekend then not only would he make the league he is in charge of look ridiculous on it's biggest day, he'd also be sleeping with the fishes.

Have you ever thought about taking a job as a speech writer? That was extremly well done and if Gotohell had a shred of intelligence or decency that is word for word exactly what he should say to put the whole stupid thing to bed. That said I think I would have a heart attack and die of shock if he said anything even remotely close to that.

Answer the question. When it was obvious to everybody how bad Goodell was and what a liar and disaster for the NFL, why did Kraft ignore all that and heap praise and support for Goodell? I think since last week Kraft, who was silent too long while the team was flogged by the media, heard the rumblings from the fans about his silence and finally spoke up but only after seeing the way the wind was blowing and still left himself an out by saying apologize IF you don't find any wrongdoing..
Because he makes the owners money. That's his real job. Sherman keeps talking about "conflict of interest" between the Commish and Kraft but Goodell's not required to be a neutral party. The owners are his bosses and he works for them. And he's made them a lot of money, but he's destroyed the integrity of the league and the brand.

Last edited:

Fine speech. From what alternate universe are we going to find "honest and intelligent Goodell" and will he be sporting a goatee?

He'll be running the gift shop selling Patriots 4-time champ t-shirts just like he said he would in uncle bob's leaked video.

I'm more concerned about the people that work for Goodell who have been leaking information to the media prior to the investigation or review being done. The VP of Operations seems hell bent on sticking it to Belichick over a grudge from when he snubbed the Jets HC offer.

That's assuming the owners are united and I'm not sure they are at this point. There might be factions jockeying for power aimed at taking the Patriots down with R. Stokoe Goodell as trigger man -- Colts, Ravens, Jets and whomever. It seems there's some strange stuff going down behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots