PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints owner considering making Sean Payton highest-paid coach in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Sources: Saints owner considering making Sean Payton highest-paid coach in NFL - CBSSports.com

The answer might be a simple one. Saints owner Tom Benson is strongly considering making Payton the highest-paid coach in football, according to league sources.

Payton wants to be the highest-paid, and Benson might be willing to accomodate him. Patriots coach Bill Belichick is the NFL's highest paid coach, checking in at a reported $7.5 million per year.

Benson, I'm told, has long thought of Payton as the best coach in football. It was Payton, of course, who made the Saints one of the most unlikely champions in all of sports. Benson has never forgotten what Payton did and wants to reward him for that, I'm told.

Benson also feels strongly that the Saints' slow start to the season (the team is performing better now) isn't as much about Bountygate as it is about not having Payton for the season.

My thinking is that Payton may choose Dallas if he gets an offer from the cowboys,even if they offer less than the Saints

So, Sean Payton is going to give up another shot w/ Drew Brees for....Tony Romo?

Maybe Jerry Jones changes some stuff there to make Payton happy....like fire himself from the GM position.............

Sean Payton is a great head coach. If I were the Saints I'd do everything possible to keep him there.

Some rumors are just pointless, butget blown out of proportion just for the potential of a big story....

Remember all those rumors, around 2006-ish, about Bill Belichick wanting to go coach the New York Giants? Yeah...

Lurie is another guy who may unload cash offer to Payton

The Eagles are a QB and HC away from being an Elite team,their defense has well underperformed this year with a good amount of talent they have and its a shame of the weapons they have on offense to not be a contender.

Payton gets them in the playoffs in his first season,should he head to Philly

Makes sense. It's just like free agent players. The highest paid player at a position is more dependent on how recently that player was signed than how good the player actually is.

Philly would make total sense. The owners gave Andy Reid 14 years! Talk about job security.

He doesn't have a choice. He'll pay what Payton wants. On the other hand, why would Payton want more than he already signed up for last year?

Lurie is another guy who may unload cash offer to Payton

The Eagles are a QB and HC away from being an Elite team,their defense has well underperformed this year with a good amount of talent they have and its a shame of the weapons they have on offense to not be a contender.

Payton gets them in the playoffs in his first season,should he head to Philly

Good points Pat,and Ive thought of this a tad. Payton is not afraid of overly crazy fans like us, Philly is like that, only with the huge negative when you mess up. But the lure of giving another winless franchise might actually appeal to his ego. I am sure he knows if he pulled it off, its almost instant HOF.

Plus, he loves our GM Loomis, had him in his contract, and Philly is one of the few places that may let them work together.

I only have 1 huge problem with Philly and thats QB. Vick would be gone as soon as he got there, and to show how he plans ahead, he decided to try for HC when he heard about Brees. Way before Brees was ever looking and still injured. SP wanted him from the get go, and planned everything around him.

I think the real question is where is the QB thats going to do his complicated plays and schemes by heart with no wrist huggy. Doesn't have to have the best arm, tall, or a physical specimen, but he has to have intelligence , football smarts, good in the pocket, and work overtime.

I think colt McCoy is kind of a Brees clone. He might be able to do it with the right coach, but I dont think SP is going near a team unless he has that solved. Hes good enough to build the rest later, if he has to is my humble opinion.

and Im serious SP would go bat ***** if a QB didn't get or execute his complicated and change on a dime offense consistently. He wants to win, gets pissed easily by stupid mistakes, and in it for more than the money.

Last edited:
QB is the easy problem in Philly.. They might end up in range of drafting OR trade Vick ( Yes i think other team's would be crazy and take him )

But, They also need some OL help, few piece's on Def - But in general, Philly can be fixed in a year or 2. Saints might need a new Def and loosing 2 round pick again again ain't helping on it.

it takes a good QB and a good coach to be a team that is in the playoffs every year we know this as pats fans...if Peyton goes on to coach the cowboys bress will still throw for 5000 yards but the saints will be a 8-8 team and romo will still throw INT's with peyton calling the plays, my point is bress and peyton need each other if they want to win

Maybe Jerry Jones changes some stuff there to make Payton happy....like fire himself from the GM position.............

Jerry Jones is a complete and utter control freak. He'll never change anything, much less fire himself from the GM position. As long as he's alive, the Cowboys will always underperform unless they catch lightning in a bottle at the quarterback position.

As for Payton, he's a good coach and an excellent offensive mind. But he's not familiar enough with the defensive side of the ball, IMO, to be the highest paid coach in the league. BB cut his teeth on defense and special teams, but the team since 2006 (really) shows that he learned enough about the offensive side of the ball to not only be the best coach in the league, but to also be the highest paid. But eh, it's not my team. It's Benson's.

Considering Payton had a stipulation that if Loomis went payton could cancel the rest of his deal, I dont see payton going anywhere that there is a GM(Jerry Jones) he doesn't like.

Philly would make total sense. The owners gave Andy Reid 14 years! Talk about job security.

Andy was a good coach most of those fourteen years. The reason why fans wanted to jettison him was because he could never win the Superbowl. He'd always get them division titles and playoff apperances but always came up short in the big game.

Reid has now had, at least, two bad season consecatively. This season after having a strong start and now looking rather pathetic. Reid will be gone after this season but Payton isn't going there.

If Payton does leave New Orleans it might be because of the mess caused by Bounty Gate. Without draft picks its going to be difficult to keep the franchise looking good. If Jerry Jones got his stuff together and let Payton bring in Loomis and sign checks Sean would be more inclined to go there. Because Jerry won't theres no way SP would go to Big D. Even if he did the Cowboys would still suck.

Would make sense. Coach salaries don't count against the cap and I'm sure he's got plenty money to afford giving Payton that kinda $$. Gotta do what you gotta do to keep him in town or you go back to being the Aints

I think Reid might do better with a change of scenery. Although he never won the big game eagles were deep in the playoffs in most years. Browns, Chiefs, and Panthers might want to give him a look. Maybe....Dallas?

Last edited:
it takes a good QB and a good coach to be a team that is in the playoffs every year we know this as pats fans...if Peyton goes on to coach the cowboys bress will still throw for 5000 yards but the saints will be a 8-8 team and romo will still throw INT's with peyton calling the plays, my point is bress and peyton need each other if they want to win

While i agree with what you say, i should point that with the money they are paying Brees they are pretty handicapped in the salary cap department for the next few years and that means they may not seem as an attractive option for free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back