PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints fans not afraid of Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the Saint's fans aren't afraid of the Patriots, they're not the one's that are playing them. :p

The Patriots are more physical than the Saints. That's the key difference. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see New England control this game from start to finish.

The Saints hit hard, they rush the quarterback, they cover receivers and GET interceptions. If Brady throws alot, he will be intercepted. Not downplaying the Patriots at all, but, the reality is that the Saints are playing the game right. If anyone could ever understand and see it, it would be those on this board. You know your Patriots and what they did a couple of years ago. Not by much, but, we are beating our opponents even more decisively than any team in NFL history. You could say I'm bragging, but, the bottom line is I'm really stating facts here. Trust---we're pretty shocked and amazed down here, as well. But, we are enjoying this ride. Could the Saints lose? Of course. But, are they playing some of the best NFL football ever? Yeah--they really are and it is even blowing us away. But, hey, we're having fun. Just watch. You've seen highlights and some of you have likely watched games, but you just watch this team on Monday night and you are going to see a powerhouse team that gets better as the game progresses....they'll be better in the second quarter than the first, better in the third than the second and in the fourth...all season, they have dominated in an unreal fashion. I'm not downplaying the Patriots, but, I am complimenting the Saints. Really---we have many NFL seasons go by where we don't see such decisive victories by a team. This is pretty rare.

I was reading the Saints messageboard,they think Brady is a protected wimp.I do not understand where people think Brady gets any more calls than any other qb. For such a great qb Brady gets little respect from other team fans. He has worked for everything he has.

Jealousy and anti-Brady bias. They call it "The Brady Rule", but tools that espouse that point of view fail to realize that the Pats were the least penalized team in 2008, when Brady was out, and the amount of penalties has increased by 47% percent this year; one of the largest year over year increases among all NFL teams.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Penalties per Game on TeamRankings.com

Here's the real kicker. New England's opponents are among the least penalized of all teams, with only Denver and Jacksonville's opponents being penalized less.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Opponent Penalties per Game on TeamRankings.com

And for what it's worth, Trent Edwards has drawn just as many RTP flags as Brady has this year, and Edwards has played far fewer snaps where he has dropped back to pass. Ironically, two of Edwards' three RTP penalties were called on Patriots. But when it comes to talking out of your ass, it seems most NFL fans are experts. Why bother with the facts when idiotic rants and hyperbole feel better? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Haha, one guy in the thread was like, "well they may have the best qb, best OL, best coach, best WRs, great defense, but we'll still win by double digits."

I can't wait for this game. It is the 2007 Patriots vs. the 2009 Patriots

No! As much as the media puts up their "points scored" they completely ommit the insane amount of TD's scored by their defense! In 2007 it was our offense scoring!

The only thing the Saints have in common with the 07 pats is that they are 10 and 0 after playing 10 games!!!!

I just was reading a Saints board and a majority (i'm suprised I can say that with confidence) believe the Saints will put up 40+ and the Pats wont put up more then 27.

As a Vikings fan I will make a bold statement. Sorry to the Saints but as of now the Vikings are the best team in the league! POW!

As a Vikings fan I will make a bold statement. Sorry to the Saints but as of now the Vikings are the best team in the league! POW!

What's scary about the Vikings is how they can kill you with ST. The only thing that could mitigate all of this is Favre getting hurt and deteriorating down the stretch like he did last year. It wasn't until Week 13 that it started to happen last year.

Why should they be afraid when on paper Saints match up so well? Not to mention in our house and being 10-0.

WhoDat300.gif

Why should they be afraid when on paper Saints match up so well? Not to mention in our house and being 10-0.
I'm a Pats fan who is traveling to the game from NE, but if I were the Saints and/or you, I wouldn't be afraid either. Should be a great game. Good luck.

Until we beat a markee team on the road, we are not there yet....

If Brady throws alot, he will be intercepted. Not downplaying the Patriots at all, but, the reality is that the Saints are playing the game right. If anyone could ever understand and see it, it would be those on this board.
1. If Brady throws a lot he will be intercepted? There's no correlation between pass attempts and interceptions thrown. None.

2. Just how exactly is game played right? There's no such thing. What you say right may differ from what I say is right. The Saints are playing up to their capabilities and teams can't match them for 60 minutes to this point. I'll watch in earnest when 2 of 3 or heaven forbid 3 of 3 Saints units don't perform on the one day.

3. I see and appreciate what the Saints are doing, as we had the benefit of following the 2007 season.

4. This should be a cracking game of which healthy players returning to the teams are of vital importance.

Hey guys and gals...New Orleans here. Have a great deal of respect for your team. With that said, I absolutely think that the Saints turned "back on," this past week in spite of the fact that we played Tampa. We played three games in a row pretty poorly and still won. The Saints from the earlier part of this season re-arrived last week and I expect this to continue down the stretch. I'm confident. Is New England a test--obviously, it is. But, as a Saints fan and as an NFL fan, I truly recommend that you all approach this game with the utmost of respect, and understand, it is highly likely that the Saints will win and win big. Nothing against your team--truly, but, we have pretty much played incredible football this season and I saw almost perfect football last week, again, in spite of the previous three weeks against Tampa. Monday night in the Dome....expect it to be fierce. It's been rare that I could ever say that about my Saints, but, this isn't the Saints we have known ever. Watch.

Hey buddy. Glad to have you on board, but with all due respect you're an idiot if you think beating Tampa means your team is on track and they are playing at a level you have never seen before. Apparently, you haven't been watching football for at least the past 10 years. It's week 12 and about the time when the contenders start picking it up and the pretenders put their tails between their legs. I believe this game will be a slugfest from the opening kickoff till the end. The only way it's a blowout, which I highly doubt, will be NE crushing you guys. In the end I see NE winning by less than 7.

my .02

Brees- very quick reads, very quick release. his quick outs, screen sets, pocket presence, and adjustments at the LOS are very bradyesque. His problems come from his size. He's very prone to blocked passes and deflections. a lot of his INTs come from deflections. IMO, shrinking the pocket (not necissarily sacks) is key here.

RBs- Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas will see 10 - 14 touches each. the Saints never overwork either one, so there are always fresh legs. Bell loves to lower his head and initiate contact. I see one of the Brandons fixing that quick.

Bush- should play. despite the overhype, you must hawk him. He dances way to much, and gets tackled by the ankle. but in open space he can be deadly. BB's too smart to give him that open space, so I think he'll be neutralized.

TE's- Dave Thomas has been coming on strong seeing a lot of reps recently. Shocky is healthy. This is a very scary part of the Saints Off. With Lance Moore out (a poor man's Welker...led the team in rec's last year), Thomas and shockey have been the "over the middle" guys, and they seem to show up everywhere.

WR's- Colsten had a good game last week, but has been inconsistent recently. He's dropping passes and dissappearing for long stretches. I'm sure BB can figure out what other teams are doing to him. If he gets hot though, he has scary good hands and makes crazy circus catches ala Moss (not nearly as fast though). Devery Henderson and Robert Meachum are legit speedy longball threats. The have to be respected.

OL- All pro left tackle Jamal Brown is on the IR. Bushrod and Strief are the guys to beat to make life hell for Brees. Both have been needing help in protection. Stinchcomb on the right side is ok, but he's known to turnstyle a few here and there. Middle of the line is pretty solid. Sacks and pressures almost always come from the outside. I think Big Vince will handle them though.

DT- Sedrick Ellis should be back this week. he's the big run stuffer up the middle. Saints D has been absolutely bludgeoned up the middle by RBs in recent weeks. A steady diet of eLMo and Law Firm will keep the Saints O off the field.

DE- Charles Grant and Will Smith are paid as the best players on this D (i think that's open to debate). The Saints count on them for pressure so they can rush only 4. Smith is having a good year, but he's not Freeney. Grant shows up from time to time but I feel is overrated.

LB- Vilma's the big chief here and seems to enjoy the 4-3 a lot more than his Jet days. He's no Mayo, but a heck of a playmaker. Shanle and Fujita are serviceable if uninspiring.

CB- Porter is out, and Greer is questionable. Jenkins is a stud in the making, but still has very few reps under his belt. Brady should abuse these corners.

S- Harper is having a career year in this D. One of the big playmakers for this D. Sharper is playing good as well, but has had to play back to protect the rookie CB.

Keys to the game -

don't abandon the run. Saints D is opportunistic, but is different when smacked in the face. Ask DeAngelo Williams, Michael Turner and Stephen Jackson. Brady is more than capable of beating the Saints throwing it 50 times, but why? Keep the Saints Offense off the field

Abuse the DBs. they'll have help over the top, but these guys can't cover Moss. the more panic they can put into the Secondary, the less corner and safety blitzes you'll see (something they do a lot).

pressure the left side. The LTs of the Saints are pedestrian. Strief got burnt 3 times last week from a DE on the bucs that was almost inactive.

Get big at the pocket. Sacks are tough on Brees, but blocked and tipped passes are common. He gets really aggrivated.

Final score Pats 34 - Saints 21:)

Last edited:
The Saints shouldn't be afraid of the Patriots.

Well, the facts say they shouldn't be, I guess. We haven't won a game on the road. In addition, no team we've beaten this season has a record above .500 this morning.

Anyway, no trash talk from me. If we lose, then we won't have beaten a quality team all season (Ravens and Falcons are on nobody's short list to be in Miami) and we will have to think about what that might mean.

This game is very important for the Saints as a statement. They're playing the team that along with the Colts and Steelers has dominated the League this decade (going to five Conference Championship Games, four Super Bowls and winning three Rings themselves in eight seasons) in front of a national audience. It's getting to be "now or never" time for Drew Brees, who is in his ninth year in the League and turns 31 in January, just one year younger than Brady. So, I look for him to bring his "A+" game. If they win Monday, they will feel they've earned the right to be spoken of in the same breath as the Colts, Pats and Steelers.

These are the kind of games the Pats have gotten up for in the past. Also, Pats fans have fond memories of the last time this team went to the Superdome to take on the greatest offense on the planet.

Should be a good game.

my .02

don't abandon the run. Saints D is opportunistic, but is different when smacked in the face. Ask DeAngelo Williams, Michael Turner and Stephen Jackson. Brady is more than capable of beating the Saints throwing it 50 times, but why? Keep the Saints Offense off the field

Your .02 is worth a lot more! Very good report.
How is it that you know this team so well?

Anyway, about PATs running the ball. I really hope they can. if they can't
then short dink and dunk passes. PATs need to win the TOP stat. IMO.
Keep Brees on the side line. Great idea.

On Colston( not Colsten), he dropped a number of passes. From something
I read the only WR to drop more passes is TO.
The one thing the stat doesn't give is percentage of dropped passes which
would be more meaningful.
A player dropping 4 of 10 catch-able passes is far worst
than one that drops 6 of 40. Where Colston fits here I do not know.

How is it that you know this team so well?

Originally from Hull, Mass. I've lived in New Orleans for almost 20 years now. I like watching them, except when they play the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes