Sad Jete news of a different kind, transcending football

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Sad news. All death is tragic but accidents can be hard to process because they're so sudden. I hope his family finds peace.

Reminds me of **** Rehbein's sudden passing during training camp in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Rehbein

Thats terrible. Best wishes to his friends and family.

It was originally reported as a motorcycle accident in another thread...This might be even more unfortunate because Knapp was not engaging in what would be considered risky behavior...RIP.

It was originally reported as a motorcycle accident in another thread...This might be even more unfortunate because Knapp was not engaging in what would be considered risky behavior...RIP.

I cycle when I'm in the U.S. but the accident figures for bike deaths are just terrible.

20150224_Cyclists_Fo.jpeg

This breaks my heart. I'm so sorry for his family.

Don't know the details here. But I always worry about my friends who cycle / jog on the shoulder of the road. And they always push back, well we have a right to be safe here, it's the drivers who need to be careful. And yeah, you're obviously right, but it's a million miles from the reality that practically every single day, I see people texting / surfing / whatever on their phones while driving.

Very sad for his family and the Jets organization. My friends were on their motorcycles yesterday returning home when a driver of a car, I guess didn't see them or look not sure and t-boned one of them. He is going to be alright, some bad scrapes and bruises but people need to pay attention. Look twice.

Very sad for his family and the Jets organization. My friends were on their motorcycles yesterday returning home when a driver of a car, I guess didn't see them or look not sure and t-boned one of them. He is going to be alright, some bad scrapes and bruises but people need to pay attention. Look twice.

Sometimes bikes and motorcycles really are hard to see. A while back I was turning left from a stop onto a road and the early morning shadows were playing tricks to where I almost didn't spot a motorcycle zooming up from the opposite direction. Folks on bikes and motorcycles just need to assume they're invisible to cars/trucks.

Don't know the details here. But I always worry about my friends who cycle / jog on the shoulder of the road. And they always push back, well we have a right to be safe here, it's the drivers who need to be careful. And yeah, you're obviously right, but it's a million miles from the reality that practically every single day, I see people texting / surfing / whatever on their phones while driving.
Exactly. Pretty cold comfort for someone to have “I had the right of way” on their tombstone.

Sometimes bikes and motorcycles really are hard to see. A while back I was turning left from a stop onto a road and the early morning shadows were playing tricks to where I almost didn't spot a motorcycle zooming up from the opposite direction. Folks on bikes and motorcycles just need to assume they're invisible to cars/trucks.

@Tunescribe I was wondering how this would get treated here and am glad you did it this way.

I ride a road bike as my primary means of exercise. Yes, we road bikers need to assume that we aren't seen and that car drivers are out to kill us. And, by far the safest way to cycle in the road is in the middle of the lane. Trying to give way to cars by squeezing over to the shoulder is be far more dangerous.

The primary reason the US is so dangerous for cyclists is the dominance of car culture and speed entitlements.

The primary reason the US is so dangerous for cyclists is the dominance of car culture
I’m always amazed how many people actually ride bikes in Manhattan. And seeing anyone ride a bike on any kind of busy street is always surprising to me, just because it seems so dangerous. I remember I was in Beijing a few years ago and I was shocked at the billions of bicycles that were over there, it’s just so different in other places. I realize China isn’t representative other countries but you know what I mean

I’m always amazed how many people actually ride bikes in Manhattan. And seeing anyone ride a bike on any kind of busy street is always surprising to me, just because it seems so dangerous. I remember I was in Beijing a few years ago and I was shocked at the billions of bicycles that were over there, it’s just so different in other places. I realize China isn’t representative other countries but you know what I mean

Manhattan cycling is ok for the locals. I'd never do it as a stranger.
Its one thing to have people distracted by phones. Its another when some significant portion of them are Jets fans.

It is sad, especially if he was following all the safety precautions. Been to the Netherlands and have never seen so many bicycles in my life. I can understand the high death rate due the high amount of usage on that graph.

Not to take away from bicyclists because most of them follow the rules just like most autodrivers do. I’m totally fine sharing the road with them and giving them their distance. Should be a law in every state to give them the 4 ft. But I will tell you, I almost get road rage watching the ones that blow through stop signs and red lights like the rules just don’t apply to them. Don’t get me started on the lawyers ready to defend and pursue damages even when their client was very much in the wrong. For the most part I have a lot of respect for the bicycle community that keeps the emmisions off the grid and are staying fit. I do think the safety is a local and state issue as you can see sone cities and towns are set up very nice for bikers while some are just death traps.

Sad news and agree on the condolences. You guys who think about this road safety stuff, there's a movement right now that goes past vilifying the drunk driver (though I have neither patience nor sympathy for them, and it is true that cracking down on impairment has to be an ongoing thing.) Now they're looking at solving vulnerable road user deaths by thinking in system safety terms. (In road safety in the U.S., I think they use the term "safe systems approach.") It doesn't let "bad guys" off the hook but it's in addition to looking for bad guys. Check it out. It makes sense. I wont say more because people will make it political but it's about saving lives. The connection is that it's the bicyclists and pedestrians who are most at risk when they are involved in a crash... we've made cars fortresses but people outside the car are at the drivers' mercy.

It is sad, especially if he was following all the safety precautions. Been to the Netherlands and have never seen so many bicycles in my life. I can understand the high death rate due the high amount of usage on that graph.

Not to take away from bicyclists because most of them follow the rules just like most autodrivers do. I’m totally fine sharing the road with them and giving them their distance. Should be a law in every state to give them the 4 ft. But I will tell you, I almost get road rage watching the ones that blow through stop signs and red lights like the rules just don’t apply to them. Don’t get me started on the lawyers ready to defend and pursue damages even when their client was very much in the wrong. For the most part I have a lot of respect for the bicycle community that keeps the emmisions off the grid and are staying fit. I do think the safety is a local and state issue as you can see sone cities and towns are set up very nice for bikers while some are just death traps.
I think the graph showed that the Netherlands has very high bicycle utilization and a very low death rate. The point is that it's the opposite of what you'd think. If bikes are greatly outnumbered, they get "picked off." If there are a zillion of them out on the road you just throw up your hands and resign yourself to going slow as needed, looking out for them, and so on. I getcha on the "scofflaws." Back when the herds of bicycle messengers yellowed the asphalt plains of our cities, before people realized that you could sign PDFs, I remember some harrowing commutes.

You make a good point. Some bicyclists -- primarily the competitive guys out on training runs in groups -- can act downright entitled and rude. I've exchanged words with them on a couple occasions.

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back