PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running game

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ SBLIII you can defend Sony all you want but some of our Struggles running the Rock is on him. If White and Burkhead gets more carries on early Downs from now on I am fine with that the Defense respects them more and that's a fact. They aren't pounders but we have to go with who works.

@ SBLIII you can defend Sony all you want but some of our Struggles running the Rock is on him. If White and Burkhead gets more carries on early Downs from now on I am fine with that the Defense respects them more and that's a fact. They aren't pounders but we have to go with who works.

If you want to rely on White and Burkhead running the football on 1st down you are in for a letdown if you think it will get any better

Michel ain't a 196lbs either he's bulked up some use a stiff arm or improve his lateral steps. He has learn to adjust to how this OLine Blocks.

There are missed tackles and then there are missed tackles. Michel is facing multiple guys with nowhere to go.

If you want to rely on White and Burkhead running the football on 1st down you are in for a letdown if you think it will get any better

They also have Damien Harris who is more of a pounder and look comfortable catching the Football too. Good thing we play three scrub Teams in a row so Sony should iron out his issues then hopefully.

There are missed tackles and then there are missed tackles. Michel is facing multiple guys with nowhere to go.

That's more so on our TE position Ryan Izzo:rolleyes: have been absolutely pathetic hopefully Watson solves some of that. Also Mason needs to start playing like a player who got a recent extension. I am not entirely dumping on Sony but he has to do his part.

Last edited:
It will get better and Sony will get better. But it starts with the OL and especially with Cannon and Mason. They will eventually be competent and we will average our 4 yard clip again. It won't be as good as last year but as time goes on the running game should not be the big liability it is now.
Mostly Mason. Cannon I can almost let slide since he's gutting through an injury, but Mason has had the biggest regression from one year to the next, that I can remember.

on every single play?

Mason played better when he had Andrews on one side, and a healthy Cannon on the other, with perhaps a good blocking TE (or FB) on the right side also. This shouldn't be a surprise.
=====
This isn't rocket science. We miss the run blocking of Develin and Gronk.

Mostly Mason. Cannon I can almost let slide since he's gutting through an injury, but Mason has had the biggest regression from one year to the next, that I can remember.

on every single play?

He had some pretty good runs in there, I think I only saw 1 or 2 runs where he was a tad indecisive, but it was because there was nowhere to go.

Mason played better when he had Andrews on one side, and a healthy Cannon on the other, with perhaps a good blocking TE (or FB) on the right side also. This shouldn't be a surprise.
=====
This isn't rocket science. We miss the run blocking of Develin and Gronk.
Beddard said that he noticed Mason was limping a bit on Friday. The TE fail is a big issue, Izzo is not getting the job done.

Beddard said that he noticed Mason was limping a bit on Friday. The TE fail is a big issue, Izzo is not getting the job done.

Really hoping Izzo is the one who's released to accommodate Ben Watson. IF our next TE just gets in the way that maybe enough to improve our running game. Izzo wasn't even decent blocking air he looked overmatched. :rolleyes:

I think it’s time we make a change in the backfield, using a little creativity and science. I’ve done the analysis and run the numbers, and I think the issue we have with Sony Michel is not solely his running style nor the changes to the o-line per se, but the combination of the two. When you look at the line burst angles and leverage applied by each of the interior linemen, you’ll notice that they’ve changed by 6.6 degrees off center (on average) for each guy. This has resulted in a proportionate decrease in the closing angles and kinetic reach radius of the opposing defensive linemen and linebackers. The result has been a harmonization of the mean contact plain with the center-of-gravity axis based on Sony’s running gate. It has put him a tremendous disadvantage vis-à-vis avoiding and breaking tacklers.

I know this may seem unorthodox, but I was able to obtain the game (and Friday practice tapes) from TeamUSA rugby and analyze the center-of-gravity axis (adjusted for sympathetic torso wobble) on short runs for the entire (then) USA rugby team and speed to acceleration coefficients. As I expected, Nate Ebner’s waggle-wave and cut-back angles are nearly perfect offset (and foil) to the changed burst angles and leverage from demonstrated from the current o-line.

I know he’s had some injuries, but Ebner could be the short-term solution to our running game woes until the line gets it together. Let’s give him a chance. The numbers add up and we need to do something.

Mason and Karras can do better. Must do better.

Why haven’t we looked at a better option at FB? As Captain Stone has rightly said there are options out there.

And Izzo hasn’t gotten the job done blocking. He has the lowest grade in the NFL.

Why we didn’t draft TE Thomas Sweeney out of Boston College who was taken in the seventh round? CB Ken Webster? Really? The Dolphins thank us.

1) If Izzo is still on the team next week, we will wonder what set of pictures he has on Kraft. Izzo is indeed one of the worst in the entire league.

2) With regard to FB, it isn't clear that we should have one. Very few teams do. Devein is a special player. It is definitely works to have a fullback, if his name is Develin. I see no reason for Jakob to be on the 53.

Why we didn’t draft TE Thomas Sweeney out of Boston College who was taken in the seventh round? CB Ken Webster? Really? The Dolphins thank us.
To be fair, Sweeney (at #228) was already taken by the time the pick used to select Webster arrived (at #252)...Even the two other 7th-rounders (#s 239 & 246) that Bill had tossed-aside earlier in the day would not have reached him...So the lowest pick available to draft Sweeney would've been way back at #163.

Last edited:
It’s clear the loss of Develin can’t be overlooked. And better TE blocking is a must.

That’s the biggest coaching blunder going into the season—not having an average TE available to the team during Watson’s absence.

Second might be having Gost do kickoffs with a nagging injury.

Can Shaq Mason regain his edge as a powerful run blocker?

I’m wondering if we overpaid with Mason.

Shaq Mason’s contract details.

Five years at up to $45 million with $23.5 million guaranteed. Wow.

He is going all Ken Simms on us so far this season. Let’s hope Dante can light a fire under his keister.

He is going all Ken Simms on us so far this season. Let’s hope Dante can light a fire under his keister.

I don't mind paying anyone that much money if they are great at run blocking AND pass blocking. However, Mason is just a great run blocker. ...

He has been the biggest disappointment by far. Looks like a JAG out there.

Sony was pretty good. Not great, but he found some running room. Patriots are not committing to the run and teams are daring Tom to throw.

They seem pretty committed to me, it's just difficult to keep running for 1 yard on 3rd and 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing