PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running game in the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
22/113 and a TD. 5.1 YPC.

Against the number one rush defense in football. That’s pretty good.

Would love to see the Pats build on this. We have some good talent there. I know we will never get a guy like Terrell Davis anytime soon but it’s hard not to think about how much he and a lethal running game meant to Elway’s last two rings.

22/113 and a TD. 5.1 YPC.

Against the number one rush defense in football. That’s pretty good.

Would love to see the Pats build on this. I know we will never get a guy like Terrell Davis anytime soon but it’s hard not to think about how much he and a lethal running game meant to Elway’s last two rings.
I agree ... hopefully Belichick can find 1 big back in the later rounds to enhance the group.

I wouldn't hold my breath........as long as Brady is king, we be a passing team, and as long as that is the case, it's hard to develop run blocking consistence while pass pro is constantly being drilled into their heads

Elway's rings were in a totally different NFL. When Elway was winning super bowls defensive backs could still maul receivers downfield, thus making it much harder to move the ball in the air. Teams ran the ball much more in the 90s because nfl rules inhibited the passing games.

As long as we can keep everyone I think the running game is in a good place. Especially Develin.

Would love to see another 1988 Roger Craig walk through that door but I like what the team has at the position.

Would love to see the Pats build on this
every single year is an entirely different thing. The only thing that SB performance represents now is a terrible lost opportunity.

I hope we can keep that group intact for next season - Lewis, Burkhead, and White are good runners (in that order), and all 3 are threats out of the backfield as receivers. Develin is a hammer on interior running plays. Good group.

I'm ok with what we got. We are not a power running team. I would love for us to run more though to control the clock and wear down defenses. Maybe there is another Blount out there? Just gotta work him in the gameplan better. I guess Gillislee is gone?

Elway's rings were in a totally different NFL. When Elway was winning super bowls defensive backs could still maul receivers downfield, thus making it much harder to move the ball in the air. Teams ran the ball much more in the 90s because nfl rules inhibited the passing games.

Yup, it's a quarterback's league.......which makes this loss feel more painful.....we have TOM FRIGGIN BRADY and we lost to Nick Foles (great gameplan, don't get me wrong)

I realize that it's a passing league now but that doesn't mean we shouldn't consider trying to find a great back. Pitt has LVB and he's another wrinkle for offenses to worry about. Would be nice to have that.

I realize that it's a passing league now but that doesn't mean we shouldn't consider trying to find a great back. Pitt has LVB and he's another wrinkle for offenses to worry about. Would be nice to have that.

And Bell took up more cap space in 2017 than all four Pats RBs combined. Franchise tag or not, guys like Bell don't typically come cheap. In 2018, Fournette will cost as much as White and Gillislee combined.

Of all the needs this team has, a "great back" is just about last on the list, just ahead of "starting QB".

White, Lewis, Gillislee, Burkhead, and Develin are a terrific group and the Pats would do well to keep them together if possible.

The WR group is also terrific, when healthy, and adding Edelman back to the mix (Mitchell too, maybe) would be awesome: Edelman, Cooks, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchell - nice.

I mean don't get me wrong, if somehow an in-his-prime Matt Forte were to land on the Pats it wouldn't hurt. But this group as a whole is excellent. They ripped Philly's vaunted run defense consistently on Sunday.

The OL did some amazing run-blocking in the SB, especially considering that the Pats ran zero 2TE formations and considering that they used Develin relatively sparingly.

I'm ok with what we got. We are not a power running team. I would love for us to run more though to control the clock and wear down defenses. Maybe there is another Blount out there? Just gotta work him in the gameplan better. I guess Gillislee is gone?

Why is Gillislee "gone"? He's under contract for one more season for only $2.18M.

We don’t need to run more, we have brady, but we need to be able to convert 3rd and short without trying to resort to jet sweeps and wr reverses throwing back to the QB

I just figured since Gillislee was inactive a lot (even though he was injured a lot too), there may not be a place for him next season.

And allowed the OL to do chop blocks to free runnings backs.

Rb core is fine unless dion is looking for a payday

Of all the needs this team has, a "great back" is just about last on the list, just ahead of "starting QB".

White, Lewis, Gillislee, Burkhead, and Develin are a terrific group and the Pats would do well to keep them together if possible.

The WR group is also terrific, when healthy, and adding Edelman back to the mix (Mitchell too, maybe) would be awesome: Edelman, Cooks, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchell - nice.

I mean don't get me wrong, if somehow an in-his-prime Matt Forte were to land on the Pats it wouldn't hurt. But this group as a whole is excellent. They ripped Philly's vaunted run defense consistently on Sunday.

Agreed. I think the Pats played it perfectly......getting a group of RBs who are very effective in their roles and don't break the bank.

Dion Lewis' production will be tough to replace though (assuming he gets a good offer somewhere else), but I fully expect the Pats to get similar (not equal) production from some other team's cast off.

We don’t need to run more, we have brady, but we need to be able to convert 3rd and short without trying to resort to jet sweeps and wr reverses throwing back to the QB
Bingo.

Those two 3rd-down calls by Skippy were a disgrace to the human race, especially the Cookie Sweep on 3rd < 2. I thought for sure that, as soon as Brady knew that the defense was in man-to-man coverage, he would fake the sweep and give it to Bolden off-Tackle, where there were only 2 tacklers vs 3 blockers, and no DB available to shoot a gap.
Then Bill & Skippy disrespect Lewis & the running attack again by not attempting the 4th/barely 1 conversion. Absolutely, unforgivably gutless.

And just before the 3rd/5 WR pass later in the quarter, Dion Lewis had run for 5 yards on 2nd/10. Bill & Skippy must have at that very point decided that they were now in 4-down territory. They therefore should've given the ball to the hot hand of Lewis and run him away from Fletcher Cox. The likely worst-case situation is that the distance for a FG attempt would've been reduced to < 50 yards, and for a 1st- down attempt would've been reduced in half. More disrespect shown to the Cat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back