PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats discussed reacquiring Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious with this post?
Looking at the #'s...

Dorsett weeks 1, 2 and 4 (DNP against Detroit)

Averaged 5.3 catches for 55 yards per game

DA regular season 2017

Averaged 4.06 catches for 44 yards per game

Amendola's best season average as a Patriot was 2013, averaged 53 yards per game

Granted Dorsett's #'s are a smaller sample size, so that has to factor in as well

Danny Amendola Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Phillip Dorsett Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Are you familiar with his regular season body of work? The dude was literally a different person in January/February. In 2013, 2015, and 2017 he put up sub-Edelman numbers in the Edelman role and we got 0 rings. Good things happened when his role was minimized.
Yes I am.

Apparently you are not.

Looking at the #'s...

DA regular season 2017

Amendola's best season average as a Patriot was 2013, averaged 53 yards per game

Granted Dorsett's #'s are a smaller sample size, so that has to factor in as well

I can't believe this argument.

The statement, "Phillip Dorsett is just as good in the regular season as Danny Amendola." is ridiculous.

Look at Dorsett's regular season #s over this career and then look at DAs.

Is Dorsett really a bona-fide, sure-thing replacement?

When Edelman was in jail, Dorsett was performing as well as regular season Amendola ever did. If we miss Amendola, we won't know until January or February.
Homer

Looking at the #'s...

DA regular season 2017

Those stats don't tell the story. Dorsett is a zero compared to DA who made innumerable clutch plays time and time again.

I can't believe this argument.

The statement, "Phillip Dorsett is just as good in the regular season as Danny Amendola." is ridiculous.

Look at Dorsett's regular season #s over this career and then look at DAs.

I'm not making the argument, just providing the data to the quoted post's question about Dorsett vs DA regular season.

Those stats don't tell the story. Dorsett is a zero compared to DA who made innumerable clutch plays time and time again.
I don't disagree. The question was Dorsett's contributions thus far vs DA regular season.

I'm not making the argument, just providing the data to the quoted post's question about Dorsett vs DA regular season.
...and the data doesn't support the notion Dorsett is a better reg season player that DA

On the Dola/Dorset front...DAs very first regular season game he basically won for the team while tearing his groin. So he’s already better based on just that. Dude was a beast from day one...he just wasn’t Wes Welker paint-by-numbers. But he’s got more rings. And he ****ing damn sure earned em.

Can we try to get Chaldler Jones back? :p
Maybe they can give us Fitzgerald for Hightower.

On the Dola/Dorset front...DAs very first regular season game he basically won for the team while tearing his groin. So he’s already better based on just that. Dude was a beast from day one...he just wasn’t Wes Welker paint-by-numbers. But he’s got more rings. And he ****ing damn sure earned em.

And so many people were pissed about that because he took a while to come back and Julian stepped up and took over the role. But Danny Playoffs always came through when it counted. Still painful to see him in a Phins uni but who wouldn't take a job where you get paid more to work less?

Amendola IS a Patriot ...forever. Miami is a clown team and Danny knows it

Is Dorsett really even a bona-fide, sure thing NFL receiver? That’s a much better question.

He’s had 20 or less catches in 3/4 pro years, with a high of 33.

Is Dorsett really even a bona-fide, sure thing NFL receiver? That’s a much better question.

He’s had 20 or less catches in 3/4 pro years, with a high of 33.
Exactly my point

I thought Patterson had replaced Dola?

Looking at the #'s...

DA regular season 2017

Dorsett numbers came when he was supposed to be the top receiver.

Amendolas numbers came when he was wr number 2 or 3.

This is why Dorsett is on the bench when Gordon got here. I’m glad we have him as a backup though.

Amendolas numbers came when he was wr number 2 or 3.

This is why Dorsett is on the bench when Gordon got here. I’m glad we have him as a backup though.

Whats your point ? That Dorsett faced better CBs while Dola usually got the #2 or more often the #3s ?

What I don't get about this entire discussion is why even compare Dorsett and Dola. They are completely different players and were used in absolutely separate roles.

Dorsett has been used most of the time much closer to what Mitchell was giving the Pats around the sideline.

Dorsett was "supposed to be the top receiver" according to whom? And, for that matter, wtf defines "the top receiver"? Furthermore, why is it necessary to impose an artificial hierarchy on any of this, since it doesn't actually reflect what happens in real life?

During the first three games - pre-Gordon and pre-Edelman - Dorsett was actually used mostly on Dola/Edelman type routes (and did well), while Hogan and Gronk were used primarily in deeper target areas. That was a significant departure from the way the Pats had used Dorsett in 2017 (in a different "target mix").

Currently, the target mix appears to be Gronk, Hogan and Gordon sharing the various intermediate to deeper routes (mostly), with Edelman and White sharing the intermediate to short target areas (mostly). Dorsett hasn't been used the past three games NOT because he's "bad", but because (1) he's a bit redundant at this point, and (2) McD and Brady are still trying to get Gordon fully-integrated.

The evolution/development of the Pats 2018 offense got a late start (4 games late) due to a variety of reasons that included Edelman's suspension and various injuries, especially to RBs. As Brady himself said this week, "The offense is still in its infancy." Scary thought for opposing DCs. But what it means for us fans is that we haven't seen the final product yet, and that we may not see it until after the week-10 BYE.

Whatever it ends up being, I'd say the odds are good that it will include more Dorsett than we've seen over the past three games. In what role remains TBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing