PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats could sign both Danny Amendola and Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bedard is now saying "hold on""wait a minute' Wes will actually re sign with the Pats....anyone see the soap opera going on over at Boston.com about this?

This whole situation has been a major soap opera from day one. Let's hope it starts to trend in a positive direction again or we'll all have pulled our hair out by the time next Tues/Wed comes around.

March 12th can't get here fast enough. I'm officially over all this rumor nonsense and ready to read about some people actually ****ing signing.

:agree:

Amen, Sicilian.

I don't understand this at all. If the Pats sign Welker and Amendola, they'd have to start both.

Unless the Patriots want to give up the 2/2/1 set, that means no new big receiver in the base offensive formation.

Anyway you look at it, having Amendola and Welker on the field at the same time is a downgrade from even Welker and Edelman as we saw early on, as at least Edelman can play outside.

Danny Amendola 5'11 188 4.56
Brandon Lloyd 6'0 200 4.62
Greg Jennings 5'11 198 4.48
Brian Hartline 6'2 199 4.52
Julien Edelman 5'10 200 4.52

Welker 5'9 185 4.65

I think people just make assumptions based on skin color but the reality is the Hartline, Amendola and Edelman are much more similar to Jennings and Lloyd than they are to Wes Welker.

Also I like having the deception of which WR is going to go underneath and which one could run an outside route.

IMO you need to understand that there is difference between being able/willing to get open underneath and running after the catch and being a slot WR.

Either Julian has relatives on here, or his sample size for that designation was a series or maybe a quarter of the game vs. the Colts when JE was (for awhile) really ripping it up.

I agree with what Tony is saying as far as the potential that Edelman may have. It was a positive step in the right direction last offseason when he was working one on one with Brady out in California, unfortunately he was injured again.

I can't agree about those kinds of strong comments that "Edelman is an elite WR2" though.

He makes some very nice plays in space, is valuable both in ST's and as a developmental receiver still, and is great for trick plays/change of pace plays. Those are all the reasons why I want to keep him moving forward.

I would not be too comfortable (nor would anyone else) if Julian Edelman were going to be our WR2 this year full-time though. He hasn't shown any kind of ability to be able to successfully act as a receiver outside the numbers, and I don't know if he ever will.

If Belichick decides to pass on Welker and brings in a combo of Amendola/Edelman to try and make up for the majority of the lost production in the slot, I would be feeling much better with that scenario, as much as I want to keep #83.

This would make no sense to me.

Obviously, McDaniels had a vision of an offense where the role of the small, undersized slot receiver was diminished. BB was on board with this vision. They tried it for a week and change. Injuries forced their hand and Wes Welker proved far too good for them to continue their tinkering.

We all understand them re-signing Wes because he's proven his value to this offense, whether it fits McD's prototype or not. Wes is probably the exception to the rule they are creating - the rule being, the more versatile the better.

So to add another high-priced slot receiver? WTF.

Why not sign David Nelson instead? Bigger, more versatile and far, far cheaper.

I like Nelson but I don't see any reason why doing this could rule out having him too.

so your saying my "Welker hates their head coach" Tom Jackson column has to be put on the shelf?

Well if "disdain" turns to hate , then that's a breaking news story.

That would make no sense. There is only so much room on this team for slot receivers.

I'm all for replacing Wes with Amdenola or Julian if that means saving money. If that happens...

-Keep Lloyd (he's a bargain...too much production for his cost to cut him, in my opinion)
-Sign Jennings or draft a big receiver in the 1st round to complement Lloyd on the outside

Gotta stretch the outside of the field at some point...

This offense would be unstoppable if you had Lloyd, Jennings and Amendola/Julian with Gronk Hernandez and Ballard.

Jennings is 5'11 198, Amdenola is 5'11 188lbs. So why do we need to sign Jennings we can just feed Amdenola enough to gain the 10lbs needed to be big WR..

I think people just make assumptions based on skin color but the reality is the Hartline, Amendola and Edelman are much more similar to Jennings and Lloyd than they are to Wes Welker.

Also I like having the deception of which WR is going to go underneath and which one could run an outside route.

IMO you need to understand that there is difference between being able/willing to get open underneath and running after the catch and being a slot WR.

I think that's a great point. If people were talking of replacing Llyod with Hartline, then they shouldn't have a problem if it ends up being Amendola.

Danny Amendola can certainly catch the ball and take off, which is what Llyod failed to really produce at. I believe that he could run the exact same routes that Llyod ran with no problem. He is certainly not just limited to the slot.

Either way, even if it happened, we'd still be able to get a more complete WR in the top few rds of the draft. That's the main concern when people read this, but in all reality all Amendola would be doing is replacing Llyod, and possibly in a more productive way. Of course he'll cost a little more, but if this is an actual possibility (which I doubt it is) then I'd be fine with it.

The team needs to start worrying about adding some savvy veteran DEFENSIVE players instead of more offensive additions and use precious cap space on defense.

Enough of all this offensive stuff,Brady has won before with junk at receivers and he could still win with junk

..if the team doesn't add some veteran depth it could be same old,same old with the defense being too generous and costing them in the playoffs as it has been for the last several years.

The team needs to start worrying about adding some savvy veteran DEFENSIVE players instead of more offensive additions and use precious cap space on defense.

Enough of all this offensive stuff,Brady has won before with junk at receivers and he could still win with junk

..if the team doesn't add some veteran depth it could be same old,same old with the defense being too generous and costing them in the playoffs as it has been for the last several years.

Good point, because they're clearly just sitting on their hands. It's not as if they've already made defensive signings before FA even starts, or anything.

They should draft Swope and resign Edelman too.

Good point, because they're clearly just sitting on their hands. It's not as if they've already made defensive signings before FA even starts, or anything.

Sorry but no one is talking about defense most lately Douche...its about adding more slot receivers......we don't need slot receivers if Welker remains here,they will most likely keep Edelman on the cheap and should look to a deep threat if anything is needed at receiver.

I also think BB might feel he brought a lot of youth offensively but not a ton of experience through the 2010 and 2011 drafts so last year and this year he has been using his FA resources on offense and his draft resources on defense. Overall though both areas have been improved in recent years and I expect that to continue.

Sorry but no one is talking about defense most lately Douche...its about adding more slot receivers......we don't need slot receivers if Welker remains here,they will most likely keep Edelman on the cheap and should look to a deep threat if anything is needed at receiver.

I don't think what fans open threads about determine what is actually happening. So far we've signed Armstead and Benard on defense and not one slot WR...

Rumor: pats will sign wallace and jennings

People are specifically discussing the receiver position and, more particularly, the future of Welker/Lloyd/Edelman and any possible replacements, if needed. They currently have only one under contract, and you may have heard a rumor that he might not be back. Whether you like it or not, WR is the biggest issue on the team as of this moment. And, as I already pointed out to you, the Patriots have already made defensive signings (Armstead and Vega).

There's also the GM thread, where you are welcome to put together your notions for an entire roster, including the defense. There's the Connor Barwin thread, which is specific talk about a specific defensive player. There are threads about Kruger, Revis, Delmas/Chung, the DB spots (Goldson v. Talib), Sean Smith, Reiss' CB article, Ed Reed, Michael Bennett, Stewart Bradley and Cullen Jenkins, all on the first page of the forum. In short, there are plenty of thread choices if you wish to talk defense.

If you don't want to read the threads about the WRs, use the ignore thread feature.

The Patriots are more likely to sign neither of these players.

People are specifically discussing the receiver position and, more particularly, the future of Welker/Lloyd/Edelman and any possible replacements, if needed. They currently have only one under contract, and you may have heard a rumor that he might not be back. Whether you like it or not, WR is the biggest issue on the team as of this moment. And, as I already pointed out to you, the Patriots have already made defensive signings (Armstead and Vega).

If you don't want to read the threads about the WRs, use the ignore thread feature.

The Patriots may have to offer Edleman a very generous contract to re-sign.
This would enable them to have one wide receiver with a little experience.

The Patriots may have to offer Edleman a very generous contract to re-sign.
This would enable them to have one wide receiver with a little experience.

How many teams do you really think would pay big bucks for Edelman? ....

I like the guy but he has missed a decent amount of time with injuries over the past few years and I think they could get him at about the same type of deal they could get Woodhead back for...not dirt cheap but far from a lucrative deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back