PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: MJD to be traded to the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we do get MJD, do we cut or trade Washington?

I don't think we could trade Washington for a bag of peanuts at the moment, but he very well may be cut no matter what happens with the MJD rumors.

I suppose Belichick is holding out hope that he'll be able to go at some point, but we'll be halfway done with the season after this week and he has contributed nothing at all. The patience may be wearing thin in terms of the fact that he's taking up a precious roster spot.

Belichick on difficulties in making NFL trades | Comcast SportsNet | Mary Paoletti

"It’s certainly way less, way, way less than what there is at the 53 cut, just to pick another period of time or maybe the week before, like at the 75 cut. There’s a lot more conversations there about the makeup of your team and who you need and who might be extra and those kind of things. You’re looking at a 16-week season at that point."

"You need more, there’s less available, it’s a shorter season, you’re trading for a guy for just a short amount of time. How quickly can you get him ready, how productive will it be, was it really worth it? Is it worth it to the team who is trading away the player to get not very much for somebody versus just keeping him and playing with him even though you get something for him but it isn’t really worth it?"

"I don’t know much about baseball, but maybe a third baseman on this team, put him at third base on the other team and let him hit. How much is there involved? I’m sure there’s some but it’s not like playing left guard, having 20 different protections and two dozen running plays and a dozen different defenses you have to block every week. It’s a little more involved."

Yet baseball has the reputation as being more cerebral. Go figure.

The team has greater needs than securing a back up Running Back.

All the no's are completely mind boggling.

MJD is on one of the worst offenses in NFL history. Blaine Gabbert is playing worse than Jamarcus Russell and on par with Ryan Leaf.

From 2009-2012 this kid was the 2nd best RB in the league behind Adrian Peterson.

If BB feels he still has 2-3 seasons left in him at 28, this would be a game changing move. IN BB we trust if it happens.

He led the NFL in 2011 in rushing with no discernible NFL level QB play on the team that year. So why the big drop off from then? Peterson led the NFL in rushing last year with poor qb play and not much of a passing game.

What gives? What makes you think MJD is ever going to play like that again? I fail to see how poor qb play has anything to do with him not rushing the ball well.

Yet baseball has the reputation as being more cerebral. Go figure.

I thought baseball was more cerebral because you have a crap load of time during the game to contemplate the meaning of life, the differences in quality and consistency between RedMan, Skoal and Copenhagen chews, the vastness of the Universe, whether that hot chick in the 3rd row is with a spouse or her brother, what bar you might want to hit after the game, and many other questions that need answers in life.

This. Vereen's performance at the end of last season made Woodhead look like a very insignificant player in comparison.

Obviously, the team did not anticipate these injuries.

Only to the uninformed. Saying Woodhead looked like a very insignificant player in comparison because of one game is an ignorant statement. And when it comes to Vereen, maybe people should start anticipating he'll get injured.

Only to the uninformed. Saying Woodhead looked like a very insignificant player in comparison because of one game is an ignorant statement. And when it comes to Vereen, maybe people should start anticipating he'll get injured.

So he has his first injury in his 3rd season, and he is injury prone? Because he breaks 1 little wrist bone, and doesn't even know until after the game. Yeah that's injury prone. If you want to talk injury prone, talk about talib. He is more injury prone that amendola and gronk combined.

So he has his first injury in his 3rd season, and he is injury prone? Because he breaks 1 little wrist bone, and doesn't even know until after the game. Yeah that's injury prone. If you want to talk injury prone, talk about talib. He is more injury prone that amendola and gronk combined.

Well, he was put on IR in his first year as well.

You're flat out wrong with just about everything you wrote. And Vereen has been inactive for over half the games in his career. Talib, Gronk and even Amendola have not.

Gronk - Active 44 of 55
Talib - Active 86 of 103
Amendola - Active 45 of 71
Vereen - Active 19 of 41

He was on the injury list basically the first year and a half of his career (11 inactives his rookie year) and IR for all but 1 of the first 10 games this year.

Shane Vereen latest news and rumors

This. Vereen's performance at the end of last season made Woodhead look like a very insignificant player in comparison.

Obviously, the team did not anticipate these injuries.

Woodhead 2010-2012
250 carries 1199 yards 10 TD 92 catches 982 yards 4 TD

Vereen 2011-2013
91 carries 409 yards 4TD 15 catches 207 yards 1TD

i would not mind seeing him get all of LeGarrette Blount and Brandon Bolden's playing time at back up RB and 3rd down back but the pats are not going to give up a draft pick and pay him 5 million, i don't see this trade happening

He'd be insurance in case Vereen can't come back effectively. He's what you hope Vereen develops into, a bowling ball who can catch.

imo MJD and Vereen are complete opposites as far as playing style. They both catch the ball out of the backfield but I feel the comparisons really end there.

With so many teams geared up to stop the pass the time is ripe for a team to ramp up their running game and take advantage of the scenario. Not much different when we were one of the few teams using the 3-4 ... being excellent at something when most teams are geared up to stop something else is how Belichick has carved out his career.

I would love to see MJD here ... a great running game could add a few years to Tom Brady's career. We don't need Tom slinging 35 passes a game. We could well get by with him throwing 20-25 excellent passes due to a very healthy arm and shoulder. He's not 25 anymore ... a wise team management should reflect what he is not what he used to be.

Last edited:
Please change the title of this from "Rumor" to "Wish." Both ESPN and SI have articles from writers who put it on trades they'd like to see, with no actual source. The Tweet itself has no shred of rumour about it.

This is a complete and total fabrication, and it needs to be labelled as such.

Please change the title of this from "Rumor" to "Wish." Both ESPN and SI have articles from writers who put it on trades they'd like to see, with no actual source. The Tweet itself has no shred of rumour about it.

This is a complete and total fabrication, and it needs to be labelled as such.

Should we also rename the board the 'Patsfans Official News Board' while we 're at it?

Not sure why the Pats would trade for a RB when there are much more pressing needs. I think MJD is close to being done, is on the last year of his contract and wants to be paid more next year than what the Pats would be willing to give. He would essentially be a 1/2 season rental for a valuable draft pick? No thanks.

Um, aren't people forgetting how good Ridley is? Defense or WR would have to be much higher priorities. Even a solid TE would help more. Our running game is suffering because not enough running plays are being called! 18 against the Jests, in a tight, field position game, need I say more?

Personally, I feel that they need to get defensive help, especially DL.

MJD has already said he doesn't want to play here. Says its too cold for him.

MJD has already said he doesn't want to play here. Says its too cold for him.
Did he really? Anyone else remember back when jags were good around 05-07 that they were known as that florida team that played like a cold weather team. That was a fun team to watch was always hoping they'd overtake the colts in the division. Loved seeing Jones-Drew and Freddie T dominate the steelers year after year. Jags should go back to the uniforms from those days, maybe it'll bring back that old mentality. Or at least not make them look like the damn fools they do now with the multi colored helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3