PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rule Question - Just Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedyB54

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
First, let's get the legal stuff out of the way:

1) Yes, I know the Patriots won the game.
2) Yes, I understand the play I'm going to ask about had no bearing on the out come.

This is just a general question for my own edumacation ;)

The play was the Bulger pass that bounced up off a players helmet, then was almost picked by Sanders (I think) only to have it bounce off him and then ultimately caught by the Ram WR (Hall, I think).

My question is, should a flag have been thrown for an ineligible receiver (O Lineman) touching the ball first? I'm pretty sure I've seen that call made before when the QB makes a pass that hits a lineman.

Was the Rams player that got hit the TE maybe?

Again, just curious if anyone can clear that up.

Thanks!!

2) Yes, I understand the play I'm going to ask about had no bearing on the out come.

The play was the Bulger pass that bounced up off a players helmet, then was almost picked by Sanders (I think) only to have it bounce off him and then ultimately caught by the Ram WR (Hall, I think).

My question is, should a flag have been thrown for an ineligible receiver (O Lineman) touching the ball first? I'm pretty sure I've seen that call made before when the QB makes a pass that hits a lineman.

Thanks!!

No, unless QB intended to throw the ball at his helmet.

Thanks!!

If the play had happened last year then yes, it would have been a penalty. The NFL in thier boundless wisdom changed the rule so that if the OL is hit in the back with a pass (as in it's an accident) it is no longer a penalty.

I think that the refs, thought that a Patriot player must have touched the ball first, other than than.... You are right!

The ball hit the helmet of Oralndo Pace, who is an ineligible reciever, the rules states nothing about intended receiver.

If the play had happened last year then yes, it would have been a penalty. The NFL in thier boundless wisdom changed the rule so that if the OL is hit in the back with a pass (as in it's an accident) it is no longer a penalty.

Ahhh...ok, got it.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes