PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Acquisitions - Next Step: Defense

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have 4 months of a free agent market before the season starts, and even in the two weeks after. We also could trade for players through the trade deadline.

My guess is that we will have 2-3 more significant additions on defense.

Not sure about the Cap for both, the Pats have anyway to clear out a bit to sign all the draftees, but I'd prefer Hicks if I could chose one of both.
For Edge I actually hope that Perkins will step up and make some noice there for himself, not sure about Flowers, he seems a bit washed up after his injuries and Detroit stint, still wouldn't mind if they bring him back on a vet minimum contract, kind of prove it deal...

For LB, McGrone seems to be highly regarded by the Pats and he is really fast, if he is healthy now after last years ACL its like they have drafted a fast LB that can chase the likes of Josh Allen etc. this year, a new player on LB position, however I would have liked another fast LB as well in the draft.

We've got less roster spots than you think once you look at the depth chart now with all the rookie additions. I don't see too many additions except for another edge player - Trey Flowers seems obvious - and possibly a nose but then we just re-signed Carl Davis. Otherwise I think we are set.

We may already have those guys on the roster. They’re all faster than High, KVN, Bentley & current Collins.
Uche is terrible. McMillan now has two ACL tears and is almost always injured. McGrone and Perkins are mysteries. Jennings is slow and is best served as a pass rusher. We already know what we have in Bentley.

This is a very bad group.

Last edited:
Uche is terrible. McMillan now has two ACL tears and is almost always injured. McGrone and Perkins are mystery's. Jennings is slow and is best served as a pass rusher. We already know what we have in Bentley.

Any rookie would also be a mystery, right? You wrote them off without even giving them a shot. They’re both promising talents. You conveniently left out Peppers, Wilson & the roles that Dugger & Phillips will play in the box. That’s speed. This defense (based upon the pieces they’ve acquired) will be even more versatile/interchangeable.

Danny Big Boy Shelton?
Great consideration Cousin.
Danny seemed to play here just fine. His best year was 2019 and he had 3 sacks and 61 Tackles and he is only 28.

Gonna pound the table once more. We came into the Draft needing a DE and we got .......nyet!

There are players yet to consider. I know the Raiders will move Clelin Ferrell and his 35 QB pressures. John will get rid of Mayock's boys at all costs. We need the speed.

If not, Clowney or Flowers.

Out LBS from last year are too slow. Barr can still cover. Maybe gample on the flock of youngsters at LB. You have to send those chips some way.

We got two slot corners in the Draft and did not address the outside CB need. Way to go kids! James Bradberry of the Giants is priced too high but still a good player only 28. He would be our #1 corner. I say the heck with it. So let's do a blockbuster because we are all board after that Draft. Let's see if we can get a deal for both sides with players whom need change of scenery by force Trade. Our two likely suspects CB Williams and Harry, and have the Giants pay some of Branberry's salary......done deal. Might be a one year rental.

Slot receiver. Never addressed that with our crack Draft Team . We now have 6 boundry receivers or 5 if you count Meyers in the slot and he is not that. Very easy fix.The Jags will let Laviska Shenault go. Or.......................you sit down with GM OBJ and have him make a deal for Deebo. Maybe Agholor and a pick on 2023?

Simpler? Get Isabella from AZ. They have toyed with Harry.

These new kids make me long for Nick C.
No offense but Matt "Thanks Dad" Groh does not know what he is doing yet. He wamts us to buy-in that he got great value in this Draft.

He has just cost Mr. Kraft a feces load of money as I see There is maybe 2 starters and one back up in this whole Draft class........atta way to go Draft Team.

Here is my point. You get them in town tomorrow to learn the system.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Uche is terrible. McMillan now has two ACL tears and is almost always injured. McGrone and Perkins are mystery's. Jennings is slow and is best served as a pass rusher. We already know what we have in Bentley.

Bentley, Judon, Wilson, and (probably) Peppers is a good group. Not overly fast, but not terrible either. Peppers ran a 4.46 40. And Perkins is pretty fast for LB too, if he can get on the field.

Any rookie would also be a mystery, right?
You wrote them off without even giving them a shot.
You can't rely on a 3rd and 5th round draft picks that mysteriously didn't play their rookie years. And it's not like they had much competition for playing time.
You conveniently left out Peppers, Wilson & the roles that Dugger & Phillips will play in the box.
I only named the most significant players. I'm not going to name every LB on the roster.

Dugger, Phillips, and Peppers are safeties who will lineup as "LB's" on occasion.

Mack Wilson...really?

They need a real east west LB that can be a pest.

Hicks and/or Flowers.

I’m disappointed LB wasn’t addressed. Need guys in the second level to stop guys like Josh Allen running wild.
Maybe Hightower comes back.

We've got less roster spots than you think once you look at the depth chart now with all the rookie additions. I don't see too many additions except for another edge player - Trey Flowers seems obvious - and possibly a nose but then we just re-signed Carl Davis. Otherwise I think we are set.
Not excited about Davis, Cowart, Ekuale

We have to realize that we have half a Defense worth of guys that were out (or didn't play) all last year that is like getting a bonus draft/FA class.
CB Jones, LB McMillan, DB Bledsoe, LB McGrone, DE Anderson, OLB Perkins, CB Wade

I know, besides J. Jones, we don't know what they can do. But there's reason to be optimistic with most of them.

Hicks and/or Flowers.

I’m disappointed LB wasn’t addressed. Need guys in the second level to stop guys like Josh Allen running wild.
Last year they had a 31-yr-old 4.68 guy (10 years ago) with well over 600+ snaps, a 30-year-old 4.71 guy with 800 snaps, and a younger 4.75 guy (Bentley) with 600+ snaps. No off-the-line guy was close to that (Collins had 200).

This year, they have two younger 4.6's guys in Wilson and McMillan, a 4.46 guy in Peppers (and yes, he plays a LOT of linebacker), and a 4.3 guy in McGrone. Oh, and Uche, who I'd love to see them play a lot more, was 4.53.

Maybe one or more of HT, Van Noy, and Collins comes back, but HT and Van Noy should not be getting anywhere near the snaps they took last year.

Same with McCourty. Slow the snap counts on the "seasoned" vets.

It'll be interesting to see how that D adjusts, but I'd feel a lot better with the smaller and quicker guys if they had a bigger and stouter DL.

Maybe Hightower comes back.
If he does, please put him on the end and let him stay there with a narrower range of responsibilities. He'd excel there, I think, a beautiful compliment to Judon. And then they could put him in a rotation that keeps those legs fresher come December/January.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back