PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell Press Conf [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Roger Goodell Press Conf

God, some of those questions were cringeworthy. Do you people have no listening and processing skills? He was asked the same thing at least three times.

Six freaking tapes. That's what everyone has been freaking out about.

I would have died laughing if the tape of the coach waving at the camera was leaked.

It struck me how the notes he talked about MAY have been gained though videotaping. They didn't know but they destroyed them anyway. That really could have put the Pats at a disadvantage. I would love to see the notes other teams have.

I just happened to luck out catching this walking by the family room and heard the press conference start. I saved it to the DVR. This one's definitely a keeper.

so then why take away a 1rd draft pick? i agree with him, the pats didnt gain any competetive advantage, however, why were they punished so harshly then? just b/c they were on the wrong spot on the field?

im asking cuz thats the excuse all the haters are using now, u say the pats didnt cheat, they ask why were they dogged a first round pick?

myself it should have been a 3rd pick, just for going against it, but it was pathetic how goodell tried to shut everyone up by taking away a 1st round pick, when in fact the opposite happened

I think the punishment Goodell laid on the Pat's served multiple purposes from the NFL's perspective:

It disciplined them for breaking the rule.

It made an example of the Patriots and sent a message to the rest of the league to stop taping.

It sent a message to Bill Belichick that he is not above league rules and ignoring the Commissioner's memos and warnings will not be tolerated.

It was a "New Sheriff In Town" power play.

I'm torn. I don't want to like the guy, but I was pretty impressed with the presser.

I have to say I agree with Goodell on taking away the 1st round pick. I think he needed to set a standard for conduct that goes completely against his directive. Everyteam was told not to do this. The Pats did. It is really end of discussion at this point.

Even though the Pats did not really gain any advantage with the tapes the rule is broken and the POTENTIAL is there to cheat. By laying down a severe punishment now he has avoided any gray area in the future and any thought by another team to illegally monitor the opposing team and to actually cheat.

Because they were specifically told not to do it, and did it anyway.

Exactly. It was the seeming defiance that was smacked down, not because they actually got any in game advantage.

It sucks, but it's not that hard to understand. When I was a kid, if I kept sticking my hand in a cookie jar while being told no, the final time I would receive a smack. Not because stealing a cookie is a huge deal, but because I didn't listen to authority.

I guess part of what I was saying is if the Pats did cheat then it would be a disaster. Goodell has ensured no one will even try to cheat in this manner. Againj I am not saying they did

Last edited:

so then why take away a 1rd draft pick?

It was the nuclear (or nucular if you are so inclined) option to protect league integrity...or at least the appearance of taking threats to league integrity very serious. Goodell is now well armed to respond to any investigation into this matter by citing the severity of the punishment.

Kraft had to have signed off on this. The Pats didn't get a tremendous advantage out of these tapes besides more effective scouting. However, if the punishment discourages any other "gamesmanship" by other teams, then that is to the Pats advantage. That being said, I was disappointed that the commish didn't fine the Chargers for their deliberate screwing with the injury report before the AFCC game. Assuming the RCA Dome sound system checks out, this was the only instance of funny-business that I can recall this year...and the league whiffed on it.

I think the punishment Goodell laid on the Pat's served multiple purposes from the NFL's perspective:

It disciplined them for breaking the rule.

It made an example of the Patriots and sent a message to the rest of the league to stop taping.

It sent a message to Bill Belichick that he is not above league rules and ignoring the Commissioner's memos and warnings will not be tolerated.

It was a "New Sheriff In Town" power play.

Absolutely. Bellichick was really, really arrogant for going directly against rules that he had been warned about before the season. You can't have teams just flagrantly flouting your authority, so you come down real hard on them. That was misconstrued by people as evidence that they "cheated". Sucks, but I'm really glad that he straightening things out today (finally).

I agree with most here in that Goodell should have made these statements right after reviewing the taps.

Geez.. all this for 6 tapes

Anyone got a link to the press conference or a transcript of it?

people are making a big thing about what goodell said today...the last thing the commish of the league wants is for a super bowl champion to be cast in a negative light. the super bowl is obviously the league's cash cow and if it were to be dipped into controversy the implications could be devastating. so goodell is trying to make this all go away. here's a clue rog: you're just gonna make it all worse when the TRUTH comes out.

You're a doofus. That is all.

Honestly, at this point, I don't really care too much about getting the first round pick back, it would be more trouble that it was worth.

I just hope that the spin that comes off this is people finally realizing what the Patriots did wasn't as bad as public perception has come to suggest. The reason the Pats lost the pick, IMO, is because they violated the memo which specifically told them not to do it. That was dumb of them, and even if the penalty was harsh, it was not entirely without warrant.

I'm very skeptical that mediots/bloggers/fans who have been harping on this issue all year will change their tune now that more facts come out, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Man, this day started out crappy, but turned awesome PDQ.

As a bonus, this might kill Easterbrook.

Last edited:

people are making a big thing about what goodell said today...the last thing the commish of the league wants is for a super bowl champion to be cast in a negative light. the super bowl is obviously the league's cash cow and if it were to be dipped into controversy the implications could be devastating. so goodell is trying to make this all go away. here's a clue rog: you're just gonna make it all worse when the TRUTH comes out.

D,d,d,d,d,did you miss the presser junior? The trust just came out! You and all your hopeless haters have to squirm with the reality that, YES, your pathetic excuse for a football team sucked that bad and was that inferior to the Patriots.:rocker:

That would be a win for everyone.

I've always thought a full airing of the facts in this case would benefit the Patriots, even when fans of other teams scoffed at that notion. I'm glad to see that this is what ultimately might occur. I just wish Goodell would have said all this back in Week 2.

The turth? That the league is run by Illuminati, or Reptillians?

what about placing microphones on defensive linemen to get the opposing offensive signals? what about jamming the opposing offensive coordinator's radio transmissions? is that acceptable to the public too?

What about Goodell saying, "We have no evidence to support that claim."
Strike three, Junior. You're an idiot.

what about placing microphones on defensive linemen to get the opposing offensive signals? what about jamming the opposing offensive coordinator's radio transmissions? is that acceptable to the public too?
Has any of that been substantiated? Lots of rumors about what teams do. Colts piping in sound, turning up the heat, etc. Come back when there's some hard evidence.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. There is some blog on ESPN, "hashmarks"?, never heard of it, but caught the link on the main page. Look at the spin already. They don't try and vindicate the Pats at all, in fact, the last entry says that "taping wasn't widespread" and that it contradicts what Patriot defenders have said all along.

We should just face it, if today's press conference doesn't shut up the "Belicheat" crap, then nothing will. If people want to be complete morons, they will be complete morons. If the media wants to have an agenda, they will.

Hopefully, we win Sunday, and then we get the last laugh.

I would have died laughing if the tape of the coach waving at the camera was leaked.

That's what I want to know. Who is it? Billick? Gruden?

Dungy? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand