PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roberts low hit sack on Mac: penalty or not?

Another person who clearly hasn't watched the play. Go ahead and post the screenshot from the clip posted in the op of him on the ground before he made contact with Jones. Go ahead i'll wait..........
If that was Tua, you would be arguing the other side just as vehemently.

Another person who clearly hasn't watched the play. Go ahead and post the screenshot from the clip posted in the op of him on the ground before he made contact with Jones. Go ahead i'll wait..........
You’re pissed off?

I believe the rule is waved it the ref believes the rusher was blocked into the QB or had no other play but to grab him low. I believe he had no other option because he was on the ground and it was a terrible call. I am happy we got it though. LOL!
The rule is blocked into, as in you had no control. The rule does not include “had no other play”. Definitely a bad football rule because you should be allowed to make a play but the rule was written for safety and would require him to not make a play.

Again, no need for foaming-at-the-mouth homerism.

Calling out stuff that should have been penalties is now foaming at the mouth homerism? Got it. Bet you think Brady getting grazed in the helmet in the 2018 AFCC was a good call.

I'll leave these here for morons who refuse to actually watch

Screenshot_20210913-100402_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210913-100416_Chrome.jpg

The rule is blocked into, as in you had no control. The rule does not include “had no other play”. Definitely a bad football rule because you should be allowed to make a play but the rule was written for safety and would require him to not make a play.
Yeah, my issue is basically with the rule. Based on the rule, the flag was the correct call. The rule itself is just trash.

Yeah, if you just get tripped up as Roberts was, the rule requires you to try to make an effort to avoid contact with the QB if you cannot hit him above the knees.

Yeah, my issue is basically with the rule. Based on the rule, the flag was the correct call. The rule itself is just trash.
Most safety rules are NFL PR.

Calling out stuff that should have been penalties is now foaming at the mouth homerism? Got it. Bet you think Brady getting grazed in the helmet in the 2018 AFCC was a good call.

Can you stick to one ****ing play and knock it off with your whataboutism?

Last edited:
If you watch it in real time, he is going full speed, trucks our RB and is stumbling toward Mac. He did not dive at Mac's legs. He was falling down as he grabbed Mac low. He literally just wrapped him up. Did not twist him or spear him or anything.

If you watch it in real time, he is going full speed, trucks our RB and is stumbling toward Mac. He did not dive at Mac's legs. He was falling down as he grabbed Mac low. He literally just wrapped him up. Did not twist him or spear him or anything.

You are describing roughing the passer if he makes initial contact below the knees like Roberts did. You hit a QB below the knees unless you are blocked into him, you are roughing the passer in today's NFL. Plain and simple.

It is a crap rule, but that is the way the rule is.

I concur now after reading more about it from you all…right call, based on the rule. Intent is not relevant, unless it’s impossible to avoid.

Last edited:
And what about the announcers that keep referring to this as the Tom Brady rule?

It's the Freakin' Carson Palmer rule. The Brady rule is when a player is previously on the ground, they can't lunge into the QBs legs.

It seems to me that Robert's could have taken another step to regain his balance and hit the qb legally. He chose not to do that because he did not want to take the time to do so. Instead he took the quickest shot he could, which resulted in a correctly called penalty.

I honestly want to know what play people actually watching. He was never tripped up. He blew up the blocker and and had full control of his momentum on that a chose to dive low

I thought he got tripped up not with a blocker but just lost his footing. Haven't watched since it happened in real time and the initial replays. So maybe I am remembering it wrong.

Either way, I think it is the proper call.

I thought he got tripped up not with a blocker but just lost his footing. Haven't watched since it happened in real time and the initial replays. So maybe I am remembering it wrong.

Either way, I think it is the proper call.
I don’t think he had control over his momentum just simply based on the fact that he probably wasn’t expecting to truck Rham that easily. Rham is big dude and fell like a ton of bricks.

My first reaction was bad call…he was going down based on momentum from being blocked. At the same time, it’s a dangerous play, so where do you draw the line on intent and safety?

No foaming-at-the-mouth homer takes please…curious what people think because it doesn’t get called often.

Since Mac Jones is a Patriot, Roberts deserves to be suspended from the next Pats-LOLphins game for that hit. :)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back