PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Ninkovich announces his retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite "do your job" Patriot...

And the cool thing about him...

f18d3a782158b0a68d173906b337210d--swiss-army-knife-swiss-flag.jpg

...he could do so many jobs.

Well, my favorite #54 and #50 didn't go 19-0.
I was really hoping I could see those numbers finish the task this season. Alas, Rob will be missed. What a great, likable, respectable Patriot. Best wishes, #50!

Interesting. I know he's been taking most of the A. Branch reps at DT alongside Brown on the first team defense, but does this kick Guy more to DE now?

I don't see Grissom as the 1st string answer and the team so far has been really down on Ealy. Flowers is a lock but this really puts the starter and depth at DE into a little turmoil.
I'm not worried, BB will find someone to fill Ninks shoes. After all he did just that in getting Nink from NO in '09. I feel BB does some of his best personel work at this time of the year.

I hope he sticks around in a coaching capacity. He has the IQ for it.
My first thought after reading he was retiring was him going into coaching.

Time to dust off the old clone machine again.

914256_576237929127854_1910443531_a.jpg

Seriously though he went from who is this guy that looks exactly like Vrabel to a man with a great Patriot legacy of his own.
I think the Patriots began planning for this last year when McClellin was signed. Similar skill set and I see him as a good fit in that hybrid role.

I think the Patriots began planning for this last year when McClellin was signed. Similar skill set and I see him as a good fit in that hybrid role.

Agree.

Assuming Nink calls it a career you'll have at 4-3 DE

Flowers
Shea
Ealy
Wise
Rivers

Everyone after Flowers is a question mark

High could play Ninks role but that takes away some flex.

I suppose Guy could bump out but he seems more like a 2,3 and 4 gap player

I am most curious what kind of discussions have been going on between the Ninko camp and the team over the past 4 days.
Why four days into camp?
No question, Ninko's 2017 compensation was light on dollars with a salary only guaranteed for injury.
Was Ninko hoping the team would step up and restructure his deal in more favorable terms for the player?
Was NE taking a wait and see using the past 3 days of training camp to get a better feel for the players on the practice field?
Did Ninko believe he would be a bench player or an eventual roster cut?
What about the prorated $900k bonus already paid out?
As I wrote before, Reiss was very cryptic on July 26th "wondering" out loud which veteran would cause a camp surprise.
Given that Reiss did not report what he most likely already knew, I guess the 4 day delay was nothing more than allowing Ninko to walk away on his own terms with a little bit of spotlight still on him.

So....who will be the next Vrabel/ Ninko clone?

this has taken me by surprise - same as i felt when bruschi retired.

this has taken me by surprise - same as i felt when bruschi retired.
Not to call you out but Bru's retirement seemed more predictable than Ninks. He was 36 at the time and missed a few games the year before. Maybe you saw him as the next Seau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST