PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Ninkovich announces his retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite Patriots simply because he did his job and let his work speak for itself. Thank you for your hard work, leadership, determination, clutch plays & two rings.

markfailed.gif

200.gif

In his prime Ninko was a player that played the most snaps of any DL in the league, set the edge with the best of them & recorded 8 sacks a year. So underrated back then. Enjoy retirement.

Nice tribute to unlikely football hero.

There was something about him that always made me feel good.

Maybe not the hall-of-famer but absolute hall-of-hearter.

Interesting. I know he's been taking most of the A. Branch reps at DT alongside Brown on the first team defense, but does this kick Guy more to DE now?

I don't see Grissom as the 1st string answer and the team so far has been really down on Ealy. Flowers is a lock but this really puts the starter and depth at DE into a little turmoil.

Rob when I heard your interview about your bar fund raiser compounded with CTE results, something in my head said that guys retiring.
That being said you gave your all to the team every season not the biggest fastest or strongest guy on the field.
However your will couldn't be denied and you were the most dependable player on the defensive line.
Enjoy life after football you earned it.

A few folks on this board have been considering the possibility of a Nink retirement since well before the draft. I personally thought it would be AFTER this season, but it is what it is.

I'm not really concerned about a 1-for-1 "replacement" for Nink, though. The roles of a few other players will likely be re-configured and probably would have been anyway this season, considering the differing skillsets (strengths/weaknesses) of the new players like Rivers, Ealy, Guy, Wise and Harris who have been brought in.

So far, Harris hs been showing that he has something significant left in tank. If he can lead the linebackers, that maybe frees up HT for more on-the-line edge work. Rivers looking reasonable in TE coverage perhaps indicates some consideration for him in a hybrid OLB/DE role, rather than as a pure, on-the-line edge guy, and maybe makes him the closest to a Nink replacement. Guy appears to be able to play the line outside or inside, and Wise may have some of the same ability, perhaps leaving Flowers as more of a pure edge-rusher with Ealy as a situational addition or relief man.

It seems to me that there's a lot of talent and potetnail versatility in this front-seven group, even without Nink. Just a lot of tinkering ahead to figure out where everyone best fits in the schemes and how those schemes can be variably customized and applied in opponent-specific ways. But then, there always is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back