PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Konrad -- wow!

It's a 112 mile bike not 212 just for the record.

No it wouldn't. There's a race around Manhattan every year which is a 28 mile swim. The winner is usually around 7 hours which works out to 15 minutes per mile. Granted that's a top of the line swimmer. I've done half ironman races and some 5K swims. I can do half hour miles which is a comfortable pace because you have to save yourself for the bike and run.

In choppy conditions an open water swim can be more difficult but you are more buoyant in salt water than fresh water or pool water making it easier to stay afloat and propel yourself.

Don't get me wrong 9 miles is still a great accomplishment but this is an athlete good enough to make the NFL something I'm not so I'm just not as surprised as others.

NFL athletes are not built like endurance athletes. They're muscle heavy which really would work against them in an activity like swimming.

Just the fact that he was 9 miles out in open water out in the Atlantic and was able to go in the right direction consistently is almost a miracle in itself. It's not calm water out there and you could end up swimming in large loops if there aren't any visual references.

I think this is ducktales to be honest. He probably fell off and swam to shore, but 9 miles out? Like I said, if it really did happen then it's amazing that he found his way back.

NFL athletes are not built like endurance athletes. They're muscle heavy which really would work against them in an activity like swimming.

Just the fact that he was 9 miles out in open water out in the Atlantic and was able to go in the right direction consistently is almost a miracle in itself. It's not calm water out there and you could end up swimming in large loops if there aren't any visual references.

I think this is ducktales to be honest. He probably fell off and swam to shore, but 9 miles out? Like I said, if it really did happen then it's amazing that he found his way back.

I'm sure he's not built like he was in his football days but for the record I'm not built like an endurance athlete either and guys like Hines Ward have done IM's.

I just don't doubt the 9 miles.

Lots of people would buy the story in book format. If I Did It - a new book of triumph by a former NFL player. Oh, wait...

PSA:

Remember to wear PFDs with tracking devices at all times when out on the water. It happened to Marquise Hill and Rob Konrad, it could happen to you.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back