PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Tommy Heinsohn

Hey man, why you always making me disagree?:confused:
Westy wanted out. Didn't like the team concept. It's his right. But crap, imagine if Sam Jones took that attitude when he started here.

Red had to let him go. And as Red said, we won that trade. Paul got his All-Star games, but we - with Charlie - won the title.

And I wanted Chaney to stay too. But we couldn't match the offer Don got from the ABA.

I don't remember reading or hearing about that...This article I found goes into some detail about his time with the Celtics but doesn't mention any grievance from Westphal's side:

Working off memory from 45 years ago, it was Heinsohn who wanted the trade. He felt Westphal didn't run the break well as mentioned in the article.

My memory is that Westphael was shocked and disappointed at the trade.

I don't remember reading or hearing about that...This article I found goes into some detail about his time with the Celtics but doesn't mention any grievance from Westphal's side:

We tend to agonize over the losses more than celebrating the wins for some reason, but I've been wrong so many times posting I don't know how you guys put up with me.

The Auerbach quote is accurate; but it was in the context of defending the trade in the midst of the Celtics' period of misery from 1977-79 which was comparable to or even worse than ours for the Patriots from 1989-1992. From ownership being a circus to calamity and miserable losing on the court; John Y. Brown very nearly drove Red out of town at its nadir. But Red is Red. Both he and another Paul, Silas, admitted they screwed up when he became a free agent in 1976, and although the fallout was a horrible mess, it did lead to drafting Larry Bird as a junior eligible. That kicked off a hot streak for Red which culminated in his magnum opus, drafting Len Bias days after winning the championship in 1986.

These are a great read:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back