PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Gale Sayers

RIP, Gale Sayers.

Plus there was his book, Brian’s Song, which was made into a movie with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. Good movie, didn’t cry, nope, not me, nope, not one tear, completely dry.

One of the few players I always think of first, when comparing todays surgeons and technology vs the older era. Careers could end in one play back then. Nowadays there is 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances, so on, due to advances.

He’s a legend in my book even if his career was a little short. Loved the Brian’s song movie when i was a kid/ young adult, even though now seems a little corny. But still, the premises of the movie remains the same. Be good to each other no matter the race, religion etc. Rip.

Sidebar.
Boomer talking about Sayers. Oof. He makes BB’s ragged sweater look seem stylish...

He had to be seen to be truly appreciated. He could take a kickoff, a punt, or a handoff at the LOS to the house at any time. He did all three to the 49's at Kezar Stadium in a game. He was a good receiver, also. My favorite, aside from Jim Brown. May you rest in peace, Mr. Sayers.

Ballet in spikes. What an elegant runner and stellar man. RIP to one of my all-time favs.
Amen! He was one of the bes runners I ever saw,and I’ve seen them all since the mid fiftie. Some of his punt returns were amazing.

He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but looking at his stats it's a little amazing he is.

That's how good Sayers was when he broke in.

I remember when someone asked Jim Brown if he retired because he felt the heat after Sayers rookie season.

RIP

Plus there was his book, Brian’s Song, which was made into a movie with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. Good movie, didn’t cry, nope, not me, nope, not one tear, completely dry.
Anyone who watches that original one with Caan and Williams (not that 2001 remake crap) and doesn't shed tears doesn't have a soul.

Great player, great man, done too soon. May the good Lord rest his soul.

The most amazing stat about Sayers was after being a breakaway runner after he was injured and breaking down in 1969 he led the league in rushing with 1032 yards in 14 games with no run longer than 28 yards.
The most amazing thing to see about Sayers was the highlight film where he makes a cut to avoid a guy directly behind him.
True legendary football player and excellent human being as well. RIP

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back