PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rick Gosselin's first mock (2011)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...is now out, and unfortunately subscription-required. I've been able to piece together some picks from various sources -- but not the Pats picks (yet).

Here's what we have so far:

3) Buffalo - Von Miller
9) Dallas - Tyron Smith
25) Seattle Danny Watkins
27) Atlanta - Phil Taylor
30) NYJ - Aaron Williams

...is now out, and unfortunately subscription-required. I've been able to piece together some picks from various sources -- but not the Pats picks (yet).

Here's what we have so far:

3) Buffalo - Von Miller
9) Dallas - Tyron Smith
25) Seattle Danny Watkins
27) Atlanta - Phil Taylor
30) NYJ - Aaron Williams

Luckily, I have some connections. . . . :D

17. NE: Cameron Jordan [Watt goes at 16]
28. NE: Ryan Williams

Is this the first of three? He usually does one a couple of weeks before the draft, then he does one based on his rankings and team needs and the final (usually the afternoon of the draft) is his real draft prediction (usually spot on!)

Is this the first of three? He usually does one a couple of weeks before the draft, then he does one based on his rankings and team needs and the final (usually the afternoon of the draft) is his real draft prediction (usually spot on!)
Well, it's not his final, so he's fitting player "types" to team "needs or drafting preferences" rather then using his insider's password. Which is a terrible tragedy for the Cam Jordan fan club. :p

I have still yet to see Earl Thomas suit up for the Patriots. That's who he had us picking last year. FYI, Gosselin was wrong on 24 of the first rounders last year in his final mock. To his credit, he did have McCourty going in the first, No. 24 to the Eagles. I don't think many had McCourty that high entering the draft.

I have still yet to see Earl Thomas suit up for the Patriots. That's who he had us picking last year. FYI, Gosselin was wrong on 24 of the first rounders last year in his final mock. To his credit, he did have McCourty going in the first, No. 24 to the Eagles. I don't think many had McCourty that high entering the draft.

Maybe it is a good thing that Gosselin does not know BB's draft plans. He was in the ballpark but not exactly on target. Even BB does not know who he is going to draft beforehand but he must have 3-4 guys he is targeting for the first pick and then evaluates who he will take when they are on the clock. If the 3-4 are still there then he might trade down....if none are there then he definitely trades down.

I now have his full mock, which is based on his draft board of the top 32 players. Mock #2 will be based more on team needs. His final mock (on draft day) will be based on how he see's the draft playing out.

Notable:

• Only 2 QBs selected - Newton & Gabbert to CAR and AZ

• Ingram to the Fins (not sliding)

• 12 DL selected (DE/DT/NT)

Quotable:

Pencil in Ingram as offensive player of the year
Must be that bum knee...;)

Between Ingram & Ryan Williams, Gosselin seems bullish on the RB crop.

Peter King, by way of contrast, suggests that the Pats will try to trade down from #28 and will draft Ingram at #28 only if they don't get a deal they like.

Mike Lombardi is sure that Mallett goes in the top 14 - so we'll see who's right :)

NFL.com news: Don't be fooled by what teams say about draft prospects

I am betting that Mallett surprises and gets drafted BEFORE Gabbert and probably to the Cardinals

I see Gabbert falling unexpectedly to the Bengals or maybe as low as down to the Seahawks......barring any trading up that is.

Jake Locker....who could very well end up as the best QB of this sad bunch may be drafted in the early 30s and if NE takes a stab at him for their annual early WTF pick,it would NOT shock me in the least.

Last edited:
Gosselin is a terrific football writer. Can't see Ryan Williams at #28 though. First of all he could probably be had later on; mid-2nd round or so. Also has had trouble staying on the field at Va Tech.
So much of what they're doing with these visits is a smokescreen.
Ingram will be an interesting decision. He's been a great player and a very good citizen at Alabama. There's Belichick's coaching tie-in with Saban and from what I've heard, Ingram has the best "vision" of any RB in recent memory; probably something we overlook when talking about RB's but shouldn't.
The negative is a somewhat troublesome knee, and that's enough to scare the bejeezes out of any Coach or GM.
My guess is the Pats will trade both 28 and 33 and come away w/ additional 2nd's and 3rd's, along w/ a 2nd in 2012.

I don't think anybody would be sad if Earl Thomas suited up for the Pats. He's a heckuva safety. Luckily we got McCourty who looks to be a stud cornerback in the NFL for years to come. I had McCourty ranked as a late 1st rounder. His stock was clearly on the rise in the draft evaluation process. I thought CB was a luxury pick, but taking McCourty saved our 2010. Imagine losing Bodden and then having to start Butler/Arrington? Disaster!

IN any case Gosselin's 'final mock' is the one to look for. The ones this far out are more like exercises for him.

Last edited:
Gosselin has indicated that Mallett is not one the 32 best players in the draft. Does Lombardi disagree.

Gosselin's next mock will include team needs (and should include a 3rd quarteback).

Gosseline's fourth mock will include team needs, rumors and personal communication. This mock wil SURELY include more than two quartebacks.

Do you disagree?

Persally, I think that Mallett will go in the top 14, and is not a 1st round talent after off-the-field issues are factored in. So, I agree with both analysts.

Mike Lombardi is sure that Mallett goes in the top 14 - so we'll see who's right :)

NFL.com news: Don't be fooled by what teams say about draft prospects

Last edited:
What the Pats really want is to have a QB sitting there at 28 that several teams desire, be it Locker, Mallett or whoever. Regardless of visits to Foxboro, I don't think they have any intent on using a pick in the top 3 rounds on a QB.
After Newton and Gabbard, I'm hoping teams DON'T reach in the middle or late first, keeping the second-tier QB's available and maximizing New England's leverage.

Gosselin has indicated that Mallett is not one the 32 best players in the draft. Does Lombardi disagree.

Gosselin's next mock will include team needs (and should include a 3rd quarteback).

Gosseline's fourth mock will include team needs, rumors and personal communication. This mock wil SURELY include more than two quartebacks.

Do you disagree?
If he wants this to just be the top 32 players he should list them as such. He's asking for misunderstandings and doing himself a disservice if he does a mock draft that, by the way, isn't a mock draft. I know what you're saying and I don't disagree but when you put picks and teams next to team names . . . it is what it is. And if Mallett goes in the top 14 then as of 4/18/11, Lombardi would be right and Gosselin would be wrong.

Do you disagree?

Persally, I think that Mallett will go in the top 14, and is not a 1st round talent after off-the-field issues are factored in. So, I agree with both analysts.

Saw Mallett a lot the last two years and he has a huge arm. But he has a bad case of happy feet as well. I would not use a 1st on him, but because of the lockout, teams are sure to desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes