PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex's Press Conference re: Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, BB counts rings won as a DC too, as he named his boat 6 Rings.

BB was the Defensive Coordinator for teams that won because of defense. Rex and Rob Ryan weren't coordinators. They weren't even assistant coaches. They were position coaches.

Zero success?

Rex Ryan got Mark Sanchez to back-to-back AFCCGs. How is that zero success?
Are we hanging Championship Game participant banners?
Of course after that he proceeded to miss the playoffs 4 straight years, going 26-38.
Without Revis he was 19-30.
In the last 4 years, his 'scary' defense ranked 24,19,20,20 in points allowed.
Over that 4 years, they were a combined 21st in points allowed and 29th in takeaways. (And 24th in wins)

No, there was no real success there.
It just goes to show you that if you tell people you are great they want to believe you.

If we would like to compare Bill Belichick's Patriots have never been lower than 17th in points allowed since 2000. In other words Rex's defenses the last 4 years have been worse each year than any one that BB has trotted out there, by the metric that really matters.

I love hearing Rex talk, but he seems like an inverse Bill Parcells. Parcells was great at taking a down and out team and turning them around to be a playoff caliber team (if not outright making the playoffs).

Rex can take a talented team and get the most out of them (mostly defensively and he needs a strong OC to carry that side of the team) to make them contenders. but, his player evaluations seem to be that the teams success decreases as time wears on (Sorta like what Gruden did with Dungy's team in Tampa 2002).

I don't understand how he is 'getting the most out of them'. Aside from being handed a playoff spot by 2 teams not trying to win at the end of the season, he made the playoffs one time.
In his last 4 years he went 26-38, yes that is 6.5-9.5 coaching.
With Revis he was 27-20. Without Revis he was 19-30.

I guess you could say he was successful in not screwing up a team with Revis on it too bad, but beyond that he has been a failure.

Rex is a showman. He talks a big game.

I think we agree, though. Rex has had success in the NFL but actually being successful is very questionable and a strong case can be made is that he just isn't. Hell, he hasn't had a winning record since 2010.

I also think we agree, just took different paths to get there. I guess the other thing is he makes, yes makes his players shoot their mouths off. That's just poor. It would be one thing if his players said talk to coach. But it's not and now they have the potential to get embarrassed. That's not good coaching at all.

I also think we agree, just took different paths to get there. I guess the other thing is he makes, yes makes his players shoot their mouths off. That's just poor. It would be one thing if his players said talk to coach. But it's not and now they have the potential to get embarrassed. That's not good coaching at all.

It is interesting. If you look at the comments, his team isn't boasting about beating the Pats.

"I hate the Patriots."

"I want to cover Gronk"

"Gronk is a great actor."

"Brady should have been watching out game instead of going to the theater" (a couple of years ago)

They aren't saying we are gonna kick the Pats ass or they are wimps, etc.

They really aren't saying anything....

Brady today was sweet, "The Colts were getting pushed around pretty good."....Beautiful.

BB was the Defensive Coordinator for teams that won because of defense. Rex and Rob Ryan weren't coordinators. They weren't even assistant coaches. They were position coaches.

Am I misunderstanding this post? Rex was DC in Baltimore from 2005-2008.

I don't understand how he is 'getting the most out of them'. Aside from being handed a playoff spot by 2 teams not trying to win at the end of the season, he made the playoffs one time.

I guess you could say he was successful in not screwing up a team with Revis on it too bad, but beyond that he has been a failure.

You miss the larger point by dwelling on your continued focus on Revis ( 2nd time I saw the Revis argument made by you as to the reason the team made it to the playoff. how'd that work out for Tampa in 2013? ). Let me boil my thoughts down for you.
  1. Rex comes into a team with talented players on defense or signs them via draft/FA
  2. Mostly ignored the offense and focuses on Run with a QB who is serviceable or worse
  3. is a "players" coach and gets them amped up and believing for a season or two (with some success)
  4. Has poor drafts and success on offense and eventually gets in trouble with the cap
  5. Lasts a couple more seasons based on initial success and some end of season wins
  6. Moves on
Success for the Bills (and Jets) is/was making the playoffs. I realize we as Patriots fans have a different measure, but from other teams in the AFCE, post season appearances are almost as rare as apologies from the NFL*.

LMFOA! Rexy counting SB's won as an assistant coach to SB's won as a player or a HC!!! The Ryan family, therefore, is a DYNASTY!!!! :D

Mark Daniels‏@MarkDanielsPJ
Rex Ryan on people discrediting Bill Belichick and the Patriots:

This is classic. So he's counting his entire families Super Bowls as assistants AND he can't add.

I like Rex, I almost root for him to suceed but he keeps going to afc east teams, if he had got the forty nine job (by dikembe) I would root for him.

I think he sells tickets with his yapping. He (and Fraudger's one time rule change for SB locations) helped Woody dump all those PSL's on the unsuspecting Jets fans. I think many of them took a bath on that scam.

Rex is a loudmouth, just like his dear old dad. When he flaps his gums about players he goes way too far. That's why he's had multiple altercations with players on opposing teams.

"We're not going to concede anything. We're not going to be beat just because they [the Patriots] get off the bus, like some teams."

My favorite quote.

With time, Wrecks will make the Bills hate-able. It'll probably take him a while to collect enough miscreants, though. Incognito is a start.

wow, I have gained a lot of respect for Rex ! d%#*!@t, I wanted to hate him though, but I can't !

You're right........Rex is great. Question some of his time management, game decisions and overt loyalties, but he has great soundbites and he has strong media skills. He's good for Buffalo, they need someone like him to re-invigorate the fan base.

He's over matched and he knows it. Have to give him credit............. he keeps it interesting

That's a ludicrous requirement for 'success', to put it nicely.

So finishing second is a success in any aspect of life? It's commnendable, not successful. If you do anything and think second place is a success, I don't know what that truly says.

So finishing second is a success in any aspect of life? It's commnendable, not successful. If you do anything and think second place is a success, I don't know what that truly says.

According to you, Bill Belichick has only had 4 successful seasons as a head coach, and Brady's only had 4 successful seasons as a quarterback.

Brilliant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents