PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Ryan ~ Respect for a Worthy Adversary

Heard from bleachers in Fenway, "He's a bum!"

Look, Fatasaurus Rex had his chances. Sure, it's hard to win without a QB (just look at today's game. AZ has a better D than the Jets and can't do a thing without gifts).

But Rex had a hand in all of it. The poor personnel choices, the lack of consistency, the locker room run by the players, the colossal losses, the psychological damage his promises put upon his team when they couldn't deliver, the dramas, the soap operas, the Tebow skin showers.

Man to man, in a five minute blind interview hardly ANYONE would assume BB as a better choice for a head coach. But that only reminds where Rex made his hay - in the flashy, in the brief, in the ephemeral.

No doubt Rex provided entertainment. And that's the bottom line for the vast majority of NFL teams because enduring winning like the Pats have established is so very rare. Getting folks to watch is the key for general NFL success. So for the league Rex was a real boon. For the faithful Jets fans, not so much - in the end.

Last edited:
Given that his GMs were idiots, I can't anyone -outside of BB- doing any better. Yes, the Jets suck this year. That was the personnel. Seriously, name 1 Jet player that can start for us. Maybe competent back ups for the o-line. After Decker and maybe Harvin - who are depth- I can't think of many that make the 53 (although part of that is I don't follow the Jets.)

Yet they played us, and GB, close. Heck, they beat the Steelers. Maybe there was another reason behind their few successes -again, I do not follow the Jets. However the only one I see is the coach making - not chicken salad out of chicken bleep, maybe mock chicken salad (you know with Ritz crackers instead of lettuce :) ).

Of 32 NFL coaches, he is better than, say, 16 of them.
He led the team into the ground.
If you want to give him credit for losing some close games and winning 4 then you have to give that credit to all the other coaches.
He is 27-39 in the last 4 years.
Losers lose and blame the GM.

A big part of that has been his general manager giving him crap to work with. Secondly he's had not only bad QBs but QBs that consistently turn it over and that leads to those points. Given that roster it would have been a lot worse without his defensive schemes. I do think he needs the right job and OC to be a successful HC. If he takes Atlanta I think he'll be successful.

How does that explain 21st in points allowed and 29th in takeaways.

Blaming the GM is what a loser would do. He had 6 years to build a winner and ran it into the ground. Poor coaching has a lot more to do with it than blaming the draft.

How does that explain 21st in points allowed and 29th in takeaways.

Blaming the GM is what a loser would do. He had 6 years to build a winner and ran it into the ground. Poor coaching has a lot more to do with it than blaming the draft.

How many playoff game would Bill have won with the Jets QBs? Not many. Rex isn't half the HC and team builder that Bill is but to say he's not a good DC you're just letting your bias cloud your judgement. He didn't run it into the ground. The Jets business model over spent on high priced free agents and when the bill came due they have to purge the roster and really haven't rebuilt it.

There's a reason why by and large it's the same teams every year who are in contention. One they're lucky enough to have picked the right QB. Two they have an ownership group who gets it, puts the right people in place to run football operations. And finally third they pick the right head coach. If you don't have one and two you're screwed no matter how good of a head coach you are.

I hope Rex goes to Atlanta and gets a shot.

How many playoff game would Bill have won with the Jets QBs? Not many. Rex isn't half the HC and team builder that Bill is but to say he's not a good DC you're just letting your bias cloud your judgement. He didn't run it into the ground. The Jets business model over spent on high priced free agents and when the bill came due they have to purge the roster and really haven't rebuilt it.

There's a reason why by and large it's the same teams every year who are in contention. One they're lucky enough to have picked the right QB. Two they have an ownership group who gets it, puts the right people in place to run football operations. And finally third they pick the right head coach. If you don't have one and two you're screwed no matter how good of a head coach you are.

How is 21st in points and 29th in takeaways good defense?
The consistency is that good coaches win. Coaches create an identity in their teams. Rex created one where they crown themselves before doing anything and then proceed to fail. His locker room has sucked. He had 6 years to fix the offense.
Making excuses for him does not change that he failed and he is a loser.

I bet Sanchez might prove that he did have a qb if he had groomed him. It's no coincidence that Cassel and Hoyer have had some success.

1) Rex Ryan has been saddled with two bad GMs, two horrendous QBs, three lousy OCs, and an unending stream of poor talent. He just "needs a chance."

2) Rex Ryan is the one common denominator between decreasing team, offensive, and yes, defensive performance ... therefore it's a reasonable assumption that he's just not a very good coach.

Which is the more likely scenario?

How is 21st in points and 29th in takeaways good defense?
The consistency is that good coaches win. Coaches create an identity in their teams. Rex created one where they crown themselves before doing anything and then proceed to fail. His locker room has sucked. He had 6 years to fix the offense.
Making excuses for him does not change that he failed and he is a loser.

I addressed the 21st ranked defense with the roster while you chose to ignore my points and go back to that so I'm done after this. When he's had a decent roster he's done well. The Patriots were in the bottom third of the league in defense for 4 or 5 years running. Did Bill forget how to coach defense or did the defensive roster suck? You can't have it both ways.

He's never going to be a top coach like Bill Belichick, Parcells or Walsh nor did I claim he would be or could fix an offense. However he could put in the right system be a tier two like Sean Payton where he need a coordinator on the other side who's running things for him. You're saying he's not even a good DC which is BS. I think Tom Brady and Bill would side with me.

1) Rex Ryan has been saddled with two bad GMs, two horrendous QBs, three lousy OCs, and an unending stream of poor talent. He just "needs a chance."

2) Rex Ryan is the one common denominator between decreasing team, offensive, and yes, defensive performance ... therefore it's a reasonable assumption that he's just not a very good coach.

The truth is likely in the middle. Your #1 is a fact but I'd change "needs a chance" to "needs a situation with a QB and then brings in the right OC."

The truth is likely in the middle. Your #1 is a fact but I'd change "needs a chance" to "needs a situation with a QB and then brings in the right OC."

He got both QBs he wanted. He got the OCs he wanted, too. This is all a part of coaching.

I've said this a million times, and I never get a response once I do. If the argument is that Rex will only succeed if surrounded by elite talent at all levels, that's an admission that he's not a great coach and can't make players or teams better.

I addressed the 21st ranked defense with the roster while you chose to ignore my points and go back to that so I'm done after this. When he's had a decent roster he's done well. The Patriots were in the bottom third of the league in defense for 4 or 5 years running. Did Bill forget how to coach defense or did the defensive roster suck? You can't have it both ways.

He's never going to be a top coach like Bill Belichick, Parcells or Walsh nor did I claim he would be or could fix an offense. However he could put in the right system be a tier two like Sean Payton where he need a coordinator on the other side who's running things for him. You're saying he's not even a good DC which is BS. I think Tom Brady and Bill would side with me.
When were the Pats bottom third in points against for 4-5 years straight?

I addressed the 21st ranked defense with the roster while you chose to ignore my points and go back to that so I'm done after this. When he's had a decent roster he's done well.

So your answer is he is a good defensive coach despite his team being bad defensively because he shouldn't be expected to do well since he can blame the players? Doesn't that mean if he did well it's all because if the players?
I judge players and coaches by what they actually do not the excuses that can be made.

The Patriots were in the bottom third of the league in defense for 4 or 5 years running. [\quote]
Not in points. This is part of the Rex misunderstanding. He fights for good rankings while allowing boatloads of points. That is BAD defensive scheme.
Did Bill forget how to coach defense or did the defensive roster suck? You can't have it both ways. [\quote]
Look at points allowed takeaways and wins. That is what matters. That is what wins games.

Explain to me what backs up that he is a top defensive coach. When has he consistently coaches too defenses. Don't give me yardage rankings because yardage rankings at the expense if points allowed and not taking the ball away is exactly why he is the most overrated defensive coach in the NFL.

2 obviously.
Everyone else around me sucks is what a loser says.

I bet Sanchez might prove that he did have a qb if he had groomed him. It's no coincidence that Cassel and Hoyer have had some success.
His GM traded up to 5th to get the an Rex wanted and until his last breath still said he wanted.
That QB never progressed at all. How dies the HC NYJ not be held accountable?
Maybe wade Phillips is the GOAT HC and it was all the GMs fault he failed.
We know he is a better defensive coach than Rex.

You think that having 13 games to coach against the patriots losing most of them allowing over 28 ppg is the sign of a great defensive coach because he had a few good games out of 13?
Your bar is set very low.

You think that having 13 games to coach against the patriots losing most of them allowing over 28 ppg is the sign of a great defensive coach because he had a few good games out of 13?
Your bar is set very low.

In how many of those games where the Jets favored? I'd say probably none. In how many of those games did he have the superior QB? Definitely none. He allowed an average of 28, did the Patriots average more than 28 during that time? Without a doubt. He once again held them under their average this year twice with literally sh!t in the secondary.

Everything isn't as cut and dry as you always try to make it. I've acknowledged tons of Rex's faults but by your description he's Rich Kotite/

His GM traded up to 5th to get the an Rex wanted and until his last breath still said he wanted.
That QB never progressed at all. How dies the HC NYJ not be held accountable?
Maybe wade Phillips is the GOAT HC and it was all the GMs fault he failed.
We know he is a better defensive coach than Rex.

No knowledge of the proper place of the pick, but i would say Sanchez regressed under Rex. He had a lot of good traits early in his career IMO.

Bottom line to me is, Rex planned all year for us and devised some good defensive schemes. Besides that, he was a loudmouth clown who wouldn't have made a ripple in our consciousness otherwise. Good defensive coach, lousy head coach, and not even that good at number 1 without Revis.

In how many of those games where the Jets favored? I'd say probably none. In how many of those games did he have the superior QB? Definitely none. He allowed an average of 28, did the Patriots average more than 28 during that time? Without a doubt. He once again held them under their average this year twice with literally sh!t in the secondary.

Everything isn't as cut and dry as you always try to make it. I've acknowledged tons of Rex's faults but by your description he's Rich Kotite/
So your argument is that he isn't supposed to win? 28 points a game allowed is good? Why does being favored mean anything? A good coach coaches his team to win and be favored.
Judge Rex by his accomplishments. He is not good. I have never considered anyone good at something when they do poorly but people make excuses.
Please list all of the great things that he has done to show that he is a good coach.

No knowledge of the proper place of the pick, but i would say Sanchez regressed under Rex. He had a lot of good traits early in his career IMO.

Bottom line to me is, Rex planned all year for us and devised some good defensive schemes. Besides that, he was a loudmouth clown who wouldn't have made a ripple in our consciousness otherwise. Good defensive coach, lousy head coach, and not even that good at number 1 without Revis.

At best he was an average defensive coach against us.

I hate to bring back this old chestnut, Everlong, but BB won 11 NFL games with Matt Cassell at the helm at a time when he hadn't started ANY kind of football game since HS. You see people aren't saying Rex is a BAD coach, just not a good one for the job description of head NFL football coach.

To be a good coach, you not only have to win an occasional big game, you have to win consistently, over the years. Did you forget that after the 2010 loss, BB threw something line 3 or 4 straight 30 burgers on him. Rex has had a LOT of those kinds of games as well.vs other teams

If all you needed to be a HC was to be liked and draw up an OCCASIONALLY brilliant game plan, then Rex would still have a job. But unfortunately for him the job requires a myriad of skills that Rex either doesn't have or doesn't feel that they are important enough to improve at. Among them being unimportant things like, sideline management, knowing what's going on in your locker room, personnel acquisition, roster building, player development, and accountability.

Rex was given one of the best top to bottom rosters in the league and was at the controls while it deteriorated into one of the 5 worst rosters. His job was to take Mark Sanchez and develop him into something that he could build with, not hope someone else would and then throw him under the bus, first chance he got.

Kudo's for Rex for those 2 AFCCG's, but lets not forget he had teams good enough to have won at least one of them.....and didn't. Aside from that he was more than a little lucky in that first year. But that's OK, so was BB in 2001. The HUGE difference is BB continued to elevate his game and sustain a level of excellence far beyond his peers, while Rex found his level, and that level is less than mediocre on so many levels.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back