PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex less than thrilled with refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 2 "holds" by Dennard that helped the Jets advance. One was completely made up. The other was barely anything. He didn't even move the Jersey.
The Jets touchdown was basically a ref gimme with all the penalties. But they lost, so who really cares.

Chandler Jones gets held more than Ines Sainz at jests practice camp.

There were 2 "holds" by Dennard that helped the Jets advance. One was completely made up. The other was barely anything. He didn't even move the Jersey.
The Jets touchdown was basically a ref gimme with all the penalties. But they lost, so who really cares.

A team has 80 yards to go with 60 seconds left and they need a TD.

Why not hold the whole way downfield?

At 6 seconds a play for 5 yards a pop, that's 10 plays or 50 yards.

Time runs out with the opposition on the 30 yard line.

Just have to make sure EVERY receiver gets held.

He wouldn't have made he tackle, and it wasn't really a hold. He just had his arm across the body.

He grabbed his jersey and stopped his momentum. He would have had him.

Refs aren't inconsistent in the sense that people who criticize them like to pretend. That is, they are not calling things they see one place but not others.

The bottom line is that you can only call what you see. This stuff happens fast.

Whenever I see threads like this, which conflate non-calls with calls, it occurs to me that every football fan could really benefit by trying to call one high school flag football game. The argument "how could they call it against X when they didn't call it against Y" always has the unspoken premise that they saw it and didn't call it. That's just not how it works. These guys are the best of the best, but they are far short of robots.

The call on Lloyd and the call on PI in overtime both looked correct to me. Lloyd's was more obvious. I'm glad we got the PI call, because that's one that can get missed and often does. It had to be called by a guy 35 yards away because the side judge was watching out of bounds. That's pretty lucky, because he has a lot of responsibility, and it happens he was looking in the right place. If there had been another receiver coming toward his area or any action at all along the sideline where he had to watch for receivers going OOB, that call wouldn't get made.

It's not a matter of seeing it or not seeing it. It's a matter of consistency. Why? Because the players are isolated one on one, there is no blocking of what the ref sees.

Now, I agree with you that both calls are iffy. They are 50/50 calls.

But everyone in the stadium saw the play, it was clear. The ref is right there, he saw it. That doesn't mean it was definitely a penalty when Hill did it, but the point is, the ref needs to be consistent.

A team has 80 yards to go with 60 seconds left and they need a TD.

Why not hold the whole way downfield?

At 6 seconds a play for 5 yards a pop, that's 10 plays or 50 yards.

Time runs out with the opposition on the 30 yard line.

Just have to make sure EVERY receiver gets held.

As long as you let go before the ball is thrown. Otherwise you giving away big chunks of yardage.

rex's playcalling in the red zone on that 3rd and 1 was ******ed, he only has himself to blame

and then not going for it, but taking the fg......no killer instinct there

I'd like to see the replay of the PI called on Wilson vs. Hernandez, if someone can get a gif or link a replay.

I think the CBS announcers totally missed the fact that while the ref downfield was indeed the first to throw a flag, there were in fact two refs who threw a flag, including the side judge nearest the play. The side judge just seemed to have a very difficult time getting the flag out of his pocket, so it came out late. This happens.

It was also one of the most obvious PI calls you will ever see, with Wilson literally holding Hernandez's arm as he was trying to stop and turn for the ball.

Last edited:
if you watched the replay, the ref grabbed his flag immediately. it wasn't a delayed reaction. He was so far away from the play however (20 yards) that it looked delayed.

Yeah they showed an awesome replay of it right after the call. You clearly see the ref throwing the flag right away.

Chandler Jones gets held more than Ines Sainz at jests practice camp.

I saw one play where Ferguson had his hand pushing Jones' head so far back that I though it would snap off, but there was no illegal hands to the face call to be found.

If what Lloyd did was PI, then a new pen. needs to be invented for what Moss did most of the time in his prime "Pass Assult"

The Refs made Green drop that ball that floated into his hands? The refs took that awful sack from Ninkovich and coughed up the ball to end the game?

I missed all that...is there anyway we can voluntarily forfeit?

The Refs made Green drop that ball that floated into his hands? The refs took that awful sack from Ninkovich and coughed up the ball to end the game?

I missed all that...is there anyway we can voluntarily forfeit?

Nope, but they didn't bail them out of those situations by making up a call... It's one thing for a fan to take the stance that every call against that impacts the game shouldn't have been made and every time you need a call something should be called; we're supposed to be ignorant, blind homers. A coach or player expressing that point of view is a problem. No matter how much blustering Rex does this stuff shows his true colors. It's absurd that a professional would complain about officials when the best even the fan base can do is complain about the officials not flagging BB for throwing a challenge flag. Every other "point" brought up by their side is complaining about the officials correctly applying the rules. This was a poorly officiated game, but it cut both ways; the Jets probably wouldn't have been in a situation where a call or two could've helped them win if a call or two didn't help them get back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes