PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex less than thrilled with refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this is that on the previous drive, Stephen Hill committed OPI on a crucial 3rd down against Dennard, and it wasn't called. but they turn around and correctly call it on Lloyd sending the Patriots to 2 and 20?

I agree they blew the Stephen Hill call, sometimes refs miss a call. Doesn't mean that what Lloyd did wasn't PI.

no matter how blatantly bad a call is, you will never hear the coach who benefits complain, so they should all just shut up

The refs did suck...for the patriots. That PI on Lloyd? It was almost like a manning vs pats colts game from yesteryear

That was a very clear push-off on Lloyd.

I can kind of agree with him on the critical pass interference in OT on Aaron Hernandez. I actually do agree with the call, but it looks really bad when the flag comes well after the completion of the play. It wreaks of home field advantage as if the ref finally threw the flag not as a reaction to the play itself, but instead a reaction of the crowd.

Now that I think of it (sorry, I'm sure this has been mentioned a few times) but there was a big penalty on a Mark Sanchez third down run. The offensive lineman was called for holding. The replay actually showed that he never held the guy. It looked like he 'intended to' but he never did. Just as Chandler Jones intended to trip Sanchez, it should have resulted in a non call. I can see why Rex would be pissed off about that.

Jets fans are less than thrilled with the refs. They are peissed off that the refs don't have a complete and total misunderstanding of what constitutes a reception and they should have ignore the rules and reviewed the obvious TD by Gronk when he hit the ground.

Gronk's 1st TD - Jets Insider.com Forums

Do these morons know the ball can hit the ground and as long as the receiver has control of the ball, it is a reception? A quick look at the replay, Gronk clearly maintained possession of the ball through the catch.

Last edited:
Wilson interfered on the next 3rd down play as well but this time it wasn't called. It was a blatant mugging both times.

The second instance was even worse than the first. :eek:

I can kind of agree with him on the critical pass interference in OT on Aaron Hernandez. I actually do agree with the call, but it looks really bad when the flag comes well after the completion of the play. It wreaks of home field advantage as if the ref finally threw the flag not as a reaction to the play itself, but instead a reaction of the crowd.

They actually showed a replay on that, and the downfield official was trying to throw the flag immediately, but he kind of double-clutched. Had to toss the thing 25+ yards after all :) Anyhow, it wasn't a reaction to the crowd, he definitely saw PI on the play.

Wah Wah, we've been getting jobbed all year by the refs. I was telling my brother yesterday I've given up on the holding calls. Every game I see at least 3 instances where a Patriot D lineman is in a choke hold by the opposing offensive line and they never throw a flag and here Rex is *****ing about legit calls. Shove it up your ass, Rex.

I agree they blew the Stephen Hill call, sometimes refs miss a call. Doesn't mean that what Lloyd did wasn't PI.

The problem is that, late in the game, you HAVE to be consistent. If you're not, then you as a ref DECIDE games.

Those two calls were huge swings.

If the Hill push-off happened in the 3rd and Lloyd was called in the 4th, we might not have this discussion. On consecutive series, those calls and non-calls are huge, especially late in the 4th quarter.

Referees simply cannot do that. there must have been some consideration that Hill had pushed off in the refs' minds, so they should swallow the whistle if it's close on the next drive.

I mean, Phil Simms noticed it. he mentioned Hill pushing off.

Wah Wah, we've been getting jobbed all year by the refs. I was telling my brother yesterday I've given up on the holding calls. Every game I see at least 3 instances where a Patriot D lineman is in a choke hold by the opposing offensive line and they never throw a flag and here Rex is *****ing about legit calls. Shove it up your ass, Rex.

Chandler J. has either arms around his neck in a chokehold or else hands grabbing his facemask from underneath and his head cranked backward.

Never gets any calls.

if you watched the replay, the ref grabbed his flag immediately. it wasn't a delayed reaction. He was so far away from the play however (20 yards) that it looked delayed.

Tripplette's crew is usually pretty bad, and I did think the Patriots got the better of a poorly called game. Some of the PI's, and certainly the hold on the Sanchez run, were pretty ticky tacky/phantom.

That's football, though. The Jets had a chance to make the officials a moot point, and they didn't.

Now that I think of it (sorry, I'm sure this has been mentioned a few times) but there was a big penalty on a Mark Sanchez third down run. The offensive lineman was called for holding. The replay actually showed that he never held the guy. It looked like he 'intended to' but he never did. Just as Chandler Jones intended to trip Sanchez, it should have resulted in a non call. I can see why Rex would be pissed off about that.

he did hold him

He grabbed his jersey.

You could tell because Jones' momentum was stopped.

Had he not held him, Jones tackles Sanchez. simple as that. Clear hold.

It doesn't matter that he only held him a split second. That's true. But he held him enough to give Sanchez the advantage.

Clear penalty.

You say he never held the guy, yet the replay shows him grabbing jersey and stopping Jones' momentum.

he did hold him

He grabbed his jersey.

You could tell because Jones' momentum was stopped.

Had he not held him, Jones tackles Sanchez. simple as that. Clear hold.

It doesn't matter that he only held him a split second. That's true. But he held him enough to give Sanchez the advantage.

Clear penalty.

You say he never held the guy, yet the replay shows him grabbing jersey and stopping Jones' momentum.

He wouldn't have made he tackle, and it wasn't really a hold. He just had his arm across the body.

Chandler J. has either arms around his neck in a chokehold or else hands grabbing his facemask from underneath and his head cranked backward.

Never gets any calls.
He got one yesterday, maybe this is the beginning of those penalties being called. If we get 1 out of 3, we'd be doing significantly better on defense.

crybaby.jpg

Tripplette's crew is usually pretty bad, and I did think the Patriots got the better of a poorly called game. Some of the PI's, and certainly the hold on the Sanchez run, were pretty ticky tacky/phantom.

That's football, though. The Jets had a chance to make the officials a moot point, and they didn't.

I believe there was only one called against the Jets all game... There was also a defensive holding... There were 0 calls for illegal contact... So some of the 1 call was ticky-tacky? Or some of the 2 calls if you're lumping in the holding one? The calls were only ticky-tacky in relation to the blatant illegal contact, holding, and PI that were being allowed all game long. Do you honestly think allowing that stuff favors the Pats? This doesn't even take into account that the Pats got called for 5 defensive holds/illegal contacts, none more egregious that what was being allowed all game. I didn't notice the hold by the Jets on that one play nor did I notice the one called against the Pats offense, but again with the blatant offensive holding going on anything called could be considered ticky-tacky.

Are we talking on the first and 10 late in the fourth? That looked like a good call to me. Lloyd extended his arm into the receiver, which a WR should know they can't do.

On another note, I have no idea why Jets fans think that PI in the fourth quarter was incorrectly called. Wilson was practically holding onto Hernandez' left arm as the ball was coming in. The story shouldn't be about why a ref 20 yards down field threw the flag, but why the one watching Wilson hold Hernandez didn't throw his.

There were some close calls throughout the game, but it was pretty even handed and pretty well called overall.
That call was a perfect example of what was wrong with those officials last night. Not that they got that call wrong, but the same official allowed Hill to push off Dennard in a much more blatant manner just the series before that led to a Jet TD.

My question is how can he call the play on Lloyd and while ignoring the play on Hill?

Another example is on the Play Cromartie almost intercepted Brady's long pass, he was clearly grabbing the receiver's jersey long before the ball got there. Even the idiot announcers commented on it. Again I can see how it might not get called and I'm good with it, but in the same vein, why was Dowling called for doing the same thing.

INCONSISTENCY - That's what kills the game for coaches and why they get pissed. They just don't know what is a penalty and what isn't from play to play

Refs aren't inconsistent in the sense that people who criticize them like to pretend. That is, they are not calling things they see one place but not others.

The bottom line is that you can only call what you see. This stuff happens fast.

Whenever I see threads like this, which conflate non-calls with calls, it occurs to me that every football fan could really benefit by trying to call one high school flag football game. The argument "how could they call it against X when they didn't call it against Y" always has the unspoken premise that they saw it and didn't call it. That's just not how it works. These guys are the best of the best, but they are far short of robots.

The call on Lloyd and the call on PI in overtime both looked correct to me. Lloyd's was more obvious. I'm glad we got the PI call, because that's one that can get missed and often does. It had to be called by a guy 35 yards away because the side judge was watching out of bounds. That's pretty lucky, because he has a lot of responsibility, and it happens he was looking in the right place. If there had been another receiver coming toward his area or any action at all along the sideline where he had to watch for receivers going OOB, that call wouldn't get made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes