PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rex Burkhead [UPDATE: ACL not believed to be torn!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates on his injury? Really, really hope it wasn't a torn ACL. He had that mixed type of play that was between Gillislee and Lewis. And definitely worked hard for the yards.

really strange we havent heard anything. if it was an acl I wouldve thought we wouldve heard right away like with wentz/edelman etc.

hoping for the best

Dion has been very good lately IMO and deserves the lead back role for now. I'm fine with Gillislie getting some reps but right now the job is Lewis' to lose until Burkhead returns.

4 weeks till the first playoff game (barring us dropping them 3 seed). Gill can fill in and help us beat buff/nyj, big task

For once it seems the 17 Patriots dodged an injury bullet

Dion has been very good lately IMO and deserves the lead back role for now. I'm fine with Gillislie getting some reps but right now the job is Lewis' to lose until Burkhead returns.

Lewis is the lead back, primarily running the ball/not catching passes (though any given Sunday he may see some bump in his targets especially like a Miami game where need for targets was desparate). Burk is the tweener back (more targets, less carries).
I think the averages (??) over the last couple months probably are Lewis around the 1 to 2 pass targets a game with 15 carries where Burk has been around 10 carries but closer to 4 pass targets.

Here's the problem: Gill can't fill the Burk role and we can't have Lewis taking 20+ carries and 4 or 5 pass targets. If Gill is going to be used then he'll be the 'takes handoffs' back role while Lewis will be the less carries but more pass targets role (I assume they won't change White's role).

Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how Lewis can be used the same way he has been used the last 2 months. Unless the plan is to run it 30 times against Buff, I'd expect to see Lewis getting less carries (hopefully the game is salted away mid 4th and we can give a steady diet of Gill at that point).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey