PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
can anybody remember how much revis got in Tampa guaranteed money since he was ct, also are the pats on the hook for 5 million if they cut revis??? Thanks

By memory, none of it was guaranteed.

can anybody remember how much revis got in Tampa guaranteed money since he was ct, also are the pats on the hook for 5 million if they cut revis??? Thanks
With Tampa Bay, Revis had the following:
$13,000,000 base salary
$2,000,000 roster bonus
$1,000,000 workout bonus
$16,000,000 cap figure
$3,000,000 dead money

With the Patriots, Revis has $5,000,000 in pro-rated signing bonus remaining.
So yes, the Pats would have $5,000,000 in dead money if he is cut (or traded).
The net cap savings would be $20,000,000 if he is cut (or traded).

No matter what happens the $5 million signing bonus proration will be on the Patriots 2015 cap

Thatbis what I thought which I don't think he is going anywhere are we really going to pay 5 million to watch revis play with buffalo or the jets ?

Thatbis what I thought which I don't think he is going anywhere are we really going to pay 5 million to watch revis play with buffalo or the jets ?
It's something NE knew going in could happen. Revis protected himself by putting in this $25M cap hit this year and pro-rating the signing bonus over two years (which is why there's $5M due this year). NE spread the money over two years to lessen the cap hit this past year and Revis' team tacked on a very high salary to it.

Well, Revis wanted $16mil a year... he took $12mil last year, so they put $20mil for the second year to average out.

That's why I've never thought he was coming back, UNLESS the Pats swallowed hard and picked up the $20mil. He went in like a mercenary (for which I don't begrudge him... you gotta earn your dough fast in the NFL), and I figured he'd go out like a mercenary.

with pats cutting wilfork I dont see Revis leaving IMO

Hope he's right! Reiss feels the opposite (that Revis will hit the market, which of course doesn't preclude him from coming back to NE):

kais1man (NYC)
Mike so your expectation is that no Revis deal gets done before March 10th?

Mike
That is my expectation. I'm not even sure if they've even gotten down to talking about hard-core numbers at this point. There's a lot of strategy that goes into negotiations. I wouldn't read too much into that one way or the other.

Further down in the chat Reiss also says
Mike Reiss said:
I fully believe this: I don't think the Patriots know right know if they will be able to get a deal done with Revis based on where things stand right now. So it's hard for me to chat with you and say, "They'll get it done", when I truly think it's an unknown at this point.

I will hope that Reiss is very wrong :)

There would be nothing sweeter than seeing Revis go to Canton as a Patriot.

Well, Revis wanted $16mil a year... he took $12mil last year, so they put $20mil for the second year to average out.

That's why I've never thought he was coming back, UNLESS the Pats swallowed hard and picked up the $20mil. He went in like a mercenary (for which I don't begrudge him... you gotta earn your dough fast in the NFL), and I figured he'd go out like a mercenary.

I had heard Patriots offered Revis a multi-year contract, and Revis declined, and wanted 1-year contract.
Not sure of the numbers in terms of the multi-year contract... can someone verify this?

No matter what happens the $5 million signing bonus proration will be on the Patriots 2015 cap
If the Patriots pick up the option, what are the timing restrictions for working out an extension? You know BB does not want to leave $5mil on the table for nothing (it would only cost $15M more max to keep him?).

If the Patriots pick up the option, what are the timing restrictions for working out an extension? You know BB does not want to leave $5mil on the table for nothing (it would only cost $15M more max to keep him?).

No, if they pick up the option, they're on the hook for $20 million more this year, not $15 million more.

I had heard Patriots offered Revis a multi-year contract, and Revis declined, and wanted 1-year contract.
Not sure of the numbers in terms of the multi-year contract... can someone verify this?

I would be shocked if anybody heard that from a reliable source who actually knows how the negotiations went down. The Pats are never going to share details of player negotiations like that and Revis has been extremely careful to keep his teams' lips zipped as well.

IMO, both parties last year were only going to do a multi-year deal at those dollars after they had worked with each other. Revis had to find out if he clicked with Belichick. Belichick is only going to pay those dollars to a player who is the best in the league at his position AND a Patriots guy leader.

I think they were both very smart to do the deal they did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes