PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Manny traded to the LA Dodgers

OK, I'm now convinced that Theo was in charge of the last Pats draft......

Manny for bay straight up, I could have lived with, but by throwing in Hansen and Moss, that is absolutely horrible!!!

Plus word now is THAT THE SOX ARE GIONG TO PAY MANNY'S SALARY FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR!!!

They should have kept him, and sent him home ala TO if he didn't play, at the very least that way, they woudl have gotten the 2 sandwich picks.

Instead, they deal away Moss, who I would much rather see play than CoCo, or at the very least, could have gotten you Mahay from KC.

Hansen is very young, and has a 97 mph fastball, and we just sent him away for NOTHING!!!!

Bay is not a pull hitter, take a look at his hit chart:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_hitting_chart.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=424726&statType=1

I am not sure what you are looking at, but all but 3 of Bay's homers are to the LEFT of the 399 mark. Now, GRANTED, he flies out mostly when he tried to go the other way. He also hits a ton of grounders to the LEFT side.

I'm not sure how you can sit there and say, with a straight face, that Bay ISN'T a pull hitter when its clear, by your own link, that he is.

now check out his career:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_hitting_chart.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=424726&statType=1

How many of those homers would be fly ball outs in Fenway?

ALmost no homers down the left field line, and all thos left center homers at PNC, will bounce off the wall. At best he will be another double hitter,

Papi take your base now.

And you know that those left center homers will just "bounce off the wall" because you've just watched SOOOOOO many of Bay's games at PNC.

Tell me something. What the hell were you saying when the Sox signed an heavy-set, mediocre fielding firstbaseman who'd never hit more than 20 homeruns or 75 RBIs in his previous 8 seasons prior to getting to the Sox? I bet you were one of those guys lamenting the signing. BTW, the 1B was Big Papi. I'm not saying Bay will do the same, but it would be nice if people gave the guy a chance before crapping all over him.

OH, and, BTW, how the hell can you sit there and judge the Pats draft when none of them have touched the field? Damn you are getting like NEM.

Last edited:
So as the dust settles, the Dodgers get a first ballot HOF player for two months and don't owe him a nickel, giving up one very good prospect and one so so one, the Pirates get said prospects plus Hansen and Moss (four players, man did they clean up) and the Red Sox give away two players and Manny and pay his contract all for a guy who the jury is still out on and will have the weight of the world on his shoulders as he tries to replace a HOF guy, fair or not he's up against it.

And the Red Sox brass expect Red Sox nation to buy this; it's a huge sh!t sandwhich and they expect all of us to take a bite.

No thanks, this deal gets worse the more I look at it and sleeping on it ain't gonna make it any better.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are looking at, but all but 3 of Bay's homers are to the LEFT of the 399 mark. Now, GRANTED, he flies out mostly when he tried to go the other way. He also hits a ton of grounders to the LEFT side.

I'm not sure how you can sit there and say, with a straight face, that Bay ISN'T a pull hitter when its clear, by your own link, that he is.

now check out his career:

And you know that those left center homers will just "bounce off the wall" because you've just watched SOOOOOO many of Bay's games at PNC.

Tell me something. What the hell were you saying when the Sox signed an heavy-set, mediocre fielding firstbaseman who'd never hit more than 20 homeruns or 75 RBIs in his previous 8 seasons prior to getting to the Sox? I bet you were one of those guys lamenting the signing. BTW, the 1B was Big Papi. I'm not saying Bay will do the same, but it would be nice if people gave the guy a chance before crapping all over him.

OH, and, BTW, how the hell can you sit there and judge the Pats draft when none of them have touched the field? Damn you are getting like NEM.

How many times do we have to get raped by the Pirates, until you people realize that their players suck?

Let's harken back to the Jeff Suppan trade shall we.

Bay is pretty much Branden Moss, Moss will put up THE SAME EXACT NUMBERS IN PITTSBURG, wait and see. NO WAY Bay does anything close to manny. Listen to any talk show do you hear who is calling up, YANKEE FANS, delighted that Manny will no longer be crushing them.

I'm sorry, but this is the same hatchet job, done by the same people, as Nomar got. All of a sudden he was impossible to deal with. If the Sox are soooo smart and Manny is soo dumb, how did he just get them to grant him his wish?

If I told you yesterday that the Sox were going to trade Manny, Moss, and Hansen (plus pay all of Manny's remaining salary) for Bay, you would have told me I was on drugs.

This deal is horid, if they felt like that had to get rid of Manny, than get rid of him, get a catching prosepct, get some bullpen relief, instead they hurt the bullpen, traded away a prospect who cuold have gotten you more bullpen help, and made this team much worse.

ps, I've had MLB Extra innings for years, and check in on the Mets almost every night, so yes, I have seen plenty of games at PNC. Manny seems to like hitting there: 6-10 with 2 doubles, and 2 homers.

"How many times do we have to get raped by the Pirates, until you people realize that their players suck?" Too funny, dead on correct.

"Let's harken back to the Jeff Suppan trade shall we." For Freddy Sanchez, who turned out to be a pretty good player, an all star if I am not mistaken.

"Bay is pretty much Branden Moss, Moss will put up THE SAME EXACT NUMBERS IN PITTSBURG, wait and see. NO WAY Bay does anything close to manny." I wouldn't go that far, the kid was rookie of the year in 2004 and has some pop, Moss is a fourth outfielder at best.

"Listen to any talk show do you hear who is calling up, YANKEE FANS, delighted that Manny will no longer be crushing them." Agreed, although the Go Go Yankees, on fire after the all star break, have crashed back to earth, losing two of three to the Orioles (explain why this chicken sh!t team torments the Red Sox AND the Yankees yet finishes in last place in the AL East every friggin year) and getting hammered by the 2008 WS Champs, the Angels.

"I'm sorry, but this is the same hatchet job, done by the same people, as Nomar got. All of a sudden he was impossible to deal with. If the Sox are soooo smart and Manny is soo dumb, how did he just get them to grant him his wish?" Just Manny being Manny.

"If I told you yesterday that the Sox were going to trade Manny, Moss, and Hansen (plus pay all of Manny's remaining salary) for Bay, you would have told me I was on drugs." Yes I would, the trade blows chunks.

"This deal is horid, if they felt like that had to get rid of Manny, than get rid of him, get a catching prosepct, get some bullpen relief, instead they hurt the bullpen, traded away a prospect who cuold have gotten you more bullpen help, and made this team much worse." A big market team getting it's ass handed to them by a rinky dink team from Pittsburg. Everyone wins here except the Red Sox; Manny gets out from under his last two years at 20 mill per (oh the horror Manny, I'd want to bail on 40 mill too...), the Dodgers rent a HOF player and it doesn't cost them a dime, they had to give up two prospects, the Pirates got FOUR players, two prospects and two MLB players and the Sox traded away a legend in the middle of a pennant race and made a horid bullpen weaker.

Way to go Theo you dweeb. Caught lightning in a bottle with the Nomar trade, not this time.

So as the dust settles, the Dodgers get a first ballot HOF player for two months and don't owe him a nickel, giving up one very good prospect and one so so one, the Pirates get said prospects plus Hansen and Moss (four players, man did they clean up) and the Red Sox give away two players and Manny and pay his contract all for a guy who the jury is still out on and will have the weight of the world on his shoulders as he tries to replace a HOF guy, fair or not he's up against it.

And the Red Sox brass expect Red Sox nation to buy this; it's a huge sh!t sandwhich and they expect all of us to take a bite.

No thanks, this deal gets worse the more I look at it and sleeping on it ain't gonna make it any better.

Ugh, this is a joke. Manny is not going to be a HOF caliber player much longer, and he's too expensive considering his bat is outweighed by his attitude and terrible defense. We give away Hansen (who sucks) and Moss (who isn't replacing anyone in the OF) and in return get a younger, cheaper and one of the most underrated players in baseball.

And how exactly is Bay unproven? Please feel free to back up your assertion with facts. Here, I'll start:

2004: 61 R /26 HR/ 82 RBI/ .282 AVG (in 120 games)
2005: 110 R/32 HR/101 RBI/ .302 AVG
2006: 101 R/35 HR/105 RBI/ .286 AVG
2007: 78 R/21 HR/ 84 RBI/ .247 AVG (in 145 games)
2008: 72 R/22 HR/64 RBI/.282 AVG

He plays in a much weaker lineup and the best division in the NL with some exceptional pitching. And he's 13 million dollars cheaper. Theo hit a home run with this one, sorry.

Last edited:
"How many times do we have to get raped by the Pirates, until you people realize that their players suck?" Too funny, dead on correct.

"Let's harken back to the Jeff Suppan trade shall we." For Freddy Sanchez, who turned out to be a pretty good player, an all star if I am not mistaken.

"Bay is pretty much Branden Moss, Moss will put up THE SAME EXACT NUMBERS IN PITTSBURG, wait and see. NO WAY Bay does anything close to manny." I wouldn't go that far, the kid was rookie of the year in 2004 and has some pop, Moss is a fourth outfielder at best.

"Listen to any talk show do you hear who is calling up, YANKEE FANS, delighted that Manny will no longer be crushing them." Agreed, although the Go Go Yankees, on fire after the all star break, have crashed back to earth, losing two of three to the Orioles (explain why this chicken sh!t team torments the Red Sox AND the Yankees yet finishes in last place in the AL East every friggin year) and getting hammered by the 2008 WS Champs, the Angels.

"I'm sorry, but this is the same hatchet job, done by the same people, as Nomar got. All of a sudden he was impossible to deal with. If the Sox are soooo smart and Manny is soo dumb, how did he just get them to grant him his wish?" Just Manny being Manny.

"If I told you yesterday that the Sox were going to trade Manny, Moss, and Hansen (plus pay all of Manny's remaining salary) for Bay, you would have told me I was on drugs." Yes I would, the trade blows chunks.

"This deal is horid, if they felt like that had to get rid of Manny, than get rid of him, get a catching prosepct, get some bullpen relief, instead they hurt the bullpen, traded away a prospect who cuold have gotten you more bullpen help, and made this team much worse." A big market team getting it's ass handed to them by a rinky dink team from Pittsburg. Everyone wins here except the Red Sox; Manny gets out from under his last two years at 20 mill per (oh the horror Manny, I'd want to bail on 40 mill too...), the Dodgers rent a HOF player and it doesn't cost them a dime, they had to give up two prospects, the Pirates got FOUR players, two prospects and two MLB players and the Sox traded away a legend in the middle of a pennant race and made a horid bullpen weaker.

Way to go Theo you dweeb. Caught lightning in a bottle with the Nomar trade, not this time.

These quotes are all stupid. Moss is an unproven prospect with a smaller ceiling on his potential than what Bay has already shown he can produce. Moss will never be good enough to start in a Red Sox OF. Quoting Pink hats isn't the way to go here.

He plays in the National League, aka, the Junior Varsity on a team that sucks bad gas and has so for years, so no, I am not bowled over by him or his numbers.

Clemens looked like Cy Young when he pitched for the Astros, or don't you recall? Bronson looked like a man possessed when he started out with the Reds and he sucks.

Comparing someones numbers from the NL vs an AL player is apples to hand grenades. Manny is going to tear a new ******* into the NL over the next two months. Your "Manny's in decline" comment is assinine.

i was a Manny apologist no longer . we are talking about a guy who the players didn't want on the team anymore. this is a guy who faked injury this year. had mri on both knees and both were negative. and he seemed to run great in the second yankee game when he blew past damorlo hail the sox third base coach.the sox had to threaten the guy to get him to play. Manny was doing the hatchet job not the front office. this is a guy who quits when he feels like it. Manny wanted out. there was nothing anyone could say to change that. if he wanted to stay he could have blocked the trade. the blame belongs with Manny and nobody else. Jason bay is a rookie of the year and a all star. hes a excellent player and far better then Brandon moss. i loved Manny but hes a head case that cant be trusted or counted on. the players wanted him gone. that speaks volumes. this was a trade Manny forced. Hansen was a bust. yes he threw in the mid to upper nineties. so what. if you cant command the strike zone it doesnt matter how fast you pitch. he was here four years and showed little if any improvement. i liked moss and would have liked to keep him. keep in mind this wasn't a trade the Sox were looking to make until Manny made it clear he would be a disruptive force in the club house. don't let the door hit you in the ass Manny. i will enjoy watching your skills decline in the up coming years . at 36 his best days are behind him. Theo was right to trade Mr glass nomar and he was right not to sign the often injured pedro. the sox did well to get bay. he will only hit better being surrounded by papi lowell youk and drew. Theo did the best he could under the circumstance's

Last edited:
He plays in the National League, aka, the Junior Varsity on a team that sucks bad gas and has so for years, so no, I am not bowled over by him or his numbers.

Clemens looked like Cy Young when he pitched for the Astros, or don't you recall? Bronson looked like a man possessed when he started out with the Reds and he sucks.

Is this a joke? Arroyo is the same mediocre pitcher there that he was here and Clemens was good in NY just like Houston. Not to mention the steroids. Or the fact that you're comparing (selectively and poorly) pitchers to hitters. How's Mark Texeira doing by the way? Miguel Cabrera? Just what the hell are you talking about?

Comparing someones numbers from the NL vs an AL player is apples to hand grenades. Manny is going to tear a new ******* into the NL over the next two months. Your "Manny's in decline" comment is assinine.

You just don't have a clue what you're talking about. He plays in the NL central with 3 of the best teams in baseball and Zambrano, Dempster, Sheets, CC Sabathia, Harden, Harang, Volquez, Oswalt etc. Seriously, did you just start watching basbeall yesterday? The NL Central is one of the top 3 best divisions in the league.

My "Manny is in decline comment is assinine." Once again a totally baseless statement backed up by nothing:

Career OPS: .999

OPS the last two years: .881, .926

He's 36 years old (7 years older that Bay) and 13 million dollars a year more expensive.

Just let it go, you aren't a very knowledgable fan of baseball.

Last edited:
LMAO, if you don't like the Manny trade (I'm not impressed by it) fine, but for God's sake do not compare this one to other trades most notably Nomar. A hatchet job? Yea, Manny was one fine human being, always giving himself whether to teammates or a sick child. If I'm not mistaken, the Nomar trade brought Boston a World Championship. This one most likely will not, tho, they were not going to win this year with Manny.

"Or that there was no chance whatsoever of getting any actual effort out of him for the rest of the season?"

So what are you saying; if the Red Sox sat down with Manny and his douchebag carpetbagger of an agent and said " We tried to trade you and could not. We are not going to pick up your option at the end of the year, so you are free to walk at the end of the year", he would have tanked it going into free agency, playing for his last contract? Quite the contrary, he would have lit it up the last two months of the year, your point is not valid at all.

Ummmm, that was already the case, and he was still quarter-assing it. The guy's always been a ******. He could have tanked the last couple of months and still gotten $20m/year when he walked.

"These quotes are all stupid." And you're an arrogant POS, so what's your point brainiac?

"Quoting Pink hats isn't the way to go here." Takes one to know one.

"Is this a joke?" No but you certainly are, and an arrogant one at at that.

"Arroyo is the same mediocre pitcher there that he was here" Do you have short term memory loss? Arroyo started out like a house of fire when he was traded to the Reds for Pena (another POS trade by Theo by the way), everyone around here was *****ing about the fact that Arroyo looked great in the Junior Varsity and Pena looked like a ball in tall grass, totally lost. Man you are one thickheaded nitwit.

"How's Mark Texeira doing by the way?" He did great in the AL vs the Junior Varsity

"Miguel Cabrera?" Made the NL All star team
"Just what the hell are you talking about?" WTF are you babbling about you effin clown?

"You just don't have a clue what you're talking about." You couldn't find your ass with both hands douchebag.

"Seriously,did you just start watching basbeall yesterday?" No assclown, I've been watching the sport since the early 1970's; what Little League team did you coach clambrain?

My "Manny is in decline comment is assinine." Once again a totally baseless statement backed up by nothing:

He's 36 years old (7 years older that Bay) and 13 million dollars a year more expensive. So because he's older and makes more money, he's in decline?

"Just let it go, you aren't a very knowledgable fan of baseball." You are the one who needs to let it go, you talk in circles and gloss over anything that disputes your assinine stance on this whole thing; do me a big fat favor and concentrate on the Patriots, you know jackeffinsquat about baseball.

"Is this a joke?" No but you certainly are, and an arrogant one at at that.

"Arroyo is the same mediocre pitcher there that he was here" Do you have short term memory loss? Arroyo started out like a house of fire when he was traded to the Reds for Pena (another POS trade by Theo by the way), everyone around here was *****ing about the fact that Arroyo looked great in the Junior Varsity and Pena looked like a ball in tall grass, totally lost. Man you are one thickheaded nitwit.

Arroyo started out hot over there and once they figured him out he got lit up. Wily Mo Pena was a long term project for the Sox. He could have, and still could be, developed into a good hitter. Not a great move, but not a disaster either, seeing as though Arroyo wouldn't sniff our lineup today.

"How's Mark Texeira doing by the way?" He did great in the AL vs the Junior Varsity

He's in the AL now, he came from the NL to the AL and has been his usual self for the Angels. I brought up him and Cabrera (two good NL hitters being good in the AL as well) to counter your meaningless point about two pitchers (Clemens and Pettite) being dominant in the NL and poor in the AL. Which wasn't true, was tainted by steroids, is a totally random, selective comparison and has no bearing here.

"Miguel Cabrera?" Made the NL All star team
"Just what the hell are you talking about?" WTF are you babbling about you effin clown?

If you still don't get it, I'm sorry, I can't help you out anymore.

"You just don't have a clue what you're talking about." You couldn't find your ass with both hands douchebag.

"Seriously,did you just start watching basbeall yesterday?" No assclown, I've been watching the sport since the early 1970's; what Little League team did you coach clambrain?

He's 36 years old (7 years older that Bay) and 13 million dollars a year more expensive. So because he's older and makes more money, he's in decline?

"Just let it go, you aren't a very knowledgable fan of baseball." You are the one who needs to let it go, you talk in circles and gloss over anything that disputes your assinine stance on this whole thing; do me a big fat favor and concentrate on the Patriots, you know jackeffinsquat about baseball.

You don't seem very stable so I think I'm gonna end it here. Good luck bud.

Last edited:
It's going to be weird without him :( Even weirder that he's playing for Joe Torre :rofl: I have a feeling Manny's going to light it up. :bricks:

Last edited:
The trade came down to 2 things:

1) The veteran players in the locker room told Epstein that he had to go - that they did not trust that he would play hard the rest of the year and that he was a cancer in their clubhouse.

2) For all the things he has done at the plate and all the love Boston fans have for him, the guy has zero trade value. Actually, that isn't true. He used to have no value - see his being waived and not claimed. At this point, he had negative value. The Sox had to give away things of value just to find 1 team in all of baseball who wanted the guy.

You put those 2 together, you get this deal. I'm actually surprised the Sox were able to even get a guy as good as Bay.

I

I shall now change my name to Nostrodamus.................

You can insert your apopolgy here for doubting me.............

Another interesting turn in this morning's Globe, apparently when he was told he was going to LA, Boras called back and said that Manny would be a "good Boy", if they drop the two options years.

What is sad about this, is that it confrims that Manny was loafing and doing this crap on purpose. I never said that they shouldn't have traded him, I just thought (and still do) that they gave up waaaay to much (BTW did anyone see Moss had 3 "webgemish" catches last night, including doubling off Fukadome).

Sad to say, but Manny has really tarnished his "legacy" in Boston with these antics. I don't know how much Boras is to blame for it, but it would be funny, if the Sox issued a BBlike edict that they would not longer negotiate with Boras clients.

I shall now change my name to Nostrodamus.................

You can insert your apopolgy here for doubting me.............
Actually that ball would have been a routine out at PNC Park, where it is about 410 to the wall in in left center, about 30 feet farther back than in Fenway. That hit is a perfect example of why moving to Fenway should help his numbers.

I don't know how much Boras is to blame for it, but it would be funny, if the Sox issued a BBlike edict that they would not longer negotiate with Boras clients.

It can't happen and I do not think players on the Sox would find it funny if the team came out and announced that it would no longer deal with Boras.

Jason Varitek, Jason Bay, JD Drew, Daisuke, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Alex Cora are all Boras clients. The Sox actually have a very good history of dealing with him and there is no doubt based on the names on that list they will be dealing with him in the future.

Last edited:
Contrary to recent rumor, Bay is actually represented by Joe Urbon, not Scott Boras.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back