PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Manny traded to the LA Dodgers

Real World

Reaction score
No details yet, but it's been reported by Gordon Edes, and is now up on mlb.com. I wonder who they got. If the Dodgers were drunk and gave up Kemp, that's a steal for Boston.

From the Globe's Nick Cafardo (4:25 p.m.): "The Red Sox may have landed [Jason] Bay."

From the Globe's Gordon Edes (4:20 p.m.): "It's my understanding that a trade has gone down with Manny Ramirez," Edes said on the NESN broadcat. Edes said that paperwork involving Ramirez had been faxed to the commissioner's office, and that his Red Sox sources were not calling him back, indicating they might be busy trying to get a deal done.

I hate any deal giving away a hall of famer, but it had to be done. Listening to curt this morning it was clear Manny had run it's course in boston, and they just said Bay is now a red sox.

It's apparently a 3 way deal involving the Dodgers & Pittsburg. Jason Bay comes to Boston, Manny to the LAD, and prospects to Pittsburg.

Love this trade. Absolutely made my day.

Can someone refresh me on who the hell Jason Bay is?

not sure how everyone is glad about this trade I understand that he is a distraction, but without him you would still be hearing the 1918 chant, plus if Bay does not pan out I weep for our future, we lost a first ballot HOF’er today

Damnit, I need a new screenname.

Seriously, Manny has alienated people who are/were obsessed with him, even me. I am sad to see him go, and I do think Boras played a role in this train wreck - and I also think Manny's comments about the FO's smear campaigns are completely true. All that said, it was lose-lose for the Sox. They probably don't make the playoffs without him, but who knows what they do if they keep him.

Honestly, I'd probably rather have had the comp picks (if Manny walked at the end of the year) then Bay. Long term, there was higher upside.

Last edited:
not sure how everyone is glad about this trade I understand that he is a distraction, but without him you would still be hearing the 1918 chant,

They wouldn't have won in 2004 without Orlando Cabrera, either.

Look, Manny is a HOFer. We all know it. But he's not irreplaceable anymore, and the second he started knocking sixty-year-old guys around because he couldn't get tickets he needed to get the f^&* out of town. Bay has the same numbers (which should get even better with a big wall to bash off of), is six years younger, isn't a total defensive liability, and costs about 1/4 of what Manny does.

They wouldn't have won in 2004 without Orlando Cabrera, either.

Look, Manny is a HOFer. We all know it. But he's not irreplaceable anymore, and the second he started knocking sixty-year-old guys around because he couldn't get tickets he needed to get the f^&* out of town. Bay has the same numbers (which should get even better with a big wall to bash off of), is six years younger, isn't a total defensive liability, and costs about 1/4 of what Manny does.

You’re preaching to the choir about Orlando, he was my favorite player on the sox; I was royally pissed when they traded him for
Edger
In terms of Bay I hope your right about him I’m just not as optimistic

We gave up too much ... I would have preferreed a promise to Manny to let him be a FA at the end of the season and taking the 2 draft picks. Then we could have signed whatever we wanted with the $20 million.

Oh well .... later Manny.

So the Red Sox in the end traded away a first ballot HOF player AND Moss AND Hansen for Bay; the entire AL, Hell all of baseball are laughing their balls off over this one.

I thought the point of trading deadline deals was to get stronger, not to piss away your playoff chances. I'd expect a trade like this if the Red Sox were 12 games out, not 3 and well in the hunt for both the division and the WC.

Can't wait to see how some of you nimrods spin this as a positive, this ought to be good.

Manny backed the front office into a corner, they blinked first and totally blew it; just effin pathetic.

Theo, you are complete and utter clown.

We gave up too much ... I would have preferreed a promise to Manny to let him be a FA at the end of the season and taking the 2 draft picks. Then we could have signed whatever we wanted with the $20 million.

Oh well .... later Manny.

What'd we give up? A 5.58 ERA/1.70 WHIP disappointment and a promising talent that wasn't going to become a regular anytime soon.

So the Red Sox in the end traded away a first ballot HOF player AND Moss AND Hansen for Bay; the entire AL, Hell all of baseball are laughing their balls off over this one.

I thought the point of trading deadline deals was to get stronger, not to piss away your playoff chances. I'd expect a trade like this if the Red Sox were 12 games out, not 3 and well in the hunt for both the division and the WC.

Can't wait to see how some of you nimrods spin this as a positive, this ought to be good.

Manny backed the front office into a corner, they blinked first and totally blew it; just effin pathetic.

Don't forget the Red Sox are paying the rest of Manny's 2008 contract too.

Does anyone care that Manny was always getting "injured" when elite pitchers were on the bump? Or that he was actually taking at-bats off? Or that there was no chance whatsoever of getting any actual effort out of him for the rest of the season?

I'm not going to feel good about this until I see this guy play. If he can follow Ortiz half as good as Manny did, at half the price, then this trade is an instant success.

I'm not going to feel good about this until I see this guy play. If he can follow Ortiz half as good as Manny did, at half the price, then this trade is an instant success.

I would have to lean towards the negative on that one :mad:

I don't get it, and I'm one that was wanting to see Manny leave. Ok, so the Red Sox say we will give you Manny and eat his salary for you, but wait, take Hanson too, wait, wait, we'll throw in Moss because he's also shown some promise.
Versus just waiving him and hope that NY doesn't get him.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back