PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Hightower, Cannon to retire

I expected Hightower to be released. Either way, I knew he wasn't coming back. Same deal with Cannon - too old at this point.

If Jules and McCourtey call it as well, the Patriots will be like James White, Gilmore and 51 players we've never heard of. (Joking, sort of)

I don’t see Hightower coaching for the Pats...he wants to be in warmer Tennessee with his family.

We knew Cannon was retiring since July. Curran/Perry mentioned it a couple times.

Hightower would be a huge loss. But he made enough money and won 3 titles, no reason to put his health on the line anymore. Makes sense but gonna wait for someone plugged in to confirm this.

We knew Cannon was retiring since July. Curran/Perry mentioned it a couple times.

Hightower would be a huge loss. But he made enough money and won 3 titles, no reason to put his health on the line anymore. Makes sense but gonna wait for someone plugged in to confirm this.
I wonder how much the year off makes these guys think more about what it feels like to hit and get hit hard again and again in this game.

I was thinking there was a chance Hightower would get cut but I mostly still believed he would be back for another year next year and I was looking forward to it, but it is what it is. Money freed up, of which they already will have plenty, and the younger guys are already getting play this year anyway so they’ll know whether they need to pursue a (or multiple) LB by then or if they think they have some of the answers in house.

Cannon had no shot of being on the team next year though, especially with the younger guys seemingly doing fine at RT.

I don't know who this Twitter rando is but this wouldn't shock me in the least. Same with Chung. All these guys have had lots of injuries, won rings, and made some money. No real reason to come back into a rebuild if Bill would even take them back at their salaries.

Yes. Quite possibly Cannon, Hightower, Chung, the McCourtys, Edelman. Those are going to be some big shoes to fill -- even if BB can find a viable quarterback.

I expected it for Cannon and Chung....

But Hightower man.....yeah he counts for 16M vs. the cap, but man...Hightower man...the dude has at least one good season left in him....

Some random dude said what most of us were already thinking. What’s the deal?

Considering cap limits and whkm we have at quarterback currently, 16 million for hightower for one season seems pretty excessive . So either they retire or come back at real low salaries. Logically they might be better off retiring. There has to be some core free agent signings next year to create new leaders. My guess is Trey flowers would come back next year around 8- 10 million and be one of the defensive captains.

Bill retiring after this season is not out of the question. We have a pretty big gaping hole and need to have a home run GM. Even bill would be doubting his capabilities as a GM.

We all knew Cannon was gone. Hightower is not unexpected either. Hopefully we can clear some cap and get some young talent

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back