PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady has given up at least $60 million to help NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s also the conservative estimate as the article points out. That’s given Belichick pretty unprecedented flexibility as a personnel evaluator and GM in the salary cap era. It’s made his life much, much easier.

This is not a "report" it is just some guy who writes for a media outlet giving his estimate. If you asked me the same question, I would have come up with a similar number. I actually think if Brady was solely focused on money, he could have done better than $60 million more.

Nothing new to Pats fans, TB12 is the man. The last paragraph of the article sums it up better than I could:

"You’ll be hard-pressed to ever find a better example of teammate altruism from a player of his stature. Just another reminder that Tom Brady is not the sports villain you’re looking for."

If you have something intelligent to say (which generously assumes you even have that capability), now would be a good time.

Dude, grow up. All i did was post a link to a positive article about Brady, and all you can say is, “I could have come up with the same number?” Business Insider is a credible source, and it’s doubtful you could have come up with the same analysis.

Nothing new to Pats fans, TB12 is the man. The last paragraph of the article sums it up better than I could:

"You’ll be hard-pressed to ever find a better example of teammate altruism from a player of his stature. Just another reminder that Tom Brady is not the sports villain you’re looking for."
It also goes to show that the mythical "Patriot Way" is really just "draft the greatest QB of all time in the 6th round, who happens to be the consummate team-first player and is willing to sacrifice tens of millions of dollars to stay in NE."

In other words, it's not an organizational philosophy which will be terribly easy to duplicate - either by NE's rivals or by NE themselves when the time comes.

Last edited:
Dude, grow up. All i did was post a link to a positive article about Brady, and all you can say is, “I could have come up with the same number?”
No what I said what I could have come up with a similar number and that if Brady was entirely focused only on money then the writer's $60 million number is too conservative.
Business Insider is a credible source, and it’s doubtful you could have come up with the same analysis.
There is nothing in that analysis I (as well as many other members of this forum, for that matter) could not have come up with if I had an internet connection and a half hour or so to research the actual numbers. What he does is assume Brady becomes a UFA every 4 years and signs deals equivalent to the highest paid QB at the time. It's an interesting analysis, but not exactly rocket science, though I suppose it completely amazes and befuddles you.

Furthermore, I think the analysis is too conservative because if Brady was solely interested in money, he would have done better than what ended up being the highest paid QB at the time.

No what I said what I could have come up with a similar number and that if Brady was entirely focused only on money then the writer's $60 million number is too conservative.
There is nothing in that analysis I could not have come up with if I had an internet connection and a half hour or so to research the actual numbers. What he does is assume Brady becomes a UFA every 4 years and signs deals equivalent to the highest paid QB at the time. It's an interesting analysis, but not exactly rocket science, though I suppose it completely amazes and befuddles you.

Furthermore, I think the analysis is too conservative because if Brady was solely interested in money, he would have done better than what ended up being the highest paid QB at the time.

I understand the article is nothing genius. However, to my knowledge, no one on this forum has ever quantified how much Brady actually saved NE. It was shared to put into perspective the sacrifice this man has made for us. And if you could have come up with a similar/better number, why didn’t you? You’ve been on this forum for years.

Last edited:
I understand the article is nothing genius. However, to my knowledge, no one on this forum has ever quantified how much Brady actually saved NE. It was shared to put into perspective the sacrifice this man has made for us. And if you could have come up with a similar/better number, why didn’t you? You’ve been on this forum for years.
Well, since you mention it, it is something I have been discussing for years. I never took the time to come up with an actual number, but I have made repeated references to the fact Brady is playing for the Patriots for a significant discount, a discount which extends into tens of millions of dollars over the course of his career. Quite honestly, I never considered those statements to be terribly insightful, as I consider it to be pretty obvious. But I guess what is obvious to some is not obvious to all...

but I have made repeated references to the fact Brady is playing for the Patriots for a significant discount, a discount which extends into tens of millions of dollars over the course of his career.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. Too bad you didn’t give an actual number like Business Insider.

I knew Brady was going to be a first ballot HOFer before he was drafted. I didn’t say it to anyone at the time though. Does that count lol? :rolleyes:

screen-shot-2017-02-07-at-10-25-53-am.png

Edit:

Brady has given up over $60 million to help “ME

Wishful thinking, but sounds better :D

From the link within the link:

The conservative estimate put his contract discounts at $60 million, but could have been closer to $100 million.
"Tom Brady has sacrificed at least $60 million in his career with discount contracts to keep the Patriots competitive

We imagined a scenario where Brady signed new deals in 2005, 2009, 2013, and 2017 that were the equivalent of the going rate for the top quarterback at the time. In each of those four years, we imagined Brady signing a new contract equal to that of the biggest contracts for veteran quarterbacks that had been signed before that season or the previous season. We also imagined that Brady only played four seasons under each contract and then signed a new deal.

Here are the contracts we used:
  • 2005: Peyton Manning — 7 years, $99.2 million
  • 2009: Eli Manning — 6 years, $99.8 million
  • 2013: Drew Brees — 5 years, $100 million
  • 2017: Ben Roethlisberger — 4 years, $87.4 million"

Last edited:
That’s also the conservative estimate as the article points out. That’s given Belichick pretty unprecedented flexibility as a personnel evaluator and GM in the salary cap era. It’s made his life much, much easier.

But he missed voluntary camp. His true colors are shining. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes