PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady almost left after SB 52 loss to Eagles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could have sworn that Brady carried the team to a victory on the road in the freezing cold against the favored Chiefs with 3 straight must have TD drives when all the chips were down in 2018 but based on this thread I must be mistaken. And the Pats AVERAGED over 30 PPG in that playoff run and that includes a game against the Chargers where they basically shut it down in the 2nd half.

I could have sworn that Brady carried the team to a victory on the road in the freezing cold against the favored Chiefs with 3 straight must have TD drives when all the chips were down in 2018 but based on this thread I must be mistaken. And the Pats AVERAGED over 30 PPG in that playoff run and that includes a game against the Chargers where they basically shut it down in the 2nd half.
Sigh... the board was upgraded but I guess Ian couldn't also upgrade the posts. :whistle:

Yes poor Tompa Boy things were so rough for him here :rolleyes: He sucked last year.

Sanu was such a pile of dogshit they released him, Harry sucks, Edelman was beyond hobbled, and the TE's were abysmal. The best weapon on the team was James White a 3rd down back. Outside of maybe Mahomes, Wilson, or Watson what QB would succeed with that core. And I'm not even sure they could do it.

what happened was Belichick coached this team to 3-1 with JG and Brissett. Then Brady came back. So it’s silly to use that against Bill.

Not that different. The Pats and Colts were missing their superstar QBs for a season. The Pats with Belichick finished 11-5. The Colts without a decent coach went to 2-14. So clearly a) Manning meant more to his team than Brady meant to his and b) Belichick’s coaching had and still has a lot of value. Brady hasn’t done a thing without Belichick. So we don’t know what it would be like the other way around.

Fair enough and i agree. I have no plans to go out of my way to cheer for Brady’s team unless his team winning benefits my team directly or if they’re playing a team I hate. No different than how it is for any other rival QB.

The 08 team also got crushed by every playoff team they faced and were 5 games worse than the year prior. With Brady they probably go 14-2 or 13-3. I know for damn sure the Stillers wouldn't have been the AFC representative in the Superbowl since they have been the Patriots ***** since 2001.

The oft reported Patriots mantra that it is better to leave or cut a player a year too early rather an year too late is a theme here...

The Brady I saw in '18 & '19 was not the same Brady that we saw for all the time previous, people will claim lack of talent.. but for years we saw Brady make chicken salad out of chicken crap, so the lack of talent is BS...

This will be rehashed a gazillion times, but the reality it was time to move on.. you don't keep an aging player for the sake of posterity or making him feel good.

The oft reported Patriots mantra that it is better to leave or cut a player a year too early rather an year too late is a theme here...

The Brady I saw in '18 & '19 was not the same Brady that we saw for all the time previous, people will claim lack of talent.. but for years we saw Brady make chicken salad out of chicken crap, so the lack of talent is BS...

This will be rehashed a gazillion times, but the reality it was time to move on.. you don't keep an aging player for the sake of posterity or making him feel good.

the ‘18 season was where the talent on offense began to go down drastically. Gronk was injured and not himself, Jules missed the first 4 games. Michel was injured at the beginning. They find there groove late. Brady was not great in the Super Bowl except in the fourth quarter as usual but only Edelman and Gronk showed up in the passing game in this superbowl. Where were white, hogan, Burkhead, Patterson??

Brady is old that’s a fact but i think he can still play. The difference is, and I think that is what Bill failed to realize or maybe it was on purpose, he needs a little more help than before. Help he didn’t get the last two years or maybe at least last year. I think that at 40, the capacity he had to carry a team with guys from the streets, has diminished.

That why I believe, he will be in the mvp conversation this year with Tampa at 43. Last year, a combination of Jules, a good receiver and a good TE would have made a huge difference.

The 2018 offense wasn’t that bad. They had 407 yards in SB 52. Burkhead had 6.1 yards per carry.

That offense put up 41 against LA and 37 against KC in the playoffs.

Sanu was such a pile of dogshit they released him, Harry sucks, Edelman was beyond hobbled, and the TE's were abysmal. The best weapon on the team was James White a 3rd down back. Outside of maybe Mahomes, Wilson, or Watson what QB would succeed with that core. And I'm not even sure they could do it.

And maybe if Tompa Boy was willing to work with Harry instead of shutting him out and pouting in press conferences about his offense - that would have made a huge difference. Seems to be more than willing to do that with his new team and their receivers. Go figure.

The 08 team also got crushed by every playoff team they faced and were 5 games worse than the year prior. With Brady they probably go 14-2 or 13-3. I know for damn sure the Stillers wouldn't have been the AFC representative in the Superbowl since they have been the Patriots ***** since 2001.

Not with that defense they wouldn't.

The Brady Pats in 08 would probably make the playoffs - Cassel was responsible for the Colts loss so there's the 1 extra win - but then more than likely get truck stomped in the playoffs.

Or for nostalgia.

Brady had inferior talent to work with in 06 and 13 and maybe 09 after Moss left - and he still looked a lot better than he did last year.

And maybe if Tompa Boy was willing to work with Harry instead of shutting him out and pouting in press conferences about his offense - that would have made a huge difference. Seems to be more than willing to do that with his new team and their receivers. Go figure.

Harry missed half the season. Maybe if he didn't get hurt there would have been a chance for him. Although every plan they made at the position went to **** last year.

Harry missed half the season. Maybe if he didn't get hurt there would have been a chance for him. Although every plan they made at the position went to **** last year.

Yes he did. Tom should have still done a lot more to work with him rather than writing him off. Cam is working with him- let's see what happens.

Not with that defense they wouldn't.

The Brady Pats in 08 would probably make the playoffs - Cassel was responsible for the Colts loss so there's the 1 extra win - but then more than likely get truck stomped in the playoffs.
You post this all the time but you ignore the correlating effect of football. Brady took significant pressure off the defense in 2007 because we always jumped out to huge leads early and we could sustain long drives in a way Cassel couldn’t. You’re making a very reductive argument

You post this all the time but you ignore the correlating effect of football. Brady took significant pressure off the defense in 2007 because we always jumped out to huge leads early and we could sustain long drives in a way Cassel couldn’t. You’re making a very reductive argument

The defense in 07 was decent even if a bit overrated for reasons you stated.

The defense in 08 was several notches below decent. Harrison gone early. Deltha O'Neal replacing Asante was just one of the talent downgrades. Giving up 30+ points on average to every good team you play then it's safe to say Brady's presence wouldn't make much of a difference if any.

Everyone says 16-0 if Brady didn't get hurt - I don't see it at all.

The defense in 07 was decent even if a bit overrated for reasons you stated.

The defense in 08 was several notches below decent. Deltha O'Neal replacing Asante was just one of the talent downgrades. Giving up 30+ points on average to every good team you play then it's safe to say Brady's presence wouldn't make much of a difference if any.

Everyone says 16-0 if Brady didn't get hurt - I don't see it at all.
It’s not safe to say that when Brady could break 30 with his eyes closed against some of the best teams and defenses in the league with that offense

No they didn’t tank. they were really that bad without Manning. The Patriots were competitive without Brady. Facts.

Teams don’t tank. Never have, never will.
The Clots sucked for Luck, purposefully.

....but the poster is right, Brady wasn't great last year or in 2018. His last best year was 2017. It's possible Bill saw a decline during that time period that the rest of us can't see. I mean, he only coached him for 20 years...
Perhaps...However - and this is a point people sometimes do not take into account - There is no other QB in the league who would've squeezed more out of our "weapons" last season than Brady did...Nobody...

If you're going to mock JG for blowing a 2 score lead, I guess you forgot Brady was one Dee Ford offside from doing the same thing in the AFC Championship game the year before...
That pass should've been caught; instead it went off Gronkowski's hands...but I guess you forgot that...

Kneal Harry sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes