PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady almost left after SB 52 loss to Eagles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the plus side, after a long successful run resulting in six banners, we'll get the answer to the question, Bill or Tom?

The real answer is always both. As great as Bill is, without Brady "the plan" is just a list of things that don't happen.

He is not more valuable than the culture though.
Says who? How many playoff games has Bill won in his life as HC without Brady? Brady started 18 full seasons for him. He had 7 without him. That’s equal to 38% of his time with Brady.

He has 1 playoff win. He has 30 with Brady.

So you are just going off a massive assumption that the culture he establishes is more valuable than the player when that hasn’t been proven.

Of course he was more important than the other players. QB is probably the most important position in team sports.

However, the reason why the Patriots were so successful is because they had a QB that 100% bought into the team concept and did not see himself as bigger than the rest of the team. That's why all his teammates loved him so much. That's why you NEVER hear any former teammate ***** about him. That's why you have guys in TB saying how much they love him already.

Brady led by example and was accountable for his every mistakes. Having the MAIN GUY accept and thrive under that kind of regime is what makes the regime work. There is no denying that.

Tom got tired of it and thought he had earned some slack... which is true. As sad as I am that he left, I understand why he did and I understand why BB could not or would not change his approach. I would not have worked with all QBs. A diva like Manning would have gotten BB fired within 3 years.
The very qualities of Belichick that alienated the Cleveland and national media, enabled the Patriots' success. Kraft deserves as much credit for hiring BB and keeping him as he deserves to be shat upon for not restoring our real helmets and jerseys when he purchased the team, less than ten months after the abomination was perpetrated, ignoring unanimous fan choice, 32 years of history and minimal aesthetic awareness.

Look at all the pressure Raymond Berry must have felt to keep on starting Eason over vastly better quarterbacks. Yes, it was his choice, but Eason was the first round draft pick being paid the big money. Grogan was the 'creaky, old, fragile, practically washed up hanger on relic' and Flutie was the 'local yokel short kid not NFL level material desperation move'.

For both Berry and Belichick and any head coach, it is often hard to see the forest for the trees. Starting Eason was as totally stupid as benching Butler, for a myriad of reasons directly tied to winning the football game or not.

But for Bill, being stubborn paid off. He didn't have to draft Brady at all, and didn't have to keep him on the roster. A year later, it was blindingly obvious to the football sighted, and invisible to Bledsoe/flying elvis worshippers that Brady had to stay as the starter if the team was going to win.

Contrast the wrong deifying of Bledsoe, whom I would not start over Brady, Grogan, Plunkett, Flutie, Parilli, Kapp or Dowling EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES in any game I was interested in winning; and who continues to be treated like Houston Antwine and Julius Adams deserved to be treated and never were; and who does not belong in Canton especially with a thousand far more deserving players not in; with Tom Brady still being treated as the 6th round nobody who had to be coached up when the big shot snob star got hurt, instead of not only a transcendent, once in a lifetime player, total team guy and winner with top personal values, but also who overcame hardship and tremendous odds to attend a big time college and become a starter, captain and leader only to be treated like a drug-addicted, locker room cancer, criminal malcontent delinquent on draft day.

Tom Brady is human. From the 'system quarterback' crap to actually being suspended by the league for fabricated charges, Tom, like every other Patriot had nothing to do with team denigration flatulated by local and national media since the 1970 merger.

Give Tom a break. And put Julius Adams belatedly into the Pats' erstwhile Hall of Shame, and put Houston Antwine likewise belatedly into the Pro Football Hall of Shame.

If he wants to be part of this organization he -- like everyone else -- will have to e.g. sit through the indignity of getting ripped to shreds by his coaches during film sessions on low light Mondays.
... as Bledsoe was?

But it is not just Brady that is being coached hard but everyone. It is not just him that has to sacrifice on individual needs and show the mental fortitude to put the team first but everyone.

What it boils down to is that Brady got to a point where he wasn't a culture fit here anymore without reportedly being unhappy. How do you make him happy without compromising the carefully cultivated culture if the things that make him unhappy are inherent in said culture ?

The mistake the other poster makes is trivializing this to "it was just BB's decision" when this goes deep into the fundamental values that represent this team. I don't see how you can reconcile both positions and so the smartest way was to move on.
It continues to shock me how people including sports leaders right here in Boston are absolutely ignorant of Red Auerbach.

Bill Russell was treated COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY from the rest of the Celtics. Russ was often thrown out of practice, so the team could get some work done. I guess Belichick is more studious of football history than basketball.

I get that Tom as a second year kid after the game goes up to Bill in New Orleans, asking if he can skip the team meeting to accept the MVP award.

It's not like Tom was late for or skipped practices. It was ludicrous how the media vilified him for skipping optional workouts after 17 years.

I've always liked Bill Belichick, even when he was with the despised Giants.

But Red Auerbach is like Vito Corleone. And Belichick is like Michael.

Belichick has been to 9 SBs and won 6.... just as a head coach. Some of you are forgetting, hilariously, where our collective bread is buttered...

You can always count on this board for some thorough, dependable BB Ball washing. Brady stunk last year?! DOES THE WORST WR AND TE CORPS IN THE ENTIRE NFL HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?! The BB homer crew is in for a rude awakening this year when Brady lights it up in Tampa with real weapons and the BB scrubs end up 7-9. 5 straight BB bust drafts and roster mismanagement are about to catch up with the team this year. Stidham is a joke and you're putting your hope on PITA Newton and his busted chicken wing? LOL. Brady built this dump into a juggernaut and he's gone after being mistreated and underpaid for a decade. Good for him and pity for the Pats.

Yes poor Tompa Boy things were so rough for him here :rolleyes: He sucked last year.

It's Jimmy Garoppolo's fault.

Belichick has been to 9 SBs and won 6.... just as a head coach. Some of you are forgetting, hilariously, where our collective bread is buttered...
uh.... Brady went with him to every single one of those SB's....

I’m sorry, but it’s pretty lame of Brady to force the Pats to trade Jimmy G, then request a trade as soon as they give in to his demands. In fact, it’s unforgivable.

Tommy Baby was afraid the Pats might win a super bowl with Jimmy G and make him look bad. So he forced Jimmy out of town, then requested his trade. If Tommy had any balls, he would have cared less about Jimmy G, moved on and let the Pats sink or swim with Jimmy G.

F Tom. Let’s see how he does with his goofball “offense” coach and sub-par OL. Funny how he needs all pro weapons and OL to be successful.

How many SBs has Belichick been to as a head coach without Tom Brady?

That except about Gisele whining to Kraft tells me all I know. He changed after her and she drove him mentally out of town. She is the Yoko in this whole situation.
It’s no secret she wants him retired so they can be full-time jet setters. Breaking up the GOAT NFL team of TB, BB, and the Kraft family was just a step towards that end.

Choosing to look at the positive... in a sport where the SB losing team often doesn't even make the playoffs the following season, for the Pats to make it back to and win the SB (Rams) the following season with all the strife between the two most important figures to the organization's success is even more mindblowing! It's yet another example of how "once-in-a-lifetime" what the Patriots did the past 20 seasons really is. As fans, I think it necessary sometimes to stop bickering and truly reflect on how amazing the ride has been, whether it's over or not.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but it’s pretty lame of Brady to force the Pats to trade Jimmy G, then request a trade as soon as they give in to his demands. In fact, it’s unforgivable.

Tommy Baby was afraid the Pats might win a super bowl with Jimmy G and make him look bad. So he forced Jimmy out of town, then requested his trade. If Tommy had any balls, he would have cared less about Jimmy G, moved on and let the Pats sink or swim with Jimmy G.

F Tom. Let’s see how he does with his goofball “offense” coach and sub-par OL. Funny how he needs all pro weapons and OL to be successful.
You don't seriously believe that it was Brady who "forced" the trade of Grop at the deadline, do you?

Nobody "forces" anything on Bill except the man who pays him...unless you believe that the Early Bird acted on Brady's request...and Bill was still under no obligation to do anything the rest of that season anyway...Sorry not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back