PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember when 300 passing yards was considered a good day?

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know, there are rules favoring offenses and the protection of quarterbacks that extend drives........but still.......isn't it crazy to think that 17 quarterbacks threw for 295+ yards this past weekend?

Five of them went over 400 yards (Goff, Luck, Carr, Cousins, Ryan).

Due to bye weeks there were only 30 starting quarterbacks this weekend.

Side note: while the league was lighting up the stats, the lowest yardage total of those with 15+ attempts was Ryan Tannehill with a paltry 100 yards (good job, Pats!)

A win is a good day. Total passing yards doesn't correlate particularly well with winning. Never has, really, including back when Indy fans used it to pump up Manning and run down Brady.

I know that the point was that the raw numbers have gone up, and they certainly have. My point is that they are still of limited value.

I read that Andrew Luck had 1150 passing yards so far this year, which is a pace for roughly 4600 passing yards.

That ranked 16th in the league. :eek:

YPA is a better indicator than total yardage with some of the wild attempt numbers being thrown around (no pun intended).

Which is why defensive
I know, I know, there are rules favoring offenses and the protection of quarterbacks that extend drives........but still.......isn't it crazy to think that 17 quarterbacks threw for 295+ yards this past weekend?

Side note: while the league was lighting up the stats, the lowest yardage total of those with 15+ attempts was Ryan Tannehill with a paltry 100 yards (good job, Pats!)

...and the teams that threw for over 295 were 10-7.

Which is why yards allowed per game low on the list of relevant defensive statistics.

I remeber when 300 rushing yards seemed within reach...

Pats’ Past: The record that will never be broken

Because of the evolution of the game strategy and rules, NFL stats don't withstand the test of time like baseball stats do.

In ten years all passing records will be held by QBs that played within those same 10 years.

To me it’s not the passing yards but the points that are increasing rapidly.

When 300 passing yards gives us a win it is always a good day. TB12 threw over 500 yards last SB but it was like Pyrrhic victory.

Pre smartphone I remember having eyes glued to the stadium jumbotron to see if Bledsoe went over 300...

4,000 yard passing seasons by decade:

(None before 1967)
1960's: 1
1970's: 1
1980's: 14
1990's: 22
2000's: 46
2010's: 79 (so far)

To me it’s not the passing yards but the points that are increasing rapidly.

While this is true overall, the highest scoring NFL game occurred on November 27, 1966.

72 – 41 still sounds like an outrageous score, even in the current, pass happy NFL.

While this is true overall, the highest scoring NFL game occurred on November 27, 1966.

72 – 41 still sounds like an outrageous score, even in the current, pass happy NFL.
That game only had 456 passing yards, 145 by the team that scored 72.
72 included 2 defensive scores and a punt return td and 6 TDs of 45 yards or more.
Skins score 72 points with only 341 yards of total offense and 16 first downs. But 6 takeaways on defense.

Not a long time ago the league was in a drought of good QB playing, you had 5 or 6 decent QB's including the HOF's. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Ben, Brees, some other guy in a good year. All the other guys were garbage.

That started to change with Luck, Wilson and RG3 draft, even though only Wilson can be considered a winner from this group.

Anyway, there was a revolving door of QB's around the league and that resulted in some aberrations like Mike Glennon getting a top contract, that former Packers backup QB also got a good contract from the Seahawks and got outplayed by the rookie Wilson in training camp.

In these days that seem to be in the past, almost all teams have a potential franchise QB either developing or already in place. Almost all these guys at least can make a decent pass, they still need development in other aspects of QBing but they can pass, in these past that I was mentioning there was guys playing in primetime sometimes that couldn't make a 20 yard pass. That among the rules is what is making the games look like College Football.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back